Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mode C Transponder

9 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just curious what the limitations are for an AVID flyer. Can this type of plane land at Merrill field if I have a Mode C transponder?

Is there certain airspace it is limited to by law once I have a certificate of airworthiness because it is experimental?

Thanks

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

Just curious what the limitations are for an AVID flyer. Can this type of plane land at Merrill field if I have a Mode C transponder?

Is there certain airspace it is limited to by law once I have a certificate of airworthiness because it is experimental?

Thanks

Merril is not issue even without transponder unless they changed the airspace. I think for ANC you need to call ahead and get permission. Atleast, that is how it used to be.

:BC:

Posted

Merril is not issue even without transponder unless they changed the airspace. I think for ANC you need to call ahead and get permission. Atleast, that is how it used to be.

Do you see a need to have one in Alaska for an AVID.

Thanks

Posted

Do you see a need to have one in Alaska for an AVID.

Thanks

Mine had one in it when I got it, but I took it out. I avoid Atown like it is the plauge just becasue I hote Atown :lol: I go into birchwood and wassilla etc, but have not taken the Avid into Merril yet. It all depends on where you want to fly as to whether you would need one or not. I can do a little research and see if you really need one for Merril.

Posted (edited)

There are no limitations just because you are "experimental" - however you should say that word with your number when you call in - I use experimental Kitfox N1234. It helps controllers, I guess, and I think is required?

Merrill had not required a TSP when I flew there, but that was 10 years ago. I flew with a controller who worked there. I went to Av school on Merrill, but place is too busy for me, and no good place for an emergency landing when taking off toward downtown - prefer Birchwood.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

No transponder is needed for coming into Merrill. It's not required for Lake Hood or the Lake Hood Airstrip either. The Alaska Supplement should have all the details you need. Merrill does have a control tower so you'd have to talk to them. There are quite a few experimental aircraft based at Merrill so I don't think that should be an issue.

-Nate

Posted

No transponder is needed for coming into Merrill. It's not required for Lake Hood or the Lake Hood Airstrip either. The Alaska Supplement should have all the details you need. Merrill does have a control tower so you'd have to talk to them. There are quite a few experimental aircraft based at Merrill so I don't think that should be an issue.

-Nate

Thanks Nate! I was pretty sure that you didnt need one. There are SOME exceptions though depending on what departure route you want to take!!

Stay out of ANC class B and you should be good to go.

Posted

Hey! Merrill is my home field and I own a hangar there. No transponder needed.

But, then again KRRL is probably not what you are talking about.... :hammerhead:

Posted

Hey! Merrill is my home field and I own a hangar there. No transponder needed.

But, then again KRRL is probably not what you are talking about.... hammerhead.gif

yeah I think your right Larry, I dont think that was the one we had in mind :lol: