Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Waiting for inspection

10 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here is a pix of my MKIV waiting for the DAR to come look it over. I am hoping to get that done before the winter winds set in. The 912A runs great after its long wait to go to work. I first flew a factory demo in the with Stace Schrader in the early 90's. Just added up the hours I put into the building process and was suprise to find that it total up to about 850 hours. :)

Paul

Edited by Paul S

Posted (edited)

Here is a pix of my MKIV waiting for the DAR to come look it over. I am hoping to get that done before the winter winds set in. The 912A runs great after its long wait to go to work. I first flew a factory demo in the with Stace Schrader in the early 90's. Just added up the hours I put into the building process and was suprise to find that it total up to about 850 hours. :)

Paul

Guess I can't get the px to post and don't have time to mess with it now.

post-267-13505254390283_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paul S

Posted

Congrats! Be sure to get at least a short video of your first flight just don't let it pressure you into flying before your ready.

Posted

Congrats! Be sure to get at least a short video of your first flight just don't let it pressure you into flying before your ready.

Thanks Joey, I am not in any hurry to fly the Avid. This is my second homebuilt so there is not much pressure on this one. I am looking forward to flying it up in Idaho this summer.

Posted

Do you have a time frame you are looking at for first flight? Keep us posted!

:BC:

Posted

Do you have a time frame you are looking at for first flight? Keep us posted!

I am hoping that it will happen in the next 30 days but I still have not managed to get the DAR down to look at my plane. Not a big deal, windy winters here really will keep me from getting much time in until late spring anyway. At least I have the Q-2 to fly this winter!

Posted

At the time I had to have mine looked at we didnt have a DAR and had to rely on the FAA inspector. The plane had a previous airworthiness but during my condition inspection after the rebuild, all I had from the previous owner was a copy of the AW. The IA I had doing the inspection sent off for a replacement and the FAA decided they wanted to come and inspect the plane again before issuing it... I waited 2 months for an inspector to get the time to come check it out before I lost my cool and called up the FSDO and got the head lady on the phone. I told her what was going on, and that it was BS that I could fly an aircraft that had a current inspection and a current AW just because they wanted to send an inspector down instead of just issuing the replacement. I told her she had 48 hrs to get the AW paper to me or she was personally going to make me an outlaw as I was not waiting one minute longer to fly my plane.. The next day a very cool (although now unfortunately retired) FAA inspector drove down, spent 30 minutes going over the logs and pictures I had put together documenting my rebuild, spent maybe 5 minutes looking at the plane, then handed me the coveted pink slip. That afternoon I was burning sky with it!

Good luck on getting you inspector down to look at yours, and I hope when he does show, he is as cool as the guy I got to meet!

Posted

At the time I had to have mine looked at we didnt have a DAR and had to rely on the FAA inspector. The plane had a previous airworthiness but during my condition inspection after the rebuild, all I had from the previous owner was a copy of the AW. The IA I had doing the inspection sent off for a replacement and the FAA decided they wanted to come and inspect the plane again before issuing it... I waited 2 months for an inspector to get the time to come check it out before I lost my cool and called up the FSDO and got the head lady on the phone. I told her what was going on, and that it was BS that I could fly an aircraft that had a current inspection and a current AW just because they wanted to send an inspector down instead of just issuing the replacement. I told her she had 48 hrs to get the AW paper to me or she was personally going to make me an outlaw as I was not waiting one minute longer to fly my plane.. The next day a very cool (although now unfortunately retired) FAA inspector drove down, spent 30 minutes going over the logs and pictures I had put together documenting my rebuild, spent maybe 5 minutes looking at the plane, then handed me the coveted pink slip. That afternoon I was burning sky with it!

Good luck on getting you inspector down to look at yours, and I hope when he does show, he is as cool as the guy I got to meet!

I have been through this twice before with my Q-2, the first and then an engine change. Both times with the local FSDO and they were timely and helpful but when I requested the inspection this time they said that their superiors now would not allow them to take the time (about an hour) to do the AW inspection. So here I am at the mercy of a DAR that I will have to pay a hefty fee but that's the way it goes. Good thing I am not in a hurry.

Posted (edited)

I have been through this twice before with my Q-2, the first and then an engine change. Both times with the local FSDO and they were timely and helpful but when I requested the inspection this time they said that their superiors now would not allow them to take the time (about an hour) to do the AW inspection. So here I am at the mercy of a DAR that I will have to pay a hefty fee but that's the way it goes. Good thing I am not in a hurry.

I didnt realize how nice it was in Alaska until I moved back to Missouri. I went to AMT school with one of the FAA engineers. Alaska was so easy to get field approvals - And, just ask Atlee Dodge about STC approvals there.

I am told that here you couldnt possibly get a field approval - Since "They Just Do NOT Give Them!"

I'm sure that I will have to get a DAR.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Paul,

Good job, that is a good looking Avid. Hope the DAR is a good one. I had mine inspected by a DAR because, as in most places, FAA has pretty much decided they are no longer going to do the inspections anymore. I was pretty fortunate in that my DAR was also the treasurer of our Ancharage EAA chapter and a great guy. He was available when I was ready. At the time he also flew down to the lower 48 a couple of time to do inspections for folks who could not get an inspector in their area. Unfortunately he now works for the FAA so can no longer do the inspections but there is another guy up here who is a DAR now so we still have someone local.