Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 behaviour in different altitudes

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi,

I will be doing a 2 hours air navigation in the next weekend. The altitudes from source and target airports are about 2000 FT. The field altitude during the route is also about the same altitude.

I have 2 options regarding the altitude to be used during the flight: 3500FT or 5500FT.

What is the Rotax 582 behavior at 5500 FT, specially regarding fuel consumption, comparing with 3500 FT ?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Posted

It will run just fine at 5500ft but you will be burning more fuel than really need to. You can adjust your mixture with a system called the HACMAN. If you are only doing this trip once I would day it's not worth it but if you are always going up high this system will pay for itself in one trip.

Posted

It will run just fine at 5500ft but you will be burning more fuel than really need to. You can adjust your mixture with a system called the HACMAN. If you are only doing this trip once I would day it's not worth it but if you are always going up high this system will pay for itself in one trip.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Is there any way to estimate how many more fuel it will burn in terms of percentage due those 2000 more Feet ?

I know that it is not possible to be precise due other variables, but I'm looking for a general feeling. Could we say something like 5 or 10% more ?

Posted

You will be burning just about the same amount as you would at sea level, but the engine will be rich. I can figure mine at 5.6-5.8 gallons an hour at 58-5900 RPM with the carbs set for sea level flight. If I lean it out, at 5500' I can get the fuel burn down to around 4.3 -4.5 gallons an hour.

If you are jetted for sea level, or close, then you can figure it pretty close at 5.6 GPH at 5500' and 5800 RPM

:BC: