Specifications for Modifications

54 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Ed, maybe I misinterpreted you, but I thought you said to avoid the 2-cycles. That one had a gray-head. I've had several interruptions to my life and travel plans; we had to take a very abbreviated trip, but the doc has just cleared me of the blood disorder he thought I had; seems it's "only" too many red blood cells, and I get a re-check in 6 months. I may get away on another trip, and if that one's still for sale, have a look at it. There's another guy in that part of the country who is willing to show me his Kitfox; I'd like to look at the different models. I'd need to know who was willing and how to find them.

Thanks again.

Anybody else want to comment about cabin room differences between the models?

I did not say "avoid the 2-cycles" - That might really get me in trouble on here!!!

I am not a fan of the 2-cycle, but for the lighter planes that need to get in and out of tight places, they do a good job.

I may have said that I would like the 912 better, but that is more weight and more money invested.

I have invested in the Soob because it was cheap, and they run forever with little maintenance. I even have a spare engine which cost me $1000 in Alaska. if "they run forever", then why did I buy a spare? Shit happens!

And, the EA-81 has been out of production for years. My "Reductions" has 75 hours SMOH, the spare 31,000 miles since new - just broke in good.

But, now I have a heavier plane which requires lots of mods to make it what I want. But, I enjoy designing even more than building - it just takes both to get the job done to go flying.

ED in MO

P.S. Did you check the hours on the grayhead? The Rotax drivers on here can give you advise on it.

Keep checking Barnstormers - Avids & Foxes are put on there sometimes.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Y'all:

I hope I haven't stretched the "Specifications and Modifications" thread too much and frayed your patience. On the other hand, I'm still trying to find out the dimensions/specifications of the various models of folding-wing aircraft, particularly the Kitfox, and gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of things like wing type and length, stretched fuselages (better handling as well as cg aft for heavier engines and any problems?), the type of engines, gear, etc. to help me in specifying "my" airplane. I must thank all who have answered some of my newbie questions, and if I have repeated myself it doesn't mean that I didn't read your answer, it means that I've been trying to absorb a lot and have simply forgotten some things. And then there's the matter of refining my fledgling "knowledge" of the subject. Most of y'all have forgotten more than I'll ever know, and I know how hard it is to believe that somebody like me could possibly be that ignorant.

Anyway, thanks again to everybody!

I'm gonna look for a topic on training, and if I can't find one, start one. I've decided that I'm going to seek out the best possible training, but I would like to buy "my" airplane first and get trained in it, but would like at least to get some dual in any LSA of the Kitfox type as soon as possible, as close to home as possible (I'm in San Diego CA; the official flight school for Kitfox is in Idaho, where I still plan to go for fully maturing my flying skills). (Hope to see you on that topic soon.)

I'll try harder to keep my questions here closer to the topic!

Posted

Y'all:

I hope I haven't stretched the "Specifications and Modifications" thread too much and frayed your patience. On the other hand, I'm still trying to find out the dimensions/specifications of the various models of folding-wing aircraft, particularly the Kitfox, and gain a better understanding of the pros and cons of things like wing type and length, stretched fuselages (better handling as well as cg aft for heavier engines and any problems?), the type of engines, gear, etc. to help me in specifying "my" airplane. I must thank all who have answered some of my newbie questions, and if I have repeated myself it doesn't mean that I didn't read your answer, it means that I've been trying to absorb a lot and have simply forgotten some things. And then there's the matter of refining my fledgling "knowledge" of the subject. Most of y'all have forgotten more than I'll ever know, and I know how hard it is to believe that somebody like me could possibly be that ignorant.

Anyway, thanks again to everybody!

I'm gonna look for a topic on training, and if I can't find one, start one. I've decided that I'm going to seek out the best possible training, but I would like to buy "my" airplane first and get trained in it, but would like at least to get some dual in any LSA of the Kitfox type as soon as possible, as close to home as possible (I'm in San Diego CA; the official flight school for Kitfox is in Idaho, where I still plan to go for fully maturing my flying skills). (Hope to see you on that topic soon.)

I'll try harder to keep my questions here closer to the topic!

You wont see me bitching because a topic wanders. Sometimes one answer leads to more questions and topics may wander around a bit. It's all good ask away, its the only way to learn!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

You wont see me bitching because a topic wanders. Sometimes one answer leads to more questions and topics may wander around a bit. It's all good ask away, its the only way to learn!

:BC:

Twister,

One good place to start is by contacting kitfox and ordering the book on them by ED Downs, if it is still available. I think mine cost $15, and has lots of info on flying and the history and changes in the Kitfoxes.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri