Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

D#@& Isocyanates !

5 posts in this topic

Posted

I have spent the last 5 days looking for an amine epoxy paint or something similar to the Randolph Mark2 for metal. I only need about 2 qts sprayable material. The Mark 2 Randolph is only sold in gallon quantity. >$350 materials. Not happening. So.... me being allergic to isocyanates....what to apply to my fuselage? I am about ready to go crazy. And I am going to spray it myself. Found myself looking really hard at some industrial epoxy paints that were very tough from reading descriptions. No powdercoating.... even though I have a friend that has an oven big enough to do a PA-18. He does commercial powder. So any suggestion before I brush on a couple coats of Rustoleum and call it a day ?

And yes Stewarts system is chock full of poly-isocyanates.

Posted (edited)

I have spent the last 5 days looking for an amine epoxy paint or something similar to the Randolph Mark2 for metal. I only need about 2 qts sprayable material. The Mark 2 Randolph is only sold in gallon quantity. >$350 materials. Not happening. So.... me being allergic to isocyanates....what to apply to my fuselage? I am about ready to go crazy. And I am going to spray it myself. Found myself looking really hard at some industrial epoxy paints that were very tough from reading descriptions. No powdercoating.... even though I have a friend that has an oven big enough to do a PA-18. He does commercial powder. So any suggestion before I brush on a couple coats of Rustoleum and call it a day ?

And yes Stewarts system is chock full of poly-isocyanates.

Now, I am just an old country boy who stood with a flag while the crop dusters sprayed agent-orange on the cotton - worked in a machine shop and ground asbestos brake shoes without protection - washed glue off of hands and arms with MEK - and many other dumb things - and I missed all the chemistry courses in HS and college. Worked in weld shop and fiberglas for 30 years and got cancer 3 times!

I used an epoxy floor covering on my garage made by Quickcrete - real tough stuff.

Dont know if you could spray it - how about a slow job of brushing it on? Or some other 2-part epoxy? There are lots of epoxies available, but I have no knowledge of what chemicals they contain - probably none good!

I survived Stewarts, but if you are alergic to it - how about somebody else spraying it? BUT, it is not cheap either!

My 2c worth - probably not worth either of them.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

After blasting and sanding metal I used the epoxy cromate

Dont know whats in it (isocyanates) but I use a cartridge equipt mask

I bought it from the Poly paints guys and it available in most colors

Posted (edited)

Isocyanates will pass right through any charcoal filter medium. Very small particles. This information was given to me the last time I was amitted to the hopsital for this exposure. I have decided to gain the assistance of a friend to spray the topcoat. I have learned that most any exposure to chromates are very bad for you as well. Living seems to also be somewhat dangerous. Somewhat pissed at the available options.....Imron industrial coatings has won the hand. If it rejects MEK and Skydrol....I will be pleased with that for a topcoat. The biggie here with this paint is that I can get it locally,[in whatever amount I wish to purchase] is a very well suggested product, and has a very good track record standing up to way more abuse than I will subject it to. If it stands up to a Hatz being covered....I'm good with it.

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted (edited)

I'd recommend Endura. Its a two part expoxy that has been used for years on crop dusters. It does a great job on metal fuselages, is chemical proof and remains somewhat flexible in the cold. Its not approved stuff but I know of a lot of planes using it as a top coat over poly-spray to finish off their planes as well. Only thing is that it takes a lot of scrubbing like mad with MEK to get it off if you have to make a repair to fabric. But for the fuselage tubing its the cats meow. I'd recommend against powder coating the fuselage because i've seen it hide rust and other problems under that shiny candy coating. This is the stuff I bought to coat my J3 fuselage with. http://www.endura.ca...imers/ep2c.html I'll use this on the fuselage and then the Stits/poly system for fabric and paint cause i'm use to it and i find it easy to use and forgiving.

Be careful what you choose as a primer/paint so that the fabric product you use will still hold to it. A regualr zinc chromate spray can primer will sometimes goo-i-fy (technical term) when poly-tak is applied to it for attaching fabric.

Just my two cents.

D

*Edit - After checking the MSDS sheets, part B does contain polyisocyanates. :(

Edited by Alberta Avidator