pitot tube

4 posts in this topic

Posted

I have an Avid Mark 4 STOL which I bought as a project. It has not flown. Am in process of recovering wings. I am not crazy about the pitot system on this bird. I like the look of the one Spruce has for about $150.00. Anyone have any suggestions ? The pitot tube on the plane now is just aluminum tube with a pipe fitting and a slight flare pointing into airflow.

Bill

Posted (edited)

I have an Avid Mark 4 STOL which I bought as a project. It has not flown. Am in process of recovering wings. I am not crazy about the pitot system on this bird. I like the look of the one Spruce has for about $150.00. Anyone have any suggestions ? The pitot tube on the plane now is just aluminum tube with a pipe fitting and a slight flare pointing into airflow.

Bill

Hi Bill,

I use the original set up which you describe as do most of us. THe main issue is the static port placement, as avid has you have an open filtered tube under the dash. The accuracy is highly suspect! Personally, I would invest my resources in a decent static port mounted on the side of the cowling. John Miller did that, hopefully he will chime in here and give his .02 attached is a pic of his set up. I use the airspeed needle as apoint of refernce but don't actually believe the number it's pointing at, must be a government needle :stirthepot::lmao:

Good Luck, Bryce

post-55-13494527704299_thumb.jpg

Edited by BryceKat

Posted

Hi Bill,

I use the original set up which you describe as do most of us. THe main issue is the static port placement, as avid has you have an open filtered tube under the dash. The accuracy is highly suspect! Personally, I would invest my resources in a decent static port mounted on the side of the cowling. John Miller did that, hopefully he will chime in here and give his .02 attached is a pic of his set up. I use the airspeed needle as apoint of refernce but don't actually believe the number it's pointing at, must be a government needle :stirthepot::lmao:

Good Luck, Bryce

Hey thats the back half of my airplane!Or the missing front half... Lil John of the Dawn Patrol is good people! He has over 3000 hrs in that Avid! Pretty impressive!

Posted

Thanks Bryce, I went ahead and ordered one of those static ports from Spruce. I also ordered the experimental pitot tube from Spruce. I like the looks of it and it will be an easy install (I think) Had to make a snap decision as I want to get the wings covered before Oct 15. Thanks for the help.

Bill,Avid Mark 4 STOL, Payson AZ