Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Advice on Avid Mk-IV Speed wing

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Pilots:

There is an AVID on Barnstormers, had been sitting there for a while, the price seems to be right for Jabiru/Speedwing, any idea what could be NOT right? Appreciate for any advice from the experienced pilots!

http://www.barnstormers.com/ad_detail.php?ID=704362

AVID FLYER MK-IV • $18,500 • FLY CHEAP • Avid Mk-IV Speed wing. 113hrs TT, Stits cover, Jabiru 2200, 100 mph+ @ 4.5 gph, EIS engine monitor, FL-760 radio, SPA-400 intercom, GTX 320A Transponder, Prince Carbon Fiber P-tip propeller

Posted

Far be it for me to act like an expert on this subject, except that I am sure that you will find most of the posts by the owners/pilots/builders of the Avids to be negative on this engine.

The Jab without redrive requires a very short prop - therefore, you lose the ability for short takeoffs.

#2. There have been bad reports on the Jab engine, concerning valve problems.

Other than that, I have no helpful info.

ED in MO

Posted

This site sucks! Why cant it go back to the old site?

ED in MO

Posted

Actually I have a friend with a Mark IV heavy hauler with an 80 hp Jabiru. Other than the continuing issued with keeping the CHTs down, it is a fine running motor that does a reasonable job (equatable to a 582) for that plane.

There is currently a speedwing, 582 powered IV in another buddies hangar to which he (CFI) is giving dual to the owner of the plane for checkout. This plane, with wing extensions, is almost unflyable. It barely climbs (300-400 fpm in cool fall weather!) with two on board with minimal fuel. So, taking that plane and putting the lower thrust Jab motor on it would be horrible.

One man's opinion.

Posted

Never heard of anyone complaining about 582 performance. What is his problem? Prop? Speedwing? Reduction ratio?

Site Sucks now.

ED in MO