Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

radiator

23 posts in this topic

Posted

I am finishing up going through this plane to know what I have..........thought I was done........I now need a cheek cowl radiator or repair this one.

Has anyone found any automotive ones that will work?????

Brian

Posted (edited)

I am finishing up going through this plane to know what I have..........thought I was done........I now need a cheek cowl radiator or repair this one.

Brian

RFI was using Chevrolet AC (evaporator/condenser???) (not the big thing that is up front) with water fittings welded on - Ford not as good - junkyard or radiator shop used item cheap - Would have to check my books - some were better than others. Believe Stratus may have used these too? Did you check on cost to re-core yours? Didnt see photo to see what was needing repaired on yours.

I wonder if anyone has ever tried using auto heater-cores?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

When my brother muffed his radiator up when the gear folded on his plane, we took the radiator in to the local automotive shop and the guy fixed his for around 75 bucks. We then had him make a new one (belly mount) for around 150 bucks. When I called on the price of in cowl radiators for a MK IV it was 1000 bucks... YIKES.

I would look around locally and see if you have a radiator shop that can do a quick repair on your "go cart" or "air boat" radiator

:BC:

Posted (edited)

When my brother muffed his radiator up when the gear folded on his plane, we took the radiator in to the local automotive shop and the guy fixed his for around 75 bucks. We then had him make a new one (belly mount) for around 150 bucks. When I called on the price of in cowl radiators for a MK IV it was 1000 bucks... YIKES.

I would look around locally and see if you have a radiator shop that can do a quick repair on your "go cart" or "air boat" radiator

Yes, dont say airplane - Tell them it is a heater core for your Massey Harris or Massey Ferguson tractor - if he is under 60 years old, he wont know what you are talking about!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Brian

If you find a pair for sale, and dont intend to buy them, please let me know.

ED in MO

Posted

If you find a pair for sale, and dont intend to buy them, please let me know.

ED in MO

Yea I know the routine about it being a go cart...........about 10 years ago I was buying 2 stroke oil at a motorcycle shop I frequented.I had already payed and as I was leaving mentioned it was for a ul airplane.The guy started telling me I had to give the oil back.Ever since they are always go carts.

I did go to Oreillys and went through there heater core book.I have one coming to check out.

Brian

Posted (edited)

Yea I know the routine about it being a go cart...........about 10 years ago I was buying 2 stroke oil at a motorcycle shop I frequented.I had already payed and as I was leaving mentioned it was for a ul airplane.The guy started telling me I had to give the oil back.Ever since they are always go carts.

I did go to Oreillys and went through there heater core book.I have one coming to check out.

Brian

Let me know how you come out - I have OReilly and a Rad shop real close to me. I think I have some figures on rad cooling area that might help sometime. Right now I have a belly-mount VW Rabbit rad that did well on a Pelican with a cooling tunnel built into the cowling - but always have the thought of Cheek rads on my mind.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Let me know how you come out - I have OReilly and a Rad shop real close to me. I think I have some figures on rad cooling area that might help sometime. Right now I have a belly-mount VW Rabbit rad that did well on a Pelican with a cooling tunnel built into the cowling - but always have the thought of Cheek rads on my mind.

ED in MO

I got the heater core from oriellys tonight.Size wise it is 1/2 smaller in width and height than what was in there.But......the ones that came in the plane have 1 inch in and outlets. The new one has 5/8 or 3/4. I think it should be alright for this time of year,but may have to watch temps come summer.Best part is this is only 35 bucks!!!

Brian in MO

Posted (edited)

I got the heater core from oriellys tonight.Size wise it is 1/2 smaller in width and height than what was in there.But......the ones that came in the plane have 1 inch in and outlets. The new one has 5/8 or 3/4. I think it should be alright for this time of year,but may have to watch temps come summer.Best part is this is only 35 bucks!!!

Brian in MO

Part of the cooling equation is thickness and fin density - dont think most heater cores compare with rads. Watch your temp gage.

My books say you dont need the one inch or larger auto hoses - AN fittings or about 3/4 inch are enough.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I looked at a lot of heater cores and AC condensors when I was trying to figure out a cheaper way to go with in cowl radiators. I could never find one that had 3/4 inlets and outlets and the fin size was quite a bit different than used in the radiators. In the end I didn't think they would be quite enough for the EA81. Maybe for a 582 you could run 2 heater cores in parallel and stack them one behind the other if you could figure out how to fit them in the cheek. I ended up paying the bucks and bought a dual set of custom aluminum radiators that RAM had built; right around $695 after I had them weld on mounting tabs in the locations I wanted and shipping. So far they have worked well so I guess that is what counts after the pain wears off.

Posted

Brian in MO

Brian,

I would be very cautious about chancing overheating a Soob - If the one you have is half-size, then why not look for a larger one or use 2 of what you have, Or, go to rad shop and see what they can put together for you that is the same or nearly same as your other cheek rad? Can you get the one repaired? I am wondering if there is a way to mount the VW Rabbit rad up in front, since I know it works. Lots of unknowns and aw-shits when it comes to cooling.

ED in MO

Posted

I will give a little more info

1 my plane has a 582

2 it also is set up with 2 cheek cowl radiators and a belly radiator

Brian

Posted

I will give a little more info

1 my plane has a 582

2 it also is set up with 2 cheek cowl radiators and a belly radiator

Brian

If you have the belly radiator, why do you need the cheek radiators? The belly radiator should be enough for you.

Posted

If you have the belly radiator, why do you need the cheek radiators? The belly radiator should be enough for you.

My 532 flew just fine with a belly rad 1/2 the size of my VW Rabbit rad.

Sorry, thought you had a Soob, and these need more cooling. If you decide to ditch the cheek rads, I would be interested.

ED in MO

Posted

My 532 flew just fine with a belly rad 1/2 the size of my VW Rabbit rad.

Sorry, thought you had a Soob, and these need more cooling. If you decide to ditch the cheek rads, I would be interested.

ED in MO

This is the way it was set up when I got it.............have not flown it yet.Just everything that is there up to tiptop

shape

Brian

Posted (edited)

This is the way it was set up when I got it.............have not flown it yet.Just everything that is there up to tiptop

shape

Brian

I would be calling the seller to try and get some answers. Have never seen this on any plane or in any manual.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I would be calling the seller to try and get some answers. Have never seen this on any plane or in any manual.

ED in MO

When i got it he said he was having some troubles with temps with the cheeek radiators only.He put a small rad under the belly(his buddy handbuilt areally cool fiberglass shroud)

Brian

Posted (edited)

I looked at a lot of heater cores and AC condensors when I was trying to figure out a cheaper way to go with in cowl radiators. I could never find one that had 3/4 inlets and outlets and the fin size was quite a bit different than used in the radiators. In the end I didn't think they would be quite enough for the EA81. Maybe for a 582 you could run 2 heater cores in parallel and stack them one behind the other if you could figure out how to fit them in the cheek. I ended up paying the bucks and bought a dual set of custom aluminum radiators that RAM had built; right around $695 after I had them weld on mounting tabs in the locations I wanted and shipping. So far they have worked well so I guess that is what counts after the pain wears off.

Randy,

My books on using the Chevy AC condensors says to have AN 3/4 inch fittings welded to them and use AN fittings on hoses.

I dont see why you couldnt use push-on fittings instead. That would be cheaper, and probably lighter yet.

Used condensors At $5 each at junkyards - Lighter and makes $ense. Condensors cannot be repaired for AC use because of the extremely high pressures in the AC system.

I think that Reinhard used these on the first Stratus engines.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Brian in MO

Brian,

Hope you get your cooling problems solved - You might check out your water pump - some of these have plastic impellers that can slip on the driveshaft and not pump the amount required - also the thermostat.

Now for the (maybe?) bad news - My book says that heater cores are usually denser than rads, and operate in a "blower-forced-air" condition, where the rad is designed to let air flow thru it easier, like airstream air.

Good Luck,

ED in MO

P.S. You might take your hoses off and do a flow test on your main and cheek rad, or have a rad shop test them. Vinegar will eat away the calcium, or have them boiled out at a shop.

ONLY DISTILLED WATER SHOULD BE USED IN RAD SYSTEMS (WITH CORRECT ALUMINUM ANTIFREEZE 50/50 MIX) Most of our water is loaded with calcium from the limestone in the earth.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Alot of people had issues with the in-cowl radiators. I think the biggest contributor to that was not using good baffeling to direct the airflow over the radiators. The quick fix was to toss a belly mount radiator on it and forget it. Thats what I did! and many many others.

Posted

Alot of people had issues with the in-cowl radiators. I think the biggest contributor to that was not using good baffeling to direct the airflow over the radiators. The quick fix was to toss a belly mount radiator on it and forget it. Thats what I did! and many many others.

Never heard of any engine needing a belly rad and 2 cheek rads together. Believe there must be something wrong with system or engine.

ED in MO

Posted

Has anyone come up with a solution on this subject I have bought an avid that I am rebuilding and it did not come with the motor or anything firewall forward it has to be completely rebuilt including the covering I want to use a Rotax 583 engine on this aircraft any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Bob

Never heard of any engine needing a belly rad and 2 cheek rads together. Believe there must be something wrong with system or engine.

ED in MO

Posted

Has anyone come up with a solution on this subject I have bought an avid that I am rebuilding and it did not come with the motor or anything firewall forward it has to be completely rebuilt including the covering I want to use a Rotax 583 engine on this aircraft any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks Bob

If you are going to use a 583, then why dont you contact Steve at Airscrew and find out what he uses?

Ed in MO