Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3/4" axle

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Any ideas for the thickness and type of steel to make 3/4" axles out of. I had the Grove gear and axles, and now need the standard type. I will be on ski's so plan to tap threads in the inner diameter. Is 4130 3/4"x .120 adequate?

Thanks,

larry

Posted

How about these? LINK

I also have the Grove gear. I chose to add a second set of axles to the inside of the gear legs to mount my skis on.

post-36-13521712884018_thumb.jpg

Posted

Any ideas for the thickness and type of steel to make 3/4" axles out of. I had the Grove gear and axles, and now need the standard type. I will be on ski's so plan to tap threads in the inner diameter. Is 4130 3/4"x .120 adequate?

Thanks,

larry

.120 will last about as long as a poprcorn fart in a whirl wind. The ID of the stock axles is around .250 maybe even less and I still bend those every year. I have to put on new ones every time I switch from wheels to ski's and again back to wheels. But I am a little rougher than most on mine :lol:

:BC:

Posted

.120 will last about as long as a poprcorn fart in a whirl wind. The ID of the stock axles is around .250 maybe even less and I still bend those every year. I have to put on new ones every time I switch from wheels to ski's and again back to wheels. But I am a little rougher than most on mine :lol:

:BC:

Perhaps solid bar would be better.....

Posted

How about these? LINK

I also have the Grove gear. I chose to add a second set of axles to the inside of the gear legs to mount my skis on.

I made up similar, but I have switch from Grove to tradditonal gear legs.

Posted

Avid Mk-IV manual says 8-7/8" min. axle length necessary for use of wheel penetration skis or wheel pants with 6.00 x 6 standard tires and 8.00 x 6 tundra tires. Leave long and cut to proper length after final ski design. I bought some 3/4" 4130 steel rod, cold finished MIL-S-6758A-normalized to make new axles and cut 3/4"-16 threads for retaining nuts. Cut a center pilot hole on ends of axle while in the lathe. You will need to drill min. 1" deep and tap 7/16" x 20. Will also need to modify axle nut for a spring retaining clip, as the end axle bolt prohibits the use of a retaining cotter key in the end of the axle.

Posted

Avid Mk-IV manual says 8-7/8" min. axle length necessary for use of wheel penetration skis or wheel pants with 6.00 x 6 standard tires and 8.00 x 6 tundra tires. Leave long and cut to proper length after final ski design. I bought some 3/4" 4130 steel rod, cold finished MIL-S-6758A-normalized to make new axles and cut 3/4"-16 threads for retaining nuts. Cut a center pilot hole on ends of axle while in the lathe. You will need to drill min. 1" deep and tap 7/16" x 20. Will also need to modify axle nut for a spring retaining clip, as the end axle bolt prohibits the use of a retaining cotter key in the end of the axle.

THANKS !