Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wanted wing rib

21 posts in this topic

Posted

Looking for a wing rib for a kitfox model IV wing, new or good used.

Posted

Also looking for a set of standard or bush gear for a model III kitfox.

Posted

Brett at Airdale can help you with both of those needs.

Posted

I have a standard Kitfox 2 gear for sale (gear only) that should fit your 3 - also the Grove gear listed here.

ED in MO

Posted

Av8r3400, have e-mailed and called Brett with no response, are things OK?

Posted

As far as I know, yes all is well. Did you leave him a message when you called?

Posted

Yes on voice mail.

Posted

Brett REALLY needs to find a way to acknowledge calls and emails in a much more timely fashion IMHO, even if only an auto-reply saying he will call/email back within a few days or whatever. I'm sure whenever he finds time to return a call personally, he is tied up in a long conversation which is counter-productive to producing and shipping parts etc. so it ends up becoming a damned if you do, damned if you don't kind of thing. But, is it a legit business or what? I'd hate to see him fall into the trap of trying to be/do all things to all people and falling short on all counts. Many well-intentioned businesses either falter or fail to reach the next level with that mentality. At some point an assistant is necessary, is his dear wife up for helping on the phone at all?

Posted (edited)

Looking for a wing rib for a kitfox model IV wing, new or good used.

Tim,

I cant promise I can find it, but I have a full-size drawing of a KF5 rib - If you are just wanting a pattern, I would copy it for you. I have an old KF2 rib, and about the only difference is that the KF5 is straight on the bottom. If I cant find the KF5, then can make a drawing for you off of the KF2.

There is also the Harry Riblett drawing of a more modern rib in the file that Doug posted - It has all the dimensions or you could have it enlarged to proper size.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, the model V (which is the same as the IV, VI, VII and Super-Sport) is NOT just a flat bottomed 1-3 rib.

That's what the Avid "Speedwing" airfoil is and it is a terrible performer.

Posted

Ed, the model V (which is the same as the IV, VI, VII and Super-Sport) is NOT just a flat bottomed 1-3 rib.

That's what the Avid "Speedwing" airfoil is and it is a terrible performer.

I will have to check my drawing if I can find it - I compared it once to a KF2 rib and it looked identical, except flat on bottom - I got it from a KF5 owner.

ED in MO

Posted

The "new" Kitfox airfoil is not flat on the bottom. If your drawing show it to be flat it's not accurate.

Posted

The "new" Kitfox airfoil is not flat on the bottom. If your drawing show it to be flat it's not accurate.

I would sure like to have a full-size drawing of one - to compare with what I was given.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

I would sure like to have a full-size drawing of one - to compare with what I was given.

Thanks,

ED in MO

That's the rub, Ed.

The only drawings you will find of this rib will be a tracing of an existing rib or a reverse engineered copy. Neither of which I would trust. Kitfox has less than zero incentive to publish the engineering details of it, therefore they never will. It gets into the whole intellectual property issue...

This has been discussed here before.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

That's the rub, Ed.

The only drawings you will find of this rib will be a tracing of an existing rib or a reverse engineered copy. Neither of which I would trust. Kitfox has less than zero incentive to publish the engineering details of it, therefore they never will. It gets into the whole intellectual property issue...

This has been discussed here before.

I will take a tracing, or any way I can get a print - Up to me to find out how accurate it is - no law against it unless you intend to sell them.

ED in MO

Posted

I took a pic showing the difference between a KF 4-7 Riblett vs. Avid Speed rib. As you can see, NEITHER are flat bottom.

Hopefully, that will halt the hijack of this classified post. wink.gif

post-53-13542402052852_thumb.jpg

post-53-13542402059794_thumb.jpg

Posted

Great photos Doug! Thanks.

Posted (edited)

I took a pic showing the difference between a KF 4-7 Riblett vs. Avid Speed rib. As you can see, NEITHER are flat bottom.

Hopefully, that will halt the hijack of this classified post. wink.gif

Good photos Doug - But dont think the post has been hijacked - Tim wanted a KF4 rib for a pattern - Think someone who has one could offer a drawing - I would certainly share mine at no cost if it would work for him.

ED in MO

P.S. you didnt designate which was the KF rib?

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Ed -

Perhaps I misunderstood, based on the original post I though he was trying to locate an actual rib not a drawing. dunno.gif

The KF 4-7 rib has a slight under camber on the back half of the bottom airfoil and truss style web cutouts, the Avid speed rib has a slightly positive bottom camber and oval web cutouts.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Ed -

Perhaps I misunderstood, based on the original post I though he was trying to locate an actual rib not a drawing. dunno.gif

The KF 4-7 rib has a slight under camber on the back half of the bottom airfoil and truss style web cutouts, the Avid speed rib has a slightly positive bottom camber and oval web cutouts.

Sorry Doug,

Maybe I was the one who misunderstood - I figured because he only wanted one rib that it was for a pattern - Think he has an earlier model plane. I made most of my ribs, and think they are better than factory - Just wish I would have known then to wait for a better rib to come out - Oh well, mine should slow down better, but not go as fast - not in any hurry to get anywhere any way.

ED in MO

Posted

Thanks Guys for the help,yes I was looking for a completed four rib, got one. Ed I will be in contact today.