Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

RC Fun....? was-Landing gear questions...

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone,

First post of 2008.... I'm honored. ( Ya, right)

How do you tell the difference between Grove gear and Hammerhead gear.

What is the difference between the two?

When were they first available to home builders?

I see Hamerhead has a website, but not much info. on the gear specs. (at least that I saw)

To be honest I just recently heard about Hammerhead although they seem to have been around for a while.

I would put the question up on the List too, but.... hey... I'm banned there and can't start a new thread, only reply to existing ones received via e-mail notification.

Plus...Mikey G is all pissed off again. Check it out over there. Kinda funny to see him rant and rave.

In case anyone cares, I starting to wonder what I actually have on 84KF

I'm attaching some pics of the installed gear and if any can tell anything by them I'd appreciate it.

Oh well.

Steve

292_008_JPGce15866d5b69d63832a504407fb10

294_steve_009b_jpg04dac1b3d8954493f2c672

Posted

Never mind...

Now that I look close at the ends, mine are square with flats, and gundrilled, they are Grove.

Posted

Steve ytou got talent... how the hell did you get booted again.. I read some of the shit over there but I saw nothing that was boot worthy, especially from you..  They got to get their panties outa their crack and lighten up a tad...

:beerchug:

Posted

I thought the whole damn thing was funny!  Some of those fine folks don't even know the AIM exists as far as I can tell.  It appears that they do something, then flip their wig when somebody calls them on it.  Also, 'pears to me that some of 'em got a burr under the saddle blanket, too!  :2cent:

John Hart :beerchug:

Posted

Hey guys...

I've never been "un-booted" from last year. But I can still get there through the Matronic e-mail server. When a new post is put up I get a copy in my Avidfox@Gmail.com account and  I can reply to anything that shows up there.

I think this is what pisses off Mikey G. and Guy so much. They don't have the internal authority to block me from doing that. I just can't sign in and start a new topic of my own.

I've just been sitting back and watching the circus the last few days. Besides, There are enough others giving them grief right now. But in a few days or so I'll reply to someones post about something, at drop in the words "Light-Sport" or "Sport Pilot Privileges" just to get Mikey G's blood pressure going again. (Opps...I did it again... haha)

BTW...I'm trying to lean to fly a collective pitch electric RC helicopter in my basement  for 3 days now...This might get expensive. No...wait...it already has.  15 second of hover time would be a miracle. I need to get out side where there are no walls but the weather here sucks lately.  My hats off to you John.

Steve

Posted

Good luck on that R/C helicopter!  I got in the neighborhood of 6000 hours in helicopters that I can sit in, but I can't handle one of them damn models.  The control inputs just plain don't react like the real McCoy. 

That email server is the only way I mess with that group.  I thought at first it might be a pretty good source of info for Kitfox stuff, but it now appears like if you aren't a newby at flying, you get ignored.  That's OK with me.  I got more help on this board than anywhere.

John Hart

Posted

what chopper you got?  I have too many to count..  I learned to fly them 20 years ago when they were really hard to fly.. There are some out there that fly great, and some are marginal in the control.  I have a Trex450 that flys as solid and steady as my larger glow helis.  I put an airwolf body on it (with retracts) and it is VERY solid on the controls.

Posted

Eh Leni,

It's a 6 ch Walkera 22E.  I've been told it's not much to speak of, but it's fine by me, from what I see. It was way out of balance and I've spent a lot of time now fine tuning the rotor head alignment but I'm enjoying that more then trying to master it.

I've had it set up perfect and it will lift off smoothly, very stable and all that, but , as you know, in 10 seconds all that goes to hell. My big mistake is playing in the basement with it, just not enough room.  I've never actually crashed it, but the blades have  banged the wall a few times....and it's back to the work bench for blade nick patching and rebalancing.

I'm amazed at the number of little parts and the workings of the head system. Pretty cool. I've never had much (real) helo exposure, just the basics. Eventually I'll spring for a bettey battery, maybe the brushless motor... but that would be wasted on me at this stage. This will get me through the lousy weather untill it's time to do the Kitfox thing again.

Steve

Posted

The walkeras are pauged by radio glitches and poor QC.  I have flown one that was great and another that was un-flyable.  I lost several helis to radio glitches. I finnaly sprang for a 7DX spectrum radio and all problems went away.  The other option is something like the eflite blade CP pro.  it comes with the spectrum radio and is not outrageous on the price.  and for under 200, you can get one of the twin rotor jobbies like the blade CX.  they will get you a long way down the road for flying helis.  the controls are the same but they are damn near impossible to destroy.

One other tip.  you need to pop the heli off the ground 2-3 feet.  any lower and you are in ground effect and it is real skittish.  it will be alot more stable when you get the rotors into clean air.  Do you have training gear for it?

:beerchug:  <hooked on helis brew

Posted

Training gear? Absolutely. Impossile with out.

I know what you mean about getting it out of ground effect, but soon, that is when my troubles begin. With limited space I have to chop throttle at the first sign of danger which saves it from wall impact, but it sometimes will slide along the floor and blades "touch" the wall.

I know I'm doing every thing wrong playing in a confined area. I'm taking it out to the airport later and trying it in friends an empty hanger.

A friend has a Esky Blade CP and it seem very nice. He can hold a hover (in his basement too) for the endurance of the battery. Of course by now it's a total rebuild and HE has learned HIS lessons.

Duel rotors? Pashaw...  real men fly singles. That's like comparing, say, an Avid to a Kitfox.  :beerchug:

Steve

Keep an eye on me with this... I'm

Posted

I would say it is more like comparing say... grove gear flyers to bungie gear flyers  :lol: .  Good luck with it, they are a hell ova lota fun!  I will try and get some airwolf vids up next time I am home.