Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Door Latch

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been trying to decide if I want to change out my door latch or keep it the way it is, then I just saw this pic and it looks like an easy fix for why I don't like what I have. What are your thoughts. mine is currently just flat looks like i could hold it close to center with a crescent wrench and twist the last half 90* with a second wrench to make it have a nice flat handle to push up and down. If i did this could I cold bend it or would it need to be heated up first? Or should i just change it out with something different, ie if these are known to just pop open when you least expect it.

Thanks Robert

post-352-13499212437949_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I've been trying to decide if I want to change out my door latch or keep it the way it is, then I just saw this pic and it looks like an easy fix for why I don't like what I have. What are your thoughts. mine is currently just flat looks like i could hold it close to center with a crescent wrench and twist the last half 90* with a second wrench to make it have a nice flat handle to push up and down. If i did this could I cold bend it or would it need to be heated up first? Or should i just change it out with something different, ie if these are known to just pop open when you least expect it.

Thanks Robert

I will bet if all the members here would put their 2 cents in we would have enough to write a book on door latches!

I have the books from KF1 to KF5, and the Avid Magnum manual - none of them are the same.

Which works best???? I like to have locking latches in case my bird stays at an airport overnight.

I also have books from Tony Bengalis (sp?) which describe door latches.

And, a couple of latches that Spruce sells for humongous big bucks, that you can make cheaply.

Come on guys - time for some super-feedback - the door is open.:lol:

I still dont have an answer as to how to attach the magnets to the forward spar to hold the door open.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Robert

I have the same type latch on my mod 1.

I used 3/16 rod, instead of flat stock, bent out a little so you could grasp it even with gloves.

You should be able to twist yours like you describe if you can remove or

get behind it with the tool.

Ed

The hydraulic opener is the way to go for keeping the doors open

especially if you fly with the door open. I have them, as others do up here and we all

would install them again. I think I ordered mine from Granger and made the brackets.

30# if I remember

Bob

1 person likes this

Posted

Thanks Robert

I saw that pic the other day when it was posted and said "self, thats a really good idea"

:2cent:

Posted

Ed

The hydraulic opener is the way to go for keeping the doors open

especially if you fly with the door open. I have them, as others do up here and we all

would install them again. I think I ordered mine from Granger and made the brackets.

30# if I remember

Bob

I saw a photo of one with a magnet in the door - Looked like the KISS method to me - no moving parts, and works good. I have the openers now.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

I saw a photo of one with a magnet in the door - Looked like the KISS method to me - no moving parts, and works good. I have the openers now.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Slipstream will open the doors unless the magnets are so strong you can't open it easily.

Mechanical latches are mandatory.

Posted (edited)

Slipstream will open the doors unless the magnets are so strong you can't open it easily.

Mechanical latches are mandatory.

I dont fly open-cockpit anymore - dont even drive with windows down - hate wind in my ears.

Cant hear that little black box you turn on when there is an F-16 on your wingtip!

I tried wearing a helmet with earmuffs once, but my cigarets burn up too quickly, and the face sheild kept falling down and got full of smoke! Cant fly IFR if you cant see the roads! :lol:

I was talking about the magnets that hold the door in open position. They attach to spar somehow.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Robert

I have the same type latch on my mod 1.

I used 3/16 rod, instead of flat stock, bent out a little so you could grasp it even with gloves.

You should be able to twist yours like you describe if you can remove or

get behind it with the tool.

I haven't done anything to my doors yet so they are still just frames so no problem getting behind them to twist the latch. I don't hear any complaints about these latches holding the door shut so I think this is what I will do. do you think I should heat it or just do a cold bend. also I've had thoughts of locking them I think i could just use a small universal lock like used on a file cabinet pretty easy for this and be separate from the main latch.

-Robert-

Posted

My experience with flat metal stock is that it can be twisted

easly when cold. Now I'm not talking North Slope or Alaska cold.

I guess I should say room temp. Usually the mill scale will flake off

within the twisted area. A little wire brushing and paint.

If the two tools are to close it will tare but spaced right

you will have a nice looking twist.

1 person likes this

Posted

My magnets are just for holding the doors open on the ground. Never did try opening the door in flight but I suspect the magnet won't hold it open. The magnet is friction fitted into its holder and underneath is a small bolt with a nut on the other side of the door frame to hold it on. I assume the wing just uses an avex rivet. I'm not a big fan of ever drilling holes in spars so if I was building, i'd put the gas shocks on the doors.

D

Posted

Air pressure will hold the doors open in flight even without a latch.

Posted (edited)

My magnets are just for holding the doors open on the ground. Never did try opening the door in flight but I suspect the magnet won't hold it open. The magnet is friction fitted into its holder and underneath is a small bolt with a nut on the other side of the door frame to hold it on. I assume the wing just uses an avex rivet. I'm not a big fan of ever drilling holes in spars so if I was building, i'd put the gas shocks on the doors.

D

Thanks Darcy,

Was real curious about attaching magnet to spar - Dont like holes in top or bottom of spar - could use a clamp around spar and some sort of attachment.

I would only use them on the ground, or for some other purpose - got me to thinking about other possibilities for magnets.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Here is mine

IMG_3609-1.jpg

IMG_0547.jpg

IMG_3608.jpg