Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 FWF Weight

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Just took off my engine, complete with mount, check rads, and Culver 74" wood prop. 153lbs.

FYI

larry

Posted

Thanks Larry! Did that include water/antifreeze as well?

Posted

Thanks Larry! Did that include water/antifreeze as well?

yes, as removed in a running just prior.

Posted

The aircooled Jab is lighter. Too bad they don't make the thrust being direct drive.

Posted

The jab, with prop spinner, and all? The 582 was simply unbolted from the firewall and weighed.

Posted

The jab, with prop spinner, and all? The 582 was simply unbolted from the firewall and weighed.

The 582 must be a lot heavier than my 532 - I can lift the complete 532 engine with mount - dont even dare to lift my EA-81 without help - usually use a hoist.

ED in MO

Posted

Just took off my engine, complete with mount, check rads, and Culver 74" wood prop. 153lbs.

FYI

larry

Next Question: What is FWF for 912?

ED in MO

Posted

What is the FWF for your sube?

Posted (edited)

What is the FWF for your sube?

I have never put it on a scale - some listed it as 180, but bet it is closer to 190 or 200, without prop - It is heavier than a Continental C-90, because of the redrive - depends on attachments a lot, like saving 10 or 20 lbs by using different starter, alternator, exhausts, etc. Like the VW engines, you cant believe how light the sellers say they are.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I weighed my first Subie EA81 motor with the RFI (I think) redrive and engine mount but no exhaust, radiators or prop and no fluids. It was right at 195 lbs. I think the Stratus Subie might be a little lighter because the redrive looks like it might be lighter but I have not weighed it. If anything it would only be a pound or two lighter.

Posted

I weighed my first Subie EA81 motor with the RFI (I think) redrive and engine mount but no exhaust, radiators or prop and no fluids. It was right at 195 lbs. I think the Stratus Subie might be a little lighter because the redrive looks like it might be lighter but I have not weighed it. If anything it would only be a pound or two lighter.

I think your Stratus is lighter than my Reductions - I have the light alternator, but the heavy reduction-drive starter, and 12 inch straightpipes. RFI was saying to make a fiberglas manifold to replace the stock and save about 10 or so pounds.

I could go on a diet, but I am not FWF....

ED in MO

Posted

The stock intake manifold is bulky and heavy so there is a lot of weight to be saved going to the Stratus type manifolds. I built my first set out of mandrel bent pipe, a little less than 90 degrees. The tricky part is building the flange that bolts to the heads with the water passage and making it big enough to get good water flow yet have enough flange between it and the intake port and bolts so that it seals up good. The 195 lb weight is with these manifolds, with a light weight ring gear starter on the engine side of the redrive, an aluminum flywheel and a light 6 lb mini alternator.