Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Years at the Lodge

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Just letting the locals know... We are going to be doing it up right at the Lodge this Newyears. Got a Pacer load or two of fireworks and it will be a great show. The company cant be beat and its a great place to hang out and enjoy a few beverages, catch some Pike, or base out of for flights to Denali or through rainy pass etc. I am planning on hanging out for 5 or 6 days there and enjoying any kind of flying we can do.

As of this time, there is only a few inches of snow on the runway. The "runway" is on the lake and Dan keeps it packed and groomed. It is around 1500' long and is marked with Spruce bows or black garbage bags on sticks so you can see it really well. As of now, landing there on wheels is not an issue but I always prefer ski's as there are other places we like to fly out to and land at.

For anyone who has never been there before, it is located on upper fish lake off the Yetna River about 10 miles below Skwentna. It is without a doubt my favorite place on earth. The view and the hosts cant be beat. http://www.alaskafishcreeklodge.com/

GPS N 61.57.602 W 150.57.839

Let me know if you are intersted as we have worked out a great rate for the lodge, based on a few factors ( we are flying in all the food etc so they wont have any real expense other than buring the wood and propane and diesel in the generator) but I need to have a pretty accurate head count to make sure we dont run out of anyting, especially adult beverages on newyears eve!

:BC:

Posted

Hi Leni,

That sounds great, I plan to come but will have to figure out which days I can make it. I will try to fly some fuel out and drop it in the next week or so but will probably only be able to stage 10 gal and then bring an extra 10 with me. That will probably keep me set for a couple days of flying though since I will have pretty full tanks when I get there. Hope we get some others to come too!

Posted

Randy, if all else fails, its a 20 minute flight to willow to get more gas! Let me know when you figure out when you can make it. I am hoping for good clear weather and calm winds. The wind out there above 500' has been blowing out of the north west at 20-40 for the last month. Below 500 it is pretty calm and smooth though.

Posted

Hey Leni, Im thinking a certain someone, (no need to mention any names)took some fabulous, excellent, great shots of u flyin back from lodge and Im thinkin

maybe one of those great shots needs to be your avatar. Okay? Okay. Just sayin. Your Brothers other half. Much love.

Posted

Randy, if all else fails, its a 20 minute flight to willow to get more gas! Let me know when you figure out when you can make it. I am hoping for good clear weather and calm winds. The wind out there above 500' has been blowing out of the north west at 20-40 for the last month. Below 500 it is pretty calm and smooth though.

:BC:src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/BC.gif">

I hope we get some good weather too; the wind here in Palmer have been pretty crazy 50's + and non-stop this winter. It finally got calm and clear yesterday so since I still have a caribou tag for unit 13 near Eureka I flew up there to look for some bou. Even in the "calm" winds I was doing 75 mph going up and 115mph coming back. Had a great 4 hour flight and was tempted to make the circuit around and down the Big Su since I was about to the Big Su just south of Lake Loise. But I had to go to the bathroom so bad and I am still on wheels so had to fly back to Eureka and land on the strip there that was packed snow. It was a beautiful, clear, -14 day up there though. Now I just have to get back up ther with the snow machine to get a bou.

post-75-13550354081537_thumb.jpg

Posted

I hope we get some good weather too; the wind here in Palmer have been pretty crazy 50's + and non-stop this winter. It finally got calm and clear yesterday so since I still have a caribou tag for unit 13 near Eureka I flew up there to look for some bou. Even in the "calm" winds I was doing 75 mph going up and 115mph coming back. Had a great 4 hour flight and was tempted to make the circuit around and down the Big Su since I was about to the Big Su just south of Lake Loise. But I had to go to the bathroom so bad and I am still on wheels so had to fly back to Eureka and land on the strip there that was packed snow. It was a beautiful, clear, -14 day up there though. Now I just have to get back up ther with the snow machine to get a bou.

Nice shot Randy!

The runway at the lodge is packed too so you can land there with wheels no problem. We landed the pacer there a few times in the last couple weeks. Not sure how much snow they got out of this last system so you may want to call ahead and see what Dan says on landing there with wheels now.

Hope to see you up there at newyears!

Posted

Leni,

I plan to switch to skis before then so I can land wherever we decide to go. You are on skis now right? I will try to make it out there on the 28th if you are going to be there then. Will probably come backon the 29th and be back out there on the 30th through the 1st (if the weather cooperates).

Bob and Dave, are you guys going to make it?

Posted

Yes I am on Ski's now. The plan is for me to be there the 28th till the 2nd or 3rd depending on weather. Not sure on who else will show up at our little corner of paradise.

Posted

Skis are on; filled some gas bags and found out one of my new ones leaks (bummer). Now just have to find time to go get a carribou, do Christmas shopping, and do a gas drop at the Lodge this weekend to get ready for the next.:)src="http://www.avidfoxflyers.com/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif">

Posted

Randy,

What gas bags are you using? I have looked at several from the ABW and the Swiss Water Bags.

BC.gif

Posted

Randy,

What gas bags are you using? I have looked at several from the ABW and the Swiss Water Bags.

BC.gif

The're the Swiss water bags. They were cheap so not a big deal except that I really wanted to have 4 of them. I had one of the caps break on one of the other ones so I guess I needed a parts bag anyway.

Man the wind is ripping here again; 50 gusting to 70. Hope it backs off by the time we head for the Lodge. It took me 2 hours to plow the huge drift out from in front of the house tonight so probably no snow left on the runway grass at Wolf lake. Guess I will be using the lake instead.

Posted

YIKES, those darn valley winds! It has to be a great comfort to you knowing that you plane is tucked away in the hangar instead of out in the elements. It is a pain to trailer mine back and forth, but when I am gone at work, it is alot easier on my mind knowing it is in the garage than out at the lake or airport when we get those big winds or heavy snows!

New plan... The wife has to drive the truck up to Anchorage on the 28th to drop it off at the shop. My cousin will take her out to biglake. The plan is for me to leave Soldotna around 9:30 AM loaded up with stuff for the lodge, drop it off then start ferrying in fireworks/ additional supplies from biglake to the lodge then make the final trip in to the lodge sometime around 3 PM with the wife. I hope to get a good stash of gas out there, if not, I can fly gas in from Willow if needed. I may just break down and have Barry fly in a load in the 206 and I can have gas there all winter with one trip. I will keep you posted as we get closer to the date and get a better feel for weather etc.

Posted

Sounds good, I will keep my ear to the wall, Haha. It looks like I will be making my gas run on the 28th as well so may be able to catch up with you to help you haul gear. What color fire ball would that be with gas, fireworks and alcohol?

I was going to try to make a gas run out there on the 26th but didn't get a carribou today so will probably try for one again on the 26th instead. Had an oppourtunity but wanted to make double sure I was shooting a bull and not a cow. Color looks obvious but with small horns I was second guessing myself. Hard to get the helmet off, glasses on them and not fog everything up at -18, then shoot. Makes it a fun challenge though.

Still bowing here today though.

Posted

We have been having some nasty weather lately; high winds and a mid winter melt down in the 40's but finally got a break in the wind today and got to meet up with Leni and get some fun flying in. Here are some pics from our trip up the Yehntna River to the glacier today; it was a blast playing wingman for Leni and his beautiful new bride. It looks like Leni has her trained right, or it could be the other way around; anyway she likes to fly. How cool is that! They are staying at the Lodge for another couple of days but I came back since winds are supposed to be gusting 80 again by tonight. Clouds were closing in by the end of the day so not the greatest pics; looks like we will just have to do it all again. What a shame.

post-75-13570188396328_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570189102783_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570190099241_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570190826514_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570191438219_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570192664853_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570193964846_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570194718895_thumb.jpg

post-75-13570195525087_thumb.jpg

Posted

We have been having some nasty weather lately; high winds and a mid winter melt down in the 40's but finally got a break in the wind today and got to meet up with Leni and get some fun flying in. Here are some pics from our trip up the Yehntna River to the glacier today; it was a blast playing wingman for Leni and his beautiful new bride. It looks like Leni has her trained right, or it could be the other way around; anyway she likes to fly. How cool is that! They are staying at the Lodge for another couple of days but I came back since winds are supposed to be gusting 80 again by tonight. Clouds were closing in by the end of the day so not the greatest pics; looks like we will just have to do it all again. What a shame.

Randy,

I can't believe I missed this thread! Nice pics. It was a fun day of flying and you made the right call I think to head back. The winds at the lodge never got bad, but they sure did East of the big Su! I tried to make a supply run to big lake and to go check out Avidheavys bird, but I got the snot kicked out of me about 1/2 mile after I crossed the big Su. flying side ways at 120 knots and stomping the rudder like a mad man to keep the greasy side down. I headed back to the lodge for another week to hole up and wait for favorable winds before I went back to biglake.

I will try and get some pictures Christine took but they were just with her cell phone so they are not the greatest :lol: All in all it was a great day flying with you and I saw some new territory to go check out hopefully in the next couple of weeks!

Posted

Hey Leni,

I'm looking forward to the pics and getting out there the next chance we can to do some more exploring!