Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

metalized wings

6 posts in this topic

Posted

I read on here someone said something about metalized wings. Found this one on craigslist and it says it has metalized wings. I might get ahold of him to see what he actually did or how he did it.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/3290873015.html

Posted (edited)

I read on here someone said something about metalized wings. Found this one on craigslist and it says it has metalized wings. I might get ahold of him to see what he actually did or how he did it.

http://anchorage.craigslist.org/rvs/3290873015.html

I had the wings on my Ercoupe metalized - hundreds of rivets and 35 pounds later they were nice.

But remember, the Ercoupe had metal ribs - you would need to put aluminum strips under each side of ribcaps for the rivets.

Ultra-light fiberglas - like in model building - has been tried too.

This builder MIGHT be a member of EAA 42 - I have friends in that chapter who have hangers at Birchwood.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The way these wings flex I wouldn't want anything to do with metalized surfaces.

Posted

The way these wings flex I wouldn't want anything to do with metalized surfaces.

BUT, they fly so much faster after you fly thru a hail storm! Like golf balls are dimpled....

ED in MO

Posted

BUT, they fly so much faster after you fly thru a hail storm! Like golf balls are dimpled....

ED in MO

I swear that there is some truth to that. A friend's Cessna 150 sat thru a hailstorm and was very evenly dimpled across the entire plane. That was probably the reason he got it cheap. It flew faster and landed slower than any other 150 i'd flown and except for resembling a golf ball it was a great plane.

Darcy

Posted

I swear that there is some truth to that. A friend's Cessna 150 sat thru a hailstorm and was very evenly dimpled across the entire plane. That was probably the reason he got it cheap. It flew faster and landed slower than any other 150 i'd flown and except for resembling a golf ball it was a great plane.

Darcy

Luscomb was same way - but insurance company didnt like the looks and replaced skins.

ED in MO