Where did you fly today?

58 posts in this topic

Posted

Instead of a bunch of trip report threads if you just flew to one or two places on a day post it up here. I flew to a couple of short private strips today about an hour away. Saw some neat stuff to check out later.

Sporty approach

IMG_1126.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1133.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

Hey Joey nice pictures. How do you post those to this forum? Only thing that I found was adding attachments but it would be handy to post some large photos like yours on occasion.

Posted

Hey Joey nice pictures. How do you post those to this forum? Only thing that I found was adding attachments but it would be handy to post some large photos like yours on occasion.

Sent you an email to the address you have listed on your profile. Let me know if you got it.

Would other people be interested in doing the pictures in the post rather than attachments if I posted a tutorial on how to do it? All you need is a photobucket account which is free. I've had one for years and have thousands of pictures hosted there and have never ran out of space. It's only a few more clicks of work to do.

Posted (edited)

just click on "Browse" just below the typing field when adding a post then select what you want to add click "attach this file" and your good to go. Most pics need to be reduced I usually use 25% then you can view them in sizes like Joey has these.

Joey, Thanks for the pics, they keep me motivated can't wait to get back into the air.

[Edit] Darn Joey you beat me by 1 minute. :lmao:

Edited by High Country

Posted

Would other people be interested in doing the pictures in the post rather than attachments if I posted a tutorial on how to do it?

Joey yes I would like to know how to do it. Thanks, Bryce

Posted

Great pictures Joey; looks like a good place to get a lot of bugs on the windshield though :shitfan: My Brother-in-Law is a bee keeper so I was looking for him in your pictures.

Posted

OK, Where I flew today: You can't beat a river like this when the water is low. After checking on Leni's plane I had about as much fun as is legal to have playing on the Yentna River tonight. Check out the arial view of the river; how can you ask for more landing places than that? I spent all the daylight I could hopping from gravel bar to gravel bar. I caught a coyote out in the middle of one so cranked it around and did a mock strafing run on him. Sure wish I had the wing mounted shotgun setup on and operational. :biggun: By the time I landed he was gone. Got some good evening pictures of the plane on some of the landing spots though. I need to submit some photo's to Kitplanes and Sport Aviation for the builders section but trying to find the best pictures to send. I thought the last one in this group might be a pretty good candidate.

I can't belive I have been flying my Avid+ for 2 years now; Jack and I just did the 2nd annual on it today. I'm still loving it!

post-75-13513201843778_thumb.jpg

post-75-1351320279791_thumb.jpg

post-75-13513205895868_thumb.jpg

post-75-13513206674966_thumb.jpg

post-75-13513207460168_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice pics Randy! Holy Cripes, its been 2 yrs already??? WOW, I could have sworn it was just last year that you got it in the air. Man, where does time go :dunno:

I wish I was out there hitting those strips with you! a few more weeks and it will be time to go on Ski's and have some fun. New years at the lodge this year! Most of my wedding party will be there to do it up right hahaha. I plan on bringing in lots of extra gas on the sleds so we can range out and do some flying and exploring while we are all there.

:BC:

1 person likes this

Posted

Landed on a Golf Course fairway that's also a strip today and then met up with a new Kitfox guy and took him to a couple strips.

IMG_1153.jpg

Parked on the Green

IMG_1155.jpg

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1158.jpg

IMG_1160.jpg

IMG_1165.jpg

IMG_1166.jpg

Posted

Finally some calm, clear weather! Had a great 4 hour flightout on the north east side of the Talkeetna Mts behind Eureka. Just enough snow to make me cautious about landing on unpacked areas with the wheels still on. Clear and cold, about -14 but colder in the valleys and pockets when I dropped in low. Attached are some pics of Skelton landing strip at Eureka and Dec midday sun on the Talkeetna's. Guess what they call the mountain? (Gunsight).

post-75-1355037727723_thumb.jpg

post-75-13550378339659_thumb.jpg

post-75-13550379282554_thumb.jpg

post-75-13550380244797_thumb.jpg

Posted

Got my ski's rigged and installed on my new gear.

post-56-13569063418857_thumb.jpg

post-56-13569063636978_thumb.jpg

post-56-13569063882318_thumb.jpg

Posted

Had a great last flight of the year outing today with a buddy in a 170. Swerve those cow pies!!

IMG_5418.jpg

IMG_5412-1.jpg

IMG_5408.jpg

IMG_5407-1.jpg

IMG_5404-1.jpg

The owners of this strip drove up in their Vintage Toyota

IMG_5422.jpg

IMG_4263.jpg

Posted

Great pics Joey. Looks like a nice fresh one!

Posted

post-56-13575124528556_thumb.jpg

A great day for ice fishing and flying. No fish but nice flying. You would be suprised at what you can pack in these planes.

post-56-13575123854757_thumb.jpg

post-56-13575124258774_thumb.jpg

Posted

I love it! Like Chris said, combining flying with other fun things makes it even fmore fun; even if you aren't successful fishing, hunting, etc.

I haven't loaded all the ice fishing gear including Eskimo tent, auger, folding chairs, heater, gear and two people into the plane for a fishing trip yet but plan to do it soon. My son-in-law is on a mission to catch a 30+" trout so now that we got the caribou in the freezer from last weekend, that is the plan. I will have to take a picture of all the gear that I can successfully get in the plane.

I must admit that the Avid+ has spoiled me for hauling cargo, but the best I did with my Avid MKIV was a whole caribou (boned out) plus some extra gear. My buddy is quadraplegic but is still a go getter; a number of years ago he drew a caribou tag I told him to try for and we flew out to a gold mine to hunt. He shot a nice bull the next morning walking down the landing strip of all places! I had to make a second trip to get him out though since all the meat went into game bags into a duffel bag strapped into the passenger side of the seat. I had to split the skull plate and strap the antlers onto the lift struts. It was a nice big bull and the antlers slowed my cruise speed from 82mph to 70 mph but other than that it flew just fine.

Unfortunately I can't seem to get any of these pics to upload, probably because they are images from my old camera and not digital photo's.

Posted

We had a pretty nice day for flying today and we just got about 4 or 5" of fresh snow so I felt obligated to go track it up. I was having fun playing on the lakes and thought this view of McKinnley and Foraker were nice with the alpenglow on them. I played trying to write my name on one of the lakes. It is not as easy as you would think since you can't see where to start and stop very easy when you are on the ground. I tried to take a picture of it but it didn't show up well; guess I will have to work on that .

post-75-13585806053283_thumb.jpg

post-75-13585806748816_thumb.jpg

Posted

A great day for ice fishing and flying. No fish but nice flying. You would be suprised at what you can pack in these planes.

Nice pics Mark! How do you like the 582? Should be a noticeable performance difference I would think.

We had a pretty nice day for flying today and we just got about 4 or 5" of fresh snow so I felt obligated to go track it up. I was having fun playing on the lakes and thought this view of McKinnley and Foraker were nice with the alpenglow on them. I played trying to write my name on one of the lakes. It is not as easy as you would think since you can't see where to start and stop very easy when you are on the ground. I tried to take a picture of it but it didn't show up well; guess I will have to work on that .

Sweet pics Randy. I am still trying to get the pics off my laptop (the screen and inverter went out on it so waiting on new parts) from the trip at the lodge a few weeks ago. We got some that were OK, but they were just with the darn cell phone what should have been stellar shots were just... OK..

Posted

Nice pics Mark! How do you like the 582? Should be a noticeable performance difference I would think.

BC.gif/>

Sweet pics Randy. I am still trying to get the pics off my laptop (the screen and inverter went out on it so waiting on new parts) from the trip at the lodge a few weeks ago. We got some that were OK, but they were just with the darn cell phone what should have been stellar shots were just... OK..

BC.gif/>

Leni,

I haven't switched my engine yet. The 503 has been great for 930hrs so far. So I am still not convinced to switch yet.What do you think?

Posted

Leni,

I haven't switched my engine yet. The 503 has been great for 930hrs so far. So I am still not convinced to switch yet.What do you think?

I must be getting old, I could have sworn you were doing an engine swap to a 582. Guess its time to take my meds :lol:

I would say if your happy with what you have, stick with it! No reason to spend time, energy and money on something you already are happy with!

Posted

I must be getting old, I could have sworn you were doing an engine swap to a 582. Guess its time to take my meds :lol:/>

I would say if your happy with what you have, stick with it! No reason to spend time, energy and money on something you already are happy with!

:BC:/>

No, you are ok Leni. I did buy a FWF 582 package for my Avid, but now that it is time to overhaul my 503 or switch to the 582, I am having second thoughts about doing that now. I think I might just stick with the 503. Now I will have a 582 grayhead for sale.

Posted

No, you are ok Leni. I did buy a FWF 582 package for my Avid, but now that it is time to overhaul my 503 or switch to the 582, I am having second thoughts about doing that now. I think I might just stick with the 503. Now I will have a 582 grayhead for sale.

Sweet! Is this a MK IV FWF package? If so, I would be interested in the radiator set up if it the the MK IV in cowl system. I would love to get rid of the belly mount radiator so I can sling a cargo pod under there.

Posted

OK, Where I flew today: You can't beat a river like this when the water is low. After checking on Leni's plane I had about as much fun as is legal to have playing on the Yentna River tonight. Check out the arial view of the river; how can you ask for more landing places than that? I spent all the daylight I could hopping from gravel bar to gravel bar. I caught a coyote out in the middle of one so cranked it around and did a mock strafing run on him. Sure wish I had the wing mounted shotgun setup on and operational. :biggun:/> By the time I landed he was gone. Got some good evening pictures of the plane on some of the landing spots though. I need to submit some photo's to Kitplanes and Sport Aviation for the builders section but trying to find the best pictures to send. I thought the last one in this group might be a pretty good candidate.

I can't belive I have been flying my Avid+ for 2 years now; Jack and I just did the 2nd annual on it today. I'm still loving it!

Man that's a good looking plane! Especially in TW config with the bushweels!

Chris

Posted

Man that's a good looking plane! Especially in TW config with the bushweels!

Chris

Thanks Chris; I think your going to like yours. You might have to keep both your Avid+ and Magnum when you get them both flying again! You can always have one on wheels and one on floats....

Posted

Thanks Chris; I think your going to like yours. You might have to keep both your Avid+ and Magnum when you get them both flying again! You can always have one on wheels and one on floats....

What kind of approach, over the fence and touchdown speeds are you experiencing? What is your empty weight?

Posted

Sweet! Is this a MK IV FWF package? If so, I would be interested in the radiator set up if it the the MK IV in cowl system. I would love to get rid of the belly mount radiator so I can sling a cargo pod under there.

:BC:/>

Yes everything came off a MarkIV. Do you know anybody that is looking for a 582 grayhead?