New forum category! A place to introduce yourself. Please Post!!

23 posts in this topic

Posted

In an effort to get some of you lurkers to post up I created this new section. The introduction forum is a place for you to tell us who you are and what you are building and flying. Please follow this basic format or whatever you are comfortable with posting.

Your name and little about yourself.

Model/Serial Number/Engine of your plane

Are you building, currently flying, or just interested in Avids

Any mods to your airplane that others may benefit from

Attach or post a picture of your airplane.

To attach a picture. Under the box your typing in is a section for the attachments. Just click on browse and then find the picture on your computer. Then click on the picture and finally click on attach this file.

If you want them to show up in the post as an actual picture and not a thumbnail they have to be hosted somewhere on the web with a web address to the picture.

Follow the instructions here on how to post pictures into your post. http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/index.php?showtopic=1421

I'll Start

C5Engineer AKA Joey

Avid #279 C Model w/B model front end, Rotax 582 Blue Head

Restored after it sat for 16 years First Flight Sept 19, 2009

Mods include 21" Nanco Tires, VGs, Matco TW

Couple of pictures

IMG_1050.jpg

IMG_4362.jpg

IMG_3730_zpsdefbaf9b.jpg

My ugly mug

IMG_4396.jpg

Posted

Now that we're back up and running please post up here when you get some time.

Posted (edited)

Okay. I'll play along!

I'm Av8r3400 (aka Larry)

• I am currently flying a Kitfox Model IV-1050.
  • Powered by a 80 hp Rotax 912UL
  • 72" Taper tip, Nickel inlay prop
  • (now) Grove Gear, Grove wheels and double puck brakes, 21x800x6 Aero Classic Tires (with skis in the winter!)
  • Registered as an ELSA, so I took the 16 hour class and hold the inspector's license for it

I'm also building/restoring a Model IV-1200 Classic. This also has a 912UL and will sport the same gear package. I'm planning some tail modifications that I will detail here as I get to them.

post-36-13542094355522_thumb.jpg

post-36-1354209476705_thumb.jpg

post-36-13542097621079_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Hey Y'all, This is Turbo, aka Art.  I love to windsurf in the Columbia Gorge where I live, but there are days when there's no wind.  What to do, what to do?  Years ago I owned a 1957 Tri-Pacer.  It was lots of fun, but on long trips I found myself more interested in flying than actually getting anywhere in particular, so I'd throttle back and tool along at 2200 rpm and 85 mph indicated.  This realization lead me away from rockets like the Sonex or Quasar, and in the direction of the Avid.  I am currently in the process of buying an Avid model C, with some Mk IV features, from a fellow down in southern Oregon.  Since I haven't flown in quite awhile, I am also working on regaining my currency and getting the taildragger endorsement.  I retired from Boeing in 2012, where as an aerodynamicist,  I was one of a very few laminar flow control experts in the company.  I capped my career off with contributions towards achieving low-drag laminar flow on the empennage of the 787-9 and -10 airplanes.  Seeing a technology that I had a hand in developing over decades of R&D finally make its way onto a production airplane was for me the cat's meow!  The Avid I'm buying doesn't have cabin heat or a trim system, and looks like it needs some aerodynamic cleanup.  Unnecessary drag is wasted fuel. I've got lots of ideas to bounce off of the group.   I dream of someday going up when there's enough wind for windsurfing, and flying the Avid backwards!

1 person likes this

Posted

Well there is no question the Avid is a bit draggy.  Undercambered wing adds a lot of drag, not sure if there is any way to get rid of that.  But any thing that improve things is a good thing.  What engine does the C model Avid that you are getting have?  JImChuk

Posted

Welcome to the forum! My Brother lives in Walla Walla and surfs the Columbia regularly. Can’t wait to see some of your drag reducing ideas on these planes because they need it!

Posted

Yeah, the undercamber likely hurts st high speeds.   (Low CL)  The undercamber typically doesn't do much for max CL anyway -LE shape is a much bigger driver.  In my experience the most fertile place for drag reduction is the engine cooling system.  Good baffeling for the radiators is absolutely key.  "My" bird has the 582 grey head, but the radiator is under the belly.  Ugh!  No easy way to get cabin heat either.  Not too keen on heat muff approach.  The cowling is the same as on the mk4, and there is an asymmetric single-radiator installation that allows a lightweight &simple cabin heat option that doesn't need to be modified for summer.   Problem is - where to find the correct radiator?  Thinking about manual cowl flaps.  Since we're limited to 95mph ias, drag reduction is about lowering fuel burn.

Posted

And increasing climb rate 

Posted

Hey guys, I guess it's about time I introduce myself..I have been working in europe and in the african desert as an AME for 25 years and rated on aircrafts such as the B-737 3/4/500, Saab 2000, ATR42/72, Fokker F-50, DHC-6 Twin otter, Pilatus PC-6 porter, Bae 146 / RJ85 series..I probably have forgotten a few. Anyhow I moved to Canada from Switzerland 8 years ago. In Switzerland, I finished an experimental Rutan Long ez and flew it a 100Hrs. Also had this french built wooden 1959 Wassmer WA-40 for a few years.

The idea of moving to Canada came because of my dream of flying floatplanes, ...hence the avid catalina I have brought back into the air (my wallet shrunk from the crazy idea of owning a Beaver to buying an avid I could just afford ....)

As a job I do aerial photography using drones but also the Cat....making no money but having a blast...

Cheeeeers

Posted

hello,My name is Super_D_robot, I'm still in high school.  

I have a Avid flyer under construction and have no clue if there is any mods on the plane or the wing.

got it 11/15/17.

5be5002fb9185_20171115_0943331.thumb.jpg

5be5005e62fbb_20171115_0943541.thumb.jpg 

I looked at some other post and learned to get the weight of the tail gear and I also tried to sort the 5 totes of stuff out.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

hello,My name is Super_D_robot, I'm still in high school.  

I have a Avid flyer under construction and have no clue if there is any mods on the plane or the wing.

got it 11/15/17.

I looked at some other post and learned to get the weight of the tail gear and I also tried to sort the 5 totes of stuff out.

Welcome! Looks like a great project.

You will find a lot of information in this forum and there is always someone to answer any question. I made a full rebuild a few years ago with some documentation on a blog http://avidsimonini.blogspot.com/search/label/Rebuilding the Avid Flyer if that could be of any help. 
Do robots have first names?
Regards
Fred

Edited by FredStork

Posted

thank you Fred.

I do but I prefer to use my avatar name due to my families concerns.

Posted

Welcome, Super-D!  Like Fred says, the guys on this site are friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable.  The Avid rocks, and is inexpensive (relatively speaking) to fly.  You've definitely got a tiger by the tail!  There is so much to learn, and so many ways to build and set up the airplane the way you want.  Each of us tracks a unique path, as we come from many walks of life, ages, and even different countries.  We all share a fascination with the magic of flight, and most are more interested in the flying than actually arriving somewhere.  What is really great is that you can toss out a question to the group, and get back several different answers, or approaches to a particular problem that comes up.  You can then pick the approach you like best, or let those ideas inspire you to your own solution!

Posted

My name is Mike. Greetings from sunny Florida! 

I'm an aviation nut from a long line of non-aviation nuts. I fell deeply in love with flying, the first time I ever looked up! Being close to retirement age, Ive decided to try and make the dream of aircraft ownership a reality. I've purchased the Raven and Mohawk plans, and began gathering materials for the build. I found this forum about a year ago and I've learned so many things from so many like minded people. This being my first build, I still have an awful lot of research to do! My background is Toolmaker/Mech'l Engineer,Artist, Musician and (soon to be and most importantly) Aircraft Owner. I would like to Thank you for the help you've already given me, and the help that's sure to come with my new undertaking!

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Mike,  welcome to the group!  Only dumb question is one that isn't asked.  We love pictures also, so as the build progresses, feel free to post them up.  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

Hi Mike and welcome! I have some unsolicited advice :-). Awesome that you want to build, but a scratch build will take a long time. I would suggest that you consider a two pronged approach. Build this plane you want to build, but find and buy something to buy and fly on the cheap (even if it is a little single place ultralight) while you build if you are really passionate about actually flying. Years go fast at retirement, and you don't want to spend all your time building only to not have much time left to fly! A lot of us have multiple projects with one flying and one or more in the garage! That makes for a great life.

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome Mike, I'm also from Florida - we may give that Alaska bunch some competition soon! :-)

I'm up North  at Lake City.

Mar

Posted

Congratulations, and welcome! I really agree with ChrisBolkan, buy one now (used Avids can be had for about 12 to 15 k), and fly it while you build your own. Also, consider a kit, which will carve years off your build process, especially all the grunch work. Avid kits are out there, as are partial builds.

But in any case, welcome!

Posted

Hi Mike :welcome:

Even a complete kit build is a serious commitment, a plans built is a lifestyle. While I enjoy the building process, I opted to go the rebuild route because of time and $ constraints. It allowed me to play with more than one aircraft too over the years which helped keep attention focused. Hours can turn into days to weeks to months to years if your not careful. Add unexpected life events and things can come to a complete standstill even. Every one of my planes were purchased off folks that couldn't keep building for some reason or another. Of those, I'll finish and fly 3 of 6. Bottom line, even the best laid plans can take a turn. If your goal is to get in the air in the near future and enjoy retirement low and slow, I think this Kitfox is worth a call. LINK Being a member plane you have the benefit of knowing its history. Good luck and Happy Retirement!

Posted

Thank you all for the advice and encouragement. It's much needed. My financial commitments are many, I think I'm going to dedicate myself to a scratch built project.

The advice to start flying now is sound, and I wish I had time and money to do it, but at this writing I will be gluing up the last wing rib tonight. I have the spars and enough tubing to begin welding up the fuselage, however these drawings leave a hell of a lot to be desired. (Thank the gods for the internet!) .

Posted

Mike I am in the same boat. Not enough money to buy a plane so to keep me hungry for flying I am going over the plans. What about the mohawk is different than the raven and where do I buy the mohawk plans? I am also a ToolMaker/weldor with half an engineering lite degree. One thing I am doing is to redraw the plans in solidworks and am kicking around doing some mods to them in cad wider, taller cabin, longer and possibly larger tail surfaces. If you join eaa you get solidworks for free. Also hit up your local eaa chapters monthly meeting to make some friends in aviation. This will lead to some gas money flights for you. 

Posted

Welcome !!

1 person likes this

Posted

Welcome!

These toolmakers make me jealous.  I have a lathe and a mill, but not the skills to use them effectively.  I have gotten really good at turning large useful bits of metal into a pile of easily recycled chips.......

1 person likes this