Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WARP DRIVE SPINNERS?

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Anyone have opinions about the better of the metal or plastic spinners for the WD prop?

Also, what is difference between HP and HP-L hub?

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

Anyone have opinions about the better of the metal or plastic spinners for the WD prop?

Also, what is difference between HP and HP-L hub?

Thanks,

ED in MO

Ed,

Randy and I have used both types and found little difference, The fiberglass one is sleeker looking than the skull cap one, but that is a matter of taste and what you might have on hand. I believe the HP hub is used on engines with the SAE-1 or 2 hubs, the HP-L, is for the smaller Rotax hub. I was thinking of getting an extension made that would allow me to use a prop with the HP-L hub, but never talked to the Warp Drive people to see if that hub is compatible with the Subaru. If the HP-L hub is usable on the Subaru, Warp makes a nice lookinf 8 or 9 inch spinner, currently out of stock, that would look pretty sharp on the nose of your bird.

Jackak

Posted (edited)

Ed,

Randy and I have used both types and found little difference, The fiberglass one is sleeker looking than the skull cap one, but that is a matter of taste and what you might have on hand. I believe the HP hub is used on engines with the SAE-1 or 2 hubs, the HP-L, is for the smaller Rotax hub. I was thinking of getting an extension made that would allow me to use a prop with the HP-L hub, but never talked to the Warp Drive people to see if that hub is compatible with the Subaru. If the HP-L hub is usable on the Subaru, Warp makes a nice lookinf 8 or 9 inch spinner, currently out of stock, that would look pretty sharp on the nose of your bird.

Jackak

Thanks for the info - I now have the HP hub, SAE-2 - waiting until bird is ready to fly to buy the Whirlwind blades.

Randy said he has the skullcap spinner, and that looks like the most practical, since you can get to your clamp bolts without removing the spinner.

On the HP hub, you only use 2 clamp bolts on each blade - The HPL for the Rotax uses 4 clamp bolts, and looks lighter/smaller.

I will probably be looking for an extension when I fit my cowl - right now I dont know if or how much extension I will need. Everything is depending on how things go together when you are scratch-building.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed-

I like the skullcap. Immediate access to the clamping bolts (both physically and visually if you use witness marks) is higher on my priority list than aesthetics. Besides, I'm lazy, and there is only one bolt to remove vs. how many screws around the f/g spinner prop plate? I found that a PITA on my KF3 and wasn't too happy to hear a tiny c-r-a-c-k when I overtightened a screw once. I also found the screw post is handy to clamp my square to when adjusting the prop pitch. Once I have the square flat to the prop plate and clamped square to the post, I zero my digital angle finder to the backside of the ruler (so I don't have to flip or do complicated math wink.gif) then stick it onto a small flat metal plate clamped to the tip of a horizontally leveled blade. Angle finder gauge has magnetic base so it just stays there in place while you adjust. Works for me.

post-53-13625864037506_thumb.jpg

post-53-1362586406062_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Ed-

I like the skullcap. Immediate access to the clamping bolts (both physically and visually if you use witness marks) is higher on my priority list than aesthetics. Besides, I'm lazy, and there is only one bolt to remove vs. how many screws around the f/g spinner prop plate? I found that a PITA on my KF3 and wasn't too happy to hear a tiny c-r-a-c-k when I overtightened a screw once. I also found the screw post is handy to clamp my square to when adjusting the prop pitch. Once I have the square flat to the prop plate and clamped square to the post, I zero my digital angle finder to the backside of the ruler (so I don't have to flip or do complicated math wink.gif) then stick it onto a small flat metal plate clamped to the tip of a horizontally leveled blade. Angle finder gauge has magnetic base so it just stays there in place while you adjust. Works for me.

I'm convinced. Got enough PITA without adding more!

Thanks for the tips.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri