Avid towbar

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Some pics of a towbar I fabricated and use with my Avid Trigear. Can easily be adapted for a tailwheel by changing the bend angle of the towbar.

post-211-13492848994562_thumb.jpg

post-211-13492849453761_thumb.jpg

post-211-13492849601314_thumb.jpg

post-211-13492849876856_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted

Some pics of a towbar I fabricated and use with my Avid Trigear. Can easily be adapted for a tailwheel by changing the bend angle of the towbar.

Hey Stephen,

Nice Injuneering job on the towbar! I tried like hell to figure out how to do that before I got a factory towbar from Mike Rickets . Have you towed with that bar yet? Is the fork welded to the towbar? Bryce

Posted (edited)

Couple of questions about towing:

1. What diameter tires on Avid, and what speeds do you tow?

2. How do you make it legal? Our laws require that a "trailer" (Anything being towed) have brake lights in daytime, and taillights/marker lights on at night.

3. Then there is that old bugaboo, "Licanse": Can it be state-licensed as a trailer? Maybe the towbar?

I know it is "Federally licensed", as an airplane - but not for being towed on a state road?

Bet I could get a ticket before getting to airport!

ED in MO

P.S. Nice Job.

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Hey Stephen,

Nice Injuneering job on the towbar! I tried like hell to figure out how to do that before I got a factory towbar from Mike Rickets . Have you towed with that bar yet? Is the fork welded to the towbar? Bryce

Hey Bryce,

Used it a lot before I converted to trigear and then changed the bend angle to accommodate and then up until the incident. Just about ready to fly again! Finished the rebuild and had it inspected last week. Need to do engine run ups then taxi testing then... go for it. The single square tube is clamped to the fork. It probably didn't need to be as heavy duty but I get carried away with 'it won't break now.' Did you ever put that wide gear on?

Stephen

Edited by Stephen N613HH

Posted

Couple of questions about towing:

1. What diameter tires on Avid, and what speeds do you tow?

2. How do you make it legal? Our laws require that a "trailer" (Anything being towed) have brake lights in daytime, and taillights/marker lights on at night.

3. Then there is that old bugaboo, "Licanse": Can it be state-licensed as a trailer? Maybe the towbar?

I know it is "Federally licensed", as an airplane - but not for being towed on a state road?

Bet I could get a ticket before getting to airport!

ED in MO

P.S. Nice Job.

Ed,

I have 8" mains. The front is a 6" and is about 4" off the ground when hooked up. I've had it up to about 50mph without issue. Towbars are really for short hops, trailers for long distances. It's really not that legal without lights and the tires are not Utah DOT approved so I stay off state roads. I could add the lights and licensing but the local police and sheriffs have never bothered me, but then I only have about a ten minute drive from my shop or my home to the airport all on back city and county roads. Actually it's only ten minutes to most anywhere here.

Posted

Ed,

I have 8" mains. The front is a 6" and is about 4" off the ground when hooked up. I've had it up to about 50mph without issue. Towbars are really for short hops, trailers for long distances. It's really not that legal without lights and the tires are not Utah DOT approved so I stay off state roads. I could add the lights and licensing but the local police and sheriffs have never bothered me, but then I only have about a ten minute drive from my shop or my home to the airport all on back city and county roads. Actually it's only ten minutes to most anywhere here.

Steve,

Thanks for the info. I had wondered about that for a long time, but never got the chance to ask.

Didn't even think about the tires not being street legal. Towbar looks handy tho. Good job.

ED in MO

Posted

Hey Bryce,

Used it a lot before I converted to trigear and then changed the bend angle to accommodate and then up until the incident. Just about ready to fly again! Finished the rebuild and had it inspected last week. Need to do engine run ups then taxi testing then... go for it. The single square tube is clamped to the fork. It probably didn't need to be as heavy duty but I get carried away with 'it won't break now.' Did you ever put that wide gear on?

Stephen

Hey Stephen,

They're still setting in the same corner but they do have a couple of new spider web reinforcements. One of these days.... ;). Bryce