Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Tail Wheel Options

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, had an interesting time on Sunday taxiing the AVID Heavy Hauler for the first time. Definately ground loop prone. The tailwheel was the most disappointing experience. When I got home I found that the leaf was bent up into the rudder. Never took off once and never lifted the tail off the ground. Dont understand why it bent so easy.

Any tail wheel options that any of you suggest? I currently have the maule tail wheel with the single leaf spring.

Thanks

Posted

Well, had an interesting time on Sunday taxiing the AVID Heavy Hauler for the first time. Definately ground loop prone. The tailwheel was the most disappointing experience. When I got home I found that the leaf was bent up into the rudder. Never took off once and never lifted the tail off the ground. Dont understand why it bent so easy.

Any tail wheel options that any of you suggest? I currently have the maule tail wheel with the single leaf spring.

Thanks

The single leaf spring SUCKS! Are you planning on flying off gravel or sand bars? If so, ge the dual leaf spring and the MATCO 8" wide pneumatic tail wheel. It will change your life! :lol: I had the 6" tw and it was nothing more than a drag in the sand and gravel and was blowing out on me on a regualr basis. The 8" has much more flotation and it just flat out handels much better. It is alot easier on your airframe too!

If it is GL prone, then your chains are too loose, or the springs on the steering chains are too weak. I like the compression springs alot better than the tension springs.

The single should NOT have gone flat on you, but they are prone to breakage. You can look around town for a spring, or call a local truck shop and see if they will make you one. as a last resort, (due to shipping costs and down time) you can call Brett at Airdale and he will get one out to you.

:BC:

Posted

The single leaf spring SUCKS! Are you planning on flying off gravel or sand bars? If so, ge the dual leaf spring and the MATCO 8" wide pneumatic tail wheel. It will change your life! :lol: I had the 6" tw and it was nothing more than a drag in the sand and gravel and was blowing out on me on a regualr basis. The 8" has much more flotation and it just flat out handels much better. It is alot easier on your airframe too!

If it is GL prone, then your chains are too loose, or the springs on the steering chains are too weak. I like the compression springs alot better than the tension springs.

The single should NOT have gone flat on you, but they are prone to breakage. You can look around town for a spring, or call a local truck shop and see if they will make you one. as a last resort, (due to shipping costs and down time) you can call Brett at Airdale and he will get one out to you.

Is this link the matco you are speaking of? http://www.aircraftspruce.com/menus/lg/tailwheels_matco.html

Am I correct that Airdale is the only one with the double leaf assembly?

What are chains? Are you talking about the cables to the rudder?

Thanks

Posted

Is this link the matco you are speaking of? http://www.aircrafts...eels_matco.html

Am I correct that Airdale is the only one with the double leaf assembly?

What are chains? Are you talking about the cables to the rudder?

Thanks

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PNEUWIDE-idv-3690-69.html

I normally buy straight from Matco. Very nice people and they ship quick!

The chains and springs from the rudder to the tail wheel steering arms.

You can probably find one local in Atown at stoddards or reeves. A truck spring shop should be able to make you one too.

Posted (edited)

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEEL8PNEUWIDE-idv-3690-69.html

I normally buy straight from Matco. Very nice people and they ship quick!

The chains and springs from the rudder to the tail wheel steering arms.

You can probably find one local in Atown at stoddards or reeves. A truck spring shop should be able to make you one too.

Just ordered the 8" wheel. Thanks for the info.

I just watched a video online. The chains are only an extension of the spring. I had the maule tail wheel with two springs from rudder to wheel with no chains.

So is the width of the leaf spring standard for tail draggers?

Thanks

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

Just ordered the 8" wheel. Thanks for the info.

I just watched a video online. The chains are only an extension of the spring. I had the maule tail wheel with two springs from rudder to wheel with no chains.

So is the width of the leaf spring standard for tail draggers?

Thanks

I am not sure if you had the 1.5" or 1.25" spring. You should be able to bolt a 1.5" on there reguardless. The only issue will be the spring arch and keeping your tailwheel geometry right. I had to re-arch mine in a 12 ton press after a couple years of banging it around. I would check Stoddards and see if they have a 2 leaf sring for a cub laying around in the used parts section. Worst case there would be having to cut one down to the right length and re-arching it.

BC.gif

Posted (edited)

So if I buy a larger spring for a cub, lets say a three leaf, are the leaf supposed to be welded together. I think they come loose. I would only use two. The single bolt sticking out of the bottom of the frame is only long enough for one spring and the groove that it lays in is only 1.25.

I have been trying to get a hold of Brett but he will not answer the phone or return my emails.

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

So if I buy a larger spring for a cub, lets say a three leaf, are the leaf supposed to be welded together. I think they come loose. I would only use two. The single bolt sticking out of the bottom of the frame is only long enough for one spring and the groove that it lays in is only 1.25.

I have been trying to get a hold of Brett but he will not answer the phone or return my emails.

I have been trying to get a hold of Brett myself to place an order for the Bush Gear, gave up and ordered them from Highwing LLC.

I put an inspection ring in when I covered the fuselage. You can add one now and touch up the paint or another option is removing the horizontal stab. and fishing in a new longer bolt.

Paul

Posted (edited)

Guys, you need to leave a message (with your name and number!) when calling. Grinding, welding and fabricating (90% of what he does) usually doesn't allow him to answer the phone.

I don't know how many times he as told me how frustrating the frequent hang-up calls are.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

The dual spring and 8" Matco is a great set up. The 8" is overkill of your only flying off of pavement but the big advantage it has is no tube. You could probably run it flat and not even know it. I had the 7" one for a while and kept on getting flats on a regular basis. I got tired of changing out the tube to get out off of a backcountry strip. The dual fork TW is their newest version. It's shorter than the single arm one and keeps your tail lower to the ground for better AOA on your wing during takeoff.

http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEELDUALFORK8PNEU-idv-3727-13.html

Here is the thread where I did the conversion with some pictures.