Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Anyone seen this tail mod before?

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Curious if anybody knows any details about this plane. It has some really nice mods done to it. I'm curious about the tail feathers. Haven't seen this mod yet. Its for sale in the Avid section of Barnstormers.

.watermarked_c0ec6346ee0d303681afae728524b851.jpg

Posted (edited)

Curious if anybody knows any details about this plane. It has some really nice mods done to it. I'm curious about the tail feathers. Haven't seen this mod yet. Its for sale in the Avid section of Barnstormers.

.watermarked_c0ec6346ee0d303681afae728524b851.jpg

Hope someday to post a photo of mine - rudder overlaps VS like Piper J3, VS extended to one bay behind TD, and blended better - this one looks flat - and elevators have outside corners extended in triangle to front of HS. All to be balanced. No, not seen that plane.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted

Never seen that one before... but I know ugly when I see it, and I just saw it! Looks like someone has dreams of owning a 185 :lol:

In all honesty, it looks like a bolt on fin extension that may be very helpful to me when I am on floats. I need to check into this one a little bit more!

:BC:

Posted

Never seen that one before... but I know ugly when I see it, and I just saw it! Looks like someone has dreams of owning a 185 :lol:

In all honesty, it looks like a bolt on fin extension that may be very helpful to me when I am on floats. I need to check into this one a little bit more!

I added 6 inches forward of VS and brought the tube forward like this one - added 6 inches to rudder and made it 54 inches tall, 6 inches forward on HS, and 6 inches back on elevators - Mounted HS to tubes sticking out of VS like Piper and Maule. Lots more there to comp for Soob. Praying my EW dont get too high...but long flat runways here - not like your pothole flying.

ED

Posted

His Barnstormers add says it has Airdale mods but he may be referring to the gear and the stretch. Looks like a pretty nice airplane. Little spendy for todays market but I'm sure he has a ton into it.

Posted

His Barnstormers add says it has Airdale mods but he may be referring to the gear and the stretch. Looks like a pretty nice airplane. Little spendy for todays market but I'm sure he has a ton into it.

Are you going to try to contact him and get more info on this empennage piece? Could be interesting?

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

I want to know what he did with the flaperon weights. You would have to relocate the flaperon weights in order to fold the wings with that dorsal monstrosity. I added about 1" height on the top longeron to my Mk-IV to smooth the "dorsal dip" somewhat and even that required trimming the weights to fit when installed/located per the manual.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Damn Doug, great catch! I never even thought to look at the flaperons, but your right, I dont see any weights!

Posted (edited)

Damn Doug, great catch! I never even thought to look at the flaperons, but your right, I dont see any weights!

Weights on my ailerons will be internal - steel tube in leading edge - enough lead shot and epoxy stuffed into it to balance. Is that photo an Avid or Kitfox? - HS looks high on VS.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Leni, Do you have the fin (strake?) that goes under the tail for floats? Not sure what it is called - not a swimmer! I have one for the KF1 - Wont need it for my cropduster.

ED in MO

Posted

Leni, Do you have the fin (strake?) that goes under the tail for floats? Not sure what it is called - not a swimmer! I have one for the KF1 - Wont need it for my cropduster.

ED in MO

I dont have one. I borrowed one from Jack AK (that I need to take back to him) for a pattern, but it wont fit my plane asn the bottom of mine has some extra stringers to take the big hump out of the bottom of the plane. I will have to make my own now.

Oh, its a ventral fin

Posted (edited)

I dont have one. I borrowed one from Jack AK (that I need to take back to him) for a pattern, but it wont fit my plane asn the bottom of mine has some extra stringers to take the big hump out of the bottom of the plane. I will have to make my own now.

Oh, its a ventral fin

ventral, pectral, - Just like fishes! Had forgotton my biology classes.

So easy to forget the the Admirals were the first "Fathers of American Aviation" CAA/FAA Wish it had been Henry Ford.

Well, looks like a vertical, underslung strake to me - whatever. My welder thinks I am senile because I keep calling fairleads "cable guides" - well, I am not a sailor either!

Thanks,

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri