Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

GROVE BRAKES AND MATCO MC-4 ?

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Can I expect good braking with Matco MC-4 combined with Grove Calipers the size used on the Kitfox 7?

Should I plan on getting the reducer kit that Matco sells?

I think that Grove operates at 600 psi, and Matco about 450.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I could go on and on about this!!

I have the Matco MC4 Masters in my plane. The original brake on my plane were the inside-disc Douglas wheel setup with single puck Matco calipers. To say they sucked would be an absolute insult to things that suck. They were terrible in the extreme. I could barely hold the plane at a 3000 rpm run-up, much less try to stop on a short landing.

I upgraded to the Grove gear, wheels and brakes off my project plane when I bent my bungee truss (Story told elsewhere on this site).

These brakes are amazing in comparison. They are the double puck style calipers being run by the unmodified Matco masters. They are strong and reliable. I like strong brakes. If you jam on them hard you could nose over the plane. Some people don't like this, but I want to be able to stop, so it doesn't bother me. I can hold the plane with my larger tires with full power! That's what I like!!

Below are photos of the old and new brakes.

post-36-13542435299045_thumb.jpg

post-36-1354244246102_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

I could go on and on about this!!

I have the Matco MC4 Masters in my plane. The original brake on my plane were the inside-disc Douglas wheel setup with single puck Matco calipers. To say they sucked would be an absolute insult to things that suck. They were terrible in the extreme. I could barely hold the plane at a 3000 rpm run-up, much less try to stop on a short landing.

I upgraded to the Grove gear, wheels and brakes off my project plane when I bent my bungee truss (Story told elsewhere on this site).

These brakes are amazing in comparison. They are the double puck style calipers being run by the unmodified Matco masters. They are strong and reliable. I like strong brakes. If you jam on them hard you could nose over the plane. Some people don't like this, but I want to be able to stop, so it doesn't bother me. I can hold the plane with my larger tires with full power! That's what I like!!

Below are photos of the old and new brakes.

Thats great news for me - Just in case someone else reads this, the Matco brakes I have for sale with my old Grove gear are the heavier (double puck?) than the ones that came out on the earlier foxes/avids - They should work good on a 1200 gvw or less - I just changed because I wanted the heavier Kitfox 7 spring gear, and got Grove wheels and brakes with it.

Thanks again,

ED in MO

Wlhat size tires are you running?

Edited by Ed In Missouri