Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

WHAT SIZE SPINNER?

17 posts in this topic

Posted

Would a 12 inch spinner work, or be too big, on the late model, not the round cowl?

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

12" spinner? Ed, are you sure you aren't installing a PT6? :D

NewCessna.JPG

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

12" spinner? Ed, are you sure you aren't installing a PT6? :D

OK - Next Question: What is diameter of 3-blade Warp Drive HP Hub, and what size spinner? For a EA81,

PT6, Allison 250, R-3350?

Ed in MO

Posted

In all seriousness - I'm using a "skull cap" style spinner that sits on the face of the Warp HP hub. Simple and functional.

post-36-13544824317716_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

In all seriousness - I'm using a "skull cap" style spinner that sits on the face of the Warp HP hub. Simple and functional.

I had one on my Ercoupe - simple and cheeap - Looks good too -

Your hub looks like an HPL, or older HP with scalloped sides - the new one, Lycoming SAE-2, Looks more like a triangle, and the skullcap wont cover it very well - the spinner needs to sit about where the end of the hub clamps on the blade, and that will take a larger spinner. I have a 12 inch, and think WD offers a 10, 11, maybe 12? Guess I will know more when I get the hub. I am planning on the Whirlwind Razorblades that fit the WD hub.

Yes, 12" sounds big - believe the big Hamilton Standard Props for the DC-6 we used to rebuild had that size or maybe a 10.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

My project plane has an electrically ground adjustable IVO prop. It also came with a small "Skull Cap" type spinner. I am considering a larger "full coverage" spinner for it though.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted (edited)

My project plane has an electrically ground adjustable IVO prop. It also came with a small "Skull Cap" type spinner. I am considering a larger "full coverage" spinner for it though.

I was asking because a 12" covers about 1/3 or 1/4 of my air intakes - but think the hub will too?

I may have a undrilled 12 kit for sale someday.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I was asking because a 12" covers about 1/3 or 1/4 of my air intakes - but think the hub will too?

I may have a undrilled 12 kit for sale someday.

ED in MO

Ed,

I've been looking at the various spinners available and will choose between the aluminum skull cap, that I already have, and a 9 inch fiberglass one. I have a 10 inch fiberglass and it sticks up above the top of the cowling about 1/2 inch. I don't care for the looks of that. A 9 inch spinner would come up to just about to the top of the cowling, or just slightly below. There's a company, UHS Spinners, that sells all kinds of spinners at a fairly reasonable price, you might want to check them out. Maybe give them a call. My engine is a Stratus Subaru with their belt drive.

Hope this helps,

Jackak

email for UHS is sales@uhsspinners.com

phone 905-640-1534

Posted

Hi!

I went through the same "decision" with my Ivo prop. While I like the look and improved airflow that should happen with a full sized spinner, I ended up sticking with the skull cap on the IVO for two big reasons 1) easy to inspect the telltale SS tapes. Mine broke, requireing retorquing quite often and 2) Ease of setting up to do re-torquing when required. One little screw on the skullcap to gain access to prop bolts.

Food for thought. The full sized spinner sure looks right though!

Chris

Posted

Where did you get the skull cap spinner to fit the IVO IFA? 

Posted

Not sure if anyone saw this; does anyone have a source for the skull cap spinner to fit the IVO IFA (Medium)?

Thanks,

Randy

Posted

I would think Ivo direct would be the best source. I have a polished "skull cap" spinner for my IFA-UL Ivo.

Posted

Randy they should come with one. Is your electric motor out in the breeze? I put 3.8 on mine today. Very happy with it. With the IFA, Hacman, and fuel flow computer you almost have to use your brain to operate this thing now. As my buddy said "it's almost like a real plane" :)

Posted

I asked IVO when I ordered my prop if they had a spinner and they said they didn't sell spinners.  I ordered a UHS fiberglass spinner and when I got it it was cut out totally wrong.  At this point my motor is out in the breeze as you say Joey.  IVO did say that that is no problem for the prop but it does look kind of unfinished. 

I agree with you on the setup; I have the same: IFA, Hacman mixture control and fuel flow meter on mine and it really lets you maximize your efficiency.  I put a boost/vacume gage on mine but it doesn't read accurately enough to be of any use.  I pretty much set my rpm and cruise speed and then lean to 1450 or below on my egt's and watch the fuel flowdrop as it is leaned.  I also found that I can mark 1/2, 3/4 and full throttle on the throttle shaft with a sharpie marker so I know about how much throttle I am running.  Unfortunately the sharpie markers wear off quickly on the chromed shaft so I need to need to find a more permanent way to mark the shaft.

Posted

When you spoke they didn't have a recommendation as to where to get one?

Posted

IVO didn't give a source.  Thanks for the info on CPS, it looks like they have the spinner; now if they have the mounting kit for it.  I will give them a call.