Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

tail up

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Speak to me about open vs closed trailers . . . I plan to tow long distances, and road hazards and weather worry me . . .

Not too much experience with open trailers - except can tell that you will have to cover the hole where the turtledeck was removed so that it is waterproof. But, if weather is bad, you wont be flying.

Closed trailers - well, partly enclosed, maybe on the front - your wings are just about 8 feet wide folded - so your trailer would have to be wider to fully enclose it - Missour only allows 8 1/2 feet wide, and that dont leave room for error!

I pulled closed trailers to Alaska several times, but not with a full folded-wing plane in them.

For LAKERTREETOPFLYER

BRIAN,

I will think about the boat trailer. Long way to come for it - but if you are driving to St. Louis sometime, and want to bring it, OK? My wife was so happy when I got rid of my 2 big trailers.........

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I'm thinking about designing an enclosed trailer if I get my Avid (I'm on a health hold for a week or so until I find out more about my potential for a future), possibly using bladders to cushion it in case of a jolt or a lurch to the side on rough roads. Has anyone tried this?

Do I presume correctly that some trailers have "pockets" for the gear? What kind of tie-down arrangements are best?

Do they fit into a 20' shipping container? Has anyone tried this? I suspect they could be modified rather easily.

What kinds of suspension have been tried?

Posted

As far as speeds, with my mk 4 I downwind at 70mph, final at 60mph, and land in a 3pt attitude whenever the lift runs out somewhere under 40mph. I have the wide bungee gear and find it very stable.

Murphy

Posted

As far as speeds, with my mk 4 I downwind at 70mph, final at 60mph, and land in a 3pt attitude whenever the lift runs out somewhere under 40mph. I have the wide bungee gear and find it very stable.

Murphy

Thanks,thats what I am looking for

Brian

Posted

Thanks Guys for the taxi advice, I went to the airport this morning and had a very good first flight of N782TB. Following the advice of all the high time avid kitfox pilots I set the flaps for take off opened the throttle and the plane flew itself off the ground with no forward stick, the tail lifted itself just before takeoff which I must add happens very fast, the climb was incredible and the first landing was pretty good. I must say if someone hadn't started this thread I am not sure what the high speed taxi outcome would have been.

Thanks again Guys

Posted

Thanks Guys for the taxi advice, I went to the airport this morning and had a very good first flight of N782TB. Following the advice of all the high time avid kitfox pilots I set the flaps for take off opened the throttle and the plane flew itself off the ground with no forward stick, the tail lifted itself just before takeoff which I must add happens very fast, the climb was incredible and the first landing was pretty good. I must say if someone hadn't started this thread I am not sure what the high speed taxi outcome would have been.

Thanks again Guys

CONGRATS!!!! I hope you got some video!