Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

3 piece windshield

41 posts in this topic

Posted

Doug,

How long did you leave the lamps on the Lexan? Did you check the temperature of the Lexan? Was it allowed to cool slowly, just normal room temp or what?

Thanks,

ED in MO

Ed-

My lights had high/low switch so I just started on low for a while, then turned on high. Can't recall for how long, maybe 20 mins or so. No idea of actual temp, don't own an infared thermometer, but was too hot to touch for sure. Reversed process for slower cool down.

I have the AeroLP on my KF4 and like it. It had a tiny crack started, stop-drilled and covered with what appears to be some kind of glue when I got it. Looks like it may have been this way for a while and it isn't getting any bigger so I've just let it be.

Posted (edited)

Ed-

My lights had high/low switch so I just started on low for a while, then turned on high. Can't recall for how long, maybe 20 mins or so. No idea of actual temp, don't own an infared thermometer, but was too hot to touch for sure. Reversed process for slower cool down.

I have the AeroLP on my KF4 and like it. It had a tiny crack started, stop-drilled and covered with what appears to be some kind of glue when I got it. Looks like it may have been this way for a while and it isn't getting any bigger so I've just let it be.

Model airplane glue - the clear stuff - is just plexiglas with some kind of solvent - probably what they used.

We used it in AMT school for putting patches / plugs in plexi.

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you were referring to stop drilling to keep the crack from going further, I wasn't about to take any chances with that windshield. It broke so easy that I didn't want to give it a chance to shatter and come flying into my face at 100 MPH. I had a sheet of 4'X4'X .090 Lexan that came with the kit and built the windshield out of that. I've heard of others that have had the plexiglass windshields break on them also. I know the Lexan scratches easier, but I'm sticking with that. I just bought a 4'X8' X.090 Lexan from a local commercial window builder/installer for $75, and that will make 2 windshields for me. Actually I got a break on the price cause my son who is a construction superintendent works quite often with this guy and they help each other out when they can. Take care, Jim Chuk

There is a Lexan with a "hardened surface" supposed to be more scratch-resistant, but still scratches like plexiglass - just something we have to live with. Good price on the Lexan.

ED

Posted

If you were referring to stop drilling to keep the crack from going further, I wasn't about to take any chances with that windshield. It broke so easy that I didn't want to give it a chance to shatter and come flying into my face at 100 MPH. I had a sheet of 4'X4'X .090 Lexan that came with the kit and built the windshield out of that. I've heard of others that have had the plexiglass windshields break on them also. I know the Lexan scratches easier, but I'm sticking with that. I just bought a 4'X8' X.090 Lexan from a local commercial window builder/installer for $75, and that will make 2 windshields for me. Actually I got a break on the price cause my son who is a construction superintendent works quite often with this guy and they help each other out when they can. Take care, Jim Chuk

I've had good luck stopping cracks with a heated paper clip or about .030 wire. Drilling didn't work. Next time I do windows, I am going to try polishing the heck out of the edges and over size holes, then annealing it with the lamps like you guys have been talking about. As of now, I have chemical resistant .090 lexan that has lasted more than a year with only some minor crazing on the wind shield and skylight (one piece) Doors have cracks around all the screw holes, but they seem to have started at the edge not the holes, so I am thinking the polishing and annealing might take care of that.

Posted (edited)

I've had good luck stopping cracks with a heated paper clip or about .030 wire. Drilling didn't work. Next time I do windows, I am going to try polishing the heck out of the edges and over size holes, then annealing it with the lamps like you guys have been talking about. As of now, I have chemical resistant .090 lexan that has lasted more than a year with only some minor crazing on the wind shield and skylight (one piece) Doors have cracks around all the screw holes, but they seem to have started at the edge not the holes, so I am thinking the polishing and annealing might take care of that.

I have used a small nail, held in pliers or vise-grip, heated red hot, and put into the end of the crack with a twisting motion - usually better than pressure from a drill. Dremel with small bit works good too.

Polished edges are a big plus - we polished them progressively with finer grit until we got to about 3000 in school.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I have used a small nail, held in pliers or vise-grip, heated red hot, and put into the end of the crack with a twisting motion - usually better than pressure from a drill. Dremel with small bit works good too.

Polished edges are a big plus - we polished them progressively with finer grit until we got to about 3000 in school.

ED in MO

The only thing I remember polishing in school ( :news: ) I would not have wanted to do, even with something as fine as 3000 :snack:

:BC:

Posted

The only thing I remember polishing in school ( :news:/> ) I would not have wanted to do, even with something as fine as 3000 :snack:/>

:BC:/>

I was a lot older when I went back to school - guess mine didnt need as much polishing as when I was young?

Oh, you mean something in a glass or bottle? I still have memories tho! :lol:

ED in MO

Posted

Finished my windshield this weekend and flew it today. It was still in three pieces and attached when I landed. Time will tell how long it will last. At least now it won't be so expensive to replace if I have to.

post-56-13557912567895_thumb.jpg

post-56-13557913020722_thumb.jpg

post-56-13557913220084_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Leni,

I can not see the pictures I attached, it said I did not have permission to veiw them.

Edited by Bandit

Posted

Leni,

I can not see the pictures I attached, it said I did not have permission to veiw them.

I see them. They are there.

BTW: New motor, new windshield, does that mean your coming over to see us soon, Mark?

Posted (edited)

Leni,

Sometimes when I look at pictures, or go to a reference outside of the site, I get signed out without knowing it - just have to sign back in again - Joey, this puter will not let me stay signed in like yours does - If I close without signing out, it does it for me - there is no place I can find for "keep me signed in" - I can handle it, as long as we dont have the big problem that Leni just fixed. I can see your pictures Bandit.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

Finished my windshield this weekend and flew it today. It was still in three pieces and attached when I landed. Time will tell how long it will last. At least now it won't be so expensive to replace if I have to.

Looks like you have the center support for your skylight riveted - is this standard? Does it need it?

My last 2 were not riveted there, and I added foam tape there. I dont like rivets in plexi - prefer bolts.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Bandit,

I just went in and looked at your settings and you should be OK If you still cant see them, let me know and I will try something else.

:BC:

Posted

I worked ith Plastics some in college, and the trick to blow molding or getting a good bend was to heat it evenly at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for an hour, then you could do what you want with it, 30 years later I still have a salad bowl I made by blow molding, I may have to build a big enough oven to do it but 3 or 4 heating coils and a thermostat out of an old oven and I am half way there.

Posted (edited)

I thought about running a 1" aluminum angle down from boot rib area to firewall/cowl and making 3 piece more or less flat windshield and sides - also flatter attachment at front cross tube and separate from skylight.  EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

It has been 5 years since I installed my 3 piece windshield and it is still holding up good. No problems at all. That is the longest I have ever gone without replacing one.

2 people like this