Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GROVE SPRING GEAR AND MATCO WHEELS, BRAKES, AXELS

16 posts in this topic

Posted

I have upgraded my Grove spring gear (1200 gvw) and Matco W-60 or W-600 (1420 lbs each), Matco brakes and Axels to fit

Grove gear, to a Kitfox 7 gear (1550 gvw) completely.

I will have my old set, which are like almost new, for sale. MAY, OR MAY NOT, Have mounting blocks for sale, but you can still get them from Grove. These are adaptable to Kitfox 1 - 4, and whatever Avids that are under 1200 gvw, I guess.

Anyone interested, please reply or send me a pm.

Grove sells the gear for $1650, and Kitfox wants about $4000 for the whole set, but they include tires, I think?

Mine are prices a lot cheaper - a lot cheaper!

ED in MO

Posted

Cant find "edit" on this new site - so adding here that the Grove Spring Gear measures 60 inches wide, and you add the brake and tire width on each side to that. Believe the height from frame to center of axel is 20 or 22 inche.

This is probably wider than the stock Avid gear.

ED in MO

Posted

Tim,

my protection had to be turned off to get on this site. Going to try to send you a pm.

Couldnt answer the one you sent me - but got your email.

If all fails, call me at 314-753-8587 afternoons CST

need your address so I can mail photos.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

I have upgraded my Grove spring gear (1200 gvw) and Matco W-60 or W-600 (1420 lbs each), Matco brakes and Axels to fit

Grove gear, to a Kitfox 7 gear (1550 gvw) completely.

I will have my old set, which are like almost new, for sale. MAY, OR MAY NOT, Have mounting blocks for sale, but you can still get them from Grove. These are adaptable to Kitfox 1 - 4, and whatever Avids that are under 1200 gvw, I guess.

Anyone interested, please reply or send me a pm.

Grove sells the gear for $1650, and Kitfox wants about $4000 for the whole set, but they include tires, I think?

Mine are prices a lot cheaper - a lot cheaper!

ED in MO

Posted

Ed,

What model Kitfox does this gear fit?

What is the width dimension across the top from radius to radius?

Joe Boyle

301-797-1875

joeboyle1@verizon.net

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Joe Boyle

301-797-1875

joeboyle1@verizon.net

Joe,

I will go out and measure tomorrow - believe my KF2 is 32 inches across bottom - I have the blocks that attach to the regular gear ears, but may or may not have the 2 clamp blocks that match. These can be bought from Grove if I cant find mine, and dont cost much. It should fit Kitfoxes including the 1 thru 4. I dont know about the later ones, but think they are same width on bottom?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Per their website, Grove makes gear model that fit the III and IV, then a different model that fits the V through VII. Link

The dimensions they give show it to be 31.5" wide on the top for the smaller spring. They don't say it fits, but I would assume that this is the one you had on your 2. Ed, does your gear have the 'rolled pins' in the trailing edge to locate them or does it have a hole drilled in the middle of the spring?

I just ordered a set of mounting blocks for a IV from Grove and they were $400. I have a used spring I bought from a friend, the mounts, axles and wheel/brake assembly are quoted at $1550. A new IV spring with the mounts is $1680. Avids use a different spring altogether. They have different geometry to them.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

Per their website, Grove makes gear model that fit the III and IV, then a different model that fits the V through VII. Link

The dimensions they give show it to be 31.5" wide on the top for the smaller spring. They don't say it fits, but I would assume that this is the one you had on your 2. Ed, does your gear have the 'rolled pins' in the trailing edge to locate them or does it have a hole drilled in the middle of the spring?

I just ordered a set of mounting blocks for a IV from Grove and they were $400. I have a used spring I bought from a friend, the mounts, axles and wheel/brake assembly are quoted at $1550. A new IV spring with the mounts is $1680. Avids use a different spring altogether. They have different geometry to them.

The Kitfox is 32 inches across - the Avid is 31 1/2. The 32 should fit either.

Those mounts sur have gone up in price - I only need the clamp blocks to finish my set, and they are $29 each - need 2 if I cant find mine.

Mine has the hole in the middle. and it is gun-drilled for the brake lines to go inside the spring.

I see some small differences between the Avid B,C & Mk4 and the Kitfox 1,2,3,4, but not enough to say they wont interchange.

The tri-gears are shorter than the TDs, but I am using the taller TD on my tri. Just got to step a little higher, and it raises the prop 6 inches more.

I am useing a KF7 gear on my project, and Robby Grove told me it wouldnt matter if the radius blocks are mounted 3 to 4 inches closer together than on the 7.

I am asking $1100 for my KF4 TD gear with almost new Matco wheels and brakes, plus shipping.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The Kitfox is 32 inches across - the Avid is 31 1/2. The 32 should fit either.

Those mounts sur have gone up in price - I only need the clamp blocks to finish my set, and they are $29 each - need 2 if I cant find mine.

Mine has the hole in the middle. and it is gun-drilled for the brake lines to go inside the spring.

I see some small differences between the Avid B,C & Mk4 and the Kitfox 1,2,3,4, but not enough to say they wont interchange.

The tri-gears are shorter than the TDs, but I am using the taller TD on my tri. Just got to step a little higher, and it raises the prop 6 inches more.

I am useing a KF7 gear on my project, and Robby Grove told me it wouldnt matter if the radius blocks are mounted 3 to 4 inches closer together than on the 7.

I am asking $1100 for my KF4 TD gear with almost new Matco wheels and brakes, plus shipping.

ED in MO

Great price for that set! I'd be calling if I hadn't already got mine.

Where are you going to get the blocks for $29? Grove wants $400 for a Kitfox IV. (Kitfox blocks do not fit the Avid gear mount tabs unless you do some serious modifications.)

Plus, the Avid gear spring is bent such that the wheels are forward from the mounts. Kitfox gear are straight. Not an easy interchange.

Posted

Ed,

Joe Boyle

301-797-1875

joeboyle1@verizon.net

Joe,

I just measured the flat on the gear is 32 1/2 inches before the bends start. The bends, center to center, as best I can measure are 34 1/2 to 35 inches. I measured the underside of the gear - forgot you asked about top, but it should be nearly the same.

If you are interested, call me at 314-753-8587 afternoons or evenings CST.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Great price for that set! I'd be calling if I hadn't already got mine.

Where are you going to get the blocks for $29? Grove wants $400 for a Kitfox IV. (Kitfox blocks do not fit the Avid gear mount tabs unless you do some serious modifications.)

Plus, the Avid gear spring is bent such that the wheels are forward from the mounts. Kitfox gear are straight. Not an easy interchange.

The radius (clamp) blocks are $24 or $29 each in my Grove catalog, depending on size you order.

This is not the mounting blocks that fit the original gear - just the other half of the set.

I dont know anything about the Avids - Mine are Kitfox.

I understand that the original Kitfox gear will fit the Avid - so why wont these mounts fit too?

I am told that this conversion works better than the original Avid gear.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The radius (clamp) blocks are $24 or $29 each in my Grove catalog, depending on size you order.

This is not the mounting blocks that fit the original gear - just the other half of the set.

I dont know anything about the Avids - Mine are Kitfox.

I understand that the original Kitfox gear will fit the Avid - so why wont these mounts fit too?

I am told that this conversion works better than the original Avid gear.

ED in MO

Do you have a photo of your gear installation? It seems to have been mounted much differently than mine (Hence my questions and confusion).

I will agree wholeheartedly that Grove gear works far superior to the original bungee gear.

Posted (edited)

Do you have a photo of your gear installation? It seems to have been mounted much differently than mine (Hence my questions and confusion).

I will agree wholeheartedly that Grove gear works far superior to the original bungee gear.

I dont have any photos of the old mounting - My project has flat fuselage tubes to which the radius blocks bolt to, top and bottom of spring, and the old KF7 had a different style altogether with nylon radius blocks inside of either steel or aluminum mounts - I have all 3 styles of mounts, but only have the upper part of the early mount which attaches to the gear leg tabs on the fuselage - the lower, clamp block is what I dont have.

Is your lower block a radius block, or just a milled and drilled flat clamp block?

Ed in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

My flying plane just has a "square" clamping arrangement, but the clamps bolt to the original front gear mount and forward float mount positions allowing them to rotate about the longitudinal axis of the bottom stringer. The lower blocks are "not" radius blocks.

I don't have a good closeup photo of the mount (I'll get one) but here is what I have...

post-36-13589099252426_thumb.jpg

I'm doing some reinforcement of this area in my project plane and will take a bunch of photos when I get to that phase of construction. I can only assume that this mount is what Grove quoted me $400 for the pair and hardware. (Fairly complex machining)

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

My flying plane just has a "square" clamping arrangement, but the clamps bolt to the original front gear mount and forward float mount positions allowing them to rotate about the longitudinal axis of the bottom stringer. The lower blocks are "not" radius blocks.

I don't have a good closeup photo of the mount (I'll get one) but here is what I have...

post-36-13589099252426_thumb.jpg

I'm doing some reinforcement of this area in my project plane and will take a bunch of photos when I get to that phase of construction. I can only assume that this mount is what Grove quoted me $400 for the pair and hardware. (Fairly complex machining)

That looks like what I have - the lower blocks could be made locally by any machine shop out of aluminum.

ED in MO

edit: Joe says he needs a Kitfox 6 or 7 gear for his project, so my KF1-4 gear is still for sale.

Joe dont have an Avid or Kitfox - He has a Whirlwind experimental.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

The Grove Gear and Matco wheels, etc has been SOLD.

EDMO