Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

SEARCH STILL ON FOR LED WING POSITION LITE BULBS

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I felt like I had hit a home run when I got the LED bulb to fit into the Grimes taillight socket - But sure struck out on wing position lights - Seems like Grimes, in its wisdom, to prevent some dummy from putting the mirror side forward instead of behind, made the bayonet pins at different heights, so the 1156 bulbs will not lock in. There were some old auto bulbs made this way, but not LED, as far as I know.

We can keep looking, but it may be a lost cause - to find a single-contact LED bulb with staggered pins, unless someone wants to order a trainload from the Chinese cheap and sell them here for a lot less than Grimes bulbs cost.

Now, if someone who is very good with a Dremel grinder and a small cutter could go into the socket and cut a new slot - well -

Sorry, electricly-challenged 2-cycle flyers.........

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I felt like I had hit a home run when I got the LED bulb to fit into the Grimes taillight socket - But sure struck out on wing position lights - Seems like Grimes, in its wisdom, to prevent some dummy from putting the mirror side forward instead of behind, made the bayonet pins at different heights, so the 1156 bulbs will not lock in. There were some old auto bulbs made this way, but not LED, as far as I know.

We can keep looking, but it may be a lost cause - to find a single-contact LED bulb with staggered pins, unless someone wants to order a trainload from the Chinese cheap and sell them here for a lot less than Grimes bulbs cost.

Now, if someone who is very good with a Dremel grinder and a small cutter could go into the socket and cut a new slot - well -

Sorry, electricly-challenged 2-cycle flyers.........

ED in MO

If you want to try it yourself, use an 1157 base add solder between the tips and add leds until you get then epoxy the leds into the base you could pull power off either and solder to the copper base, if you put it in backwards it won't light.

Posted

I wonder if you could remove the socket from the Grimes light and replace it with an automotive socket made for the 1156 bulb. I just thought of this after reading your post so I haven't actually looked at the parts yet. If I ever get a day off work I will take a look and see what I can figure out.

-Robert-

Posted (edited)

If you want to try it yourself, use an 1157 base add solder between the tips and add leds until you get then epoxy the leds into the base you could pull power off either and solder to the copper base, if you put it in backwards it won't light.

Guess I will leave that for somebody else, or the Chinese. My Soob is not electricly-challenged.

For the Rotax Drivers, there is a set of ultralight LED wingtip lights on Ebay for $99, but not legal for night flight. But good for Twilight or early Dawn flights.

FLASH OF CHEAP LIGHTNING JUST HIT MY OLD BRAIN: There are lots of 1157 LED taillight and turnsignal combo bulbs being sold on Ebay - So simple to solder the two contact points on the base together and there you have your LED GRIMES WINGTIP POSITION LIGHT....OR, Just solder a small metal disk onto the wire contact so the wire connects with both contacts......BUT, make sure this disk is not large enough to ground out on the socket.

"Old brains work slowly - but they keep working!" GUESS THAT ENDS MY SEARCH FOR CHEAP LIGHTS........

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks. Believe I have seen similiar bulbs on ebay for lots less money - but probably not strobes too -

NOW WHY would you want a strobe inside your red/green position lights - strobes are supposed to be seperate, I think? And probably not approved that way by the Feurer of American Aviation.....

ED in MO