Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Rotax 582 Grey Head Rebuild

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Glad to see the forum back up. I have a mid 90's rotax 582 grey head with 2 hours on it. I decided to be on the safe side and do a complete rebuild. I am going to rebuild it myself. I am afraid the seals may go bad. Who can you direct me to that will guide me about what I need to bring the 582 grey head up to spec and take advantage of upgrades that will improve performance.

Also, I need to replace the motor mount rubber which is on a AVID flyer. Where can I get those. See attached picture

Thanks.

post-526-13539664709116_thumb.jpg

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted (edited)

Rotax Rick. He is you man for the job....careful though. You may end up with a little bit more power than you had before. Everyone I have talked to have been well pleased with his work and service. Look for him on Barnstormers....usually has an add or two there....My link

As for the mount it looks like a barry mount. AC Spruce should have....look at the online cat of California power systems.....Green sky adventures have a few mounts

My link

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

Upgrade it to a Bluehead while you're at it!

Posted

I forgot I had scanned it and posted the repair manual here. I will still drop the DVD's into the mail for you today.

The upgrade to the "blue head" is sending the case off to have it machined for the ceramic seal on the water pump. They also have a little bit different cooling circuit but I am not convinced that it is really needed.

The issues with the original water pump come down to the coolant used and the water you use. If you use silica free anitfreeze ( Dexcool or any of the "extended life") and distilled water. It turned out that minerals in the water and the coolant were causing the rubber seals to wear a groove in the RV shaft and letting the water leak by. I would not be too worried about it until the next rebuild unless you just want to blow money up front on it and have the plane down even longer until you get the case halves back from machining.

:BC:

Posted

I forgot I had scanned it and posted the repair manual here. I will still drop the DVD's into the mail for you today.

The upgrade to the "blue head" is sending the case off to have it machined for the ceramic seal on the water pump. They also have a little bit different cooling circuit but I am not convinced that it is really needed.

The issues with the original water pump come down to the coolant used and the water you use. If you use silica free anitfreeze ( Dexcool or any of the "extended life") and distilled water. It turned out that minerals in the water and the coolant were causing the rubber seals to wear a groove in the RV shaft and letting the water leak by. I would not be too worried about it until the next rebuild unless you just want to blow money up front on it and have the plane down even longer until you get the case halves back from machining.

:BC:/>

The fellow at airscrew performance came unglued when I told him I needed it machined for the ceramic seal. He said it is completely unnecessary if I use the right coolant.

The manual you have posted for download is only 15 pages. I will try it again and see if I am doing something wrong.

Thank you for your generosity in sharing the dvd and manual.

Thanks

Posted

The fellow at airscrew performance came unglued when I told him I needed it machined for the ceramic seal. He said it is completely unnecessary if I use the right coolant.

The manual you have posted for download is only 15 pages. I will try it again and see if I am doing something wrong.

Thank you for your generosity in sharing the dvd and manual.

Thanks

There are 11 different ones that make up the entire manual. You have to download them all...

I agree on the right coolant...

Posted

Upgrade it to a Bluehead while you're at it!

How do I do that? What mods are to be done?