Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Maybe new Political category needed here

35 posts in this topic

Posted

That is true dictatorship coming from this administration and unfortunately NY state. On the other hand, we have some good news up here in AK; Mike Chenault (not sure if I spelled it right) is the R leader or the state senate, introduced a bill to make it a misdermeaner for any federal official to enforce any new gun control laws on a citizen in AK. We need to thank this guy and ask the other state reps to get behind this bill! Maybe this will spread to other sane states.

States can choose to nullify overreaching federal laws but they have to have the guts to do it. Although it is an odd comparison, WA and CO already set the precedence recently by their legalization of marijuana and Obama said "OK". Of course he may have been thinking about the whitehouse where legalities don't apply anyway.

Posted

ATF pushes bullet ban, threatens top-selling AR-15 rifle

By Paul Bedard | Washington Examiner

Published February 26, 2015

It’s starting.

As promised, President Obama is using executive actions to impose gun control on the nation, targeting the top-selling rifle in the country, the AR-15 style semi-automatic, with a ban on one of the most-used AR bullets by sportsmen and target shooters.

The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives this month revealed that it is proposing to put the ban on 5.56mm ammo on a fast track, immediately driving up the price of the bullets and prompting retailers, including the huge outdoors company Cabela’s, to urge sportsmen to urge Congress to stop the president.

RELATED: NRA steps up push for Sunday hunting 

Wednesday night, Rep. Bob Goodlatte, the Republican chairman of the House Judiciary Committee, stepped in with a critical letter to the bureau demanding it explain the surprise and abrupt bullet ban. 

The National Rifle Association, which is working with Goodlatte to gather co-signers, said that 30 House members have already co-signed the letter and Goodlatte and the NRA are hoping to get a total of 100 fast.

Posted

Did you notice the scarcity of 9mm ammo on the shelves a year or more ago - DHS bought more than the makers could produce, leaving citizens out of the market for them. Same old Democratic BS from Oh Bummer!

EDMO

Posted

The 5.56mm is supposed to be the military version of the round.

Winchester .223 is nearly the same. Most of the true AR15 rifles can shoot both.

Posted (edited)

I don't know which 5.56mm or .223 ammo (they are the same) they are talking about - probably all of it eventually - most of it has different weights and styles of bullets. I need to go buy some more.

Any of them will kill, but are not used by the gang-bangers who killed 160 people here in St. Louis last year. They mostly use 9mm and .45 auto stolen ammo in their stolen pistols.

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

At issue is the so-called “armor piercing ammunition†exemption. The Examiner reported:

The inexpensive 5.56 M885 ammo, commonly called green tips, have been exempt for years, as have higher caliber ammunition that also easily pierces the type of soft armor worn by police, because it’s mostly used by target shooters, not criminals.

But now BATFE says that since the bullets can be used in semi-automatic handguns they pose a threat to police and must be banned from production, sale and use. But, as Goodlatte noted, [the agency] offered no proof. Federal agencies will still be allowed to buy the ammo.

“This round is amongst the most commonly used in the most popular rifle design in America, the AR-15. Millions upon millions of M855 rounds have been sold and used in the U.S., yet ATF has not even alleged — much less offered evidence — that even one such round has ever been fired from a handgun at a police officer,†Goodlatte’s letter said.

Read more: http://www.bizpacreview.com/2015/02/26/obama-to-ban-bullets-via-executive-action-lawmakers-nra-scurry-to-stop-it-182777#ixzz3SugvMfTn

Posted (edited)

That's all BS - there was only one handgun that I can think of that would fire this ammo, and it was a single-shot, not semi-automatic.

My father was a gunsmith, and I have been a gunsmith most of my life, and I worked for Wild West Guns in Alaska, and have also been in Law Enforcement.

All 5.56/223 ammo and most pointed rifle cartridges will penetrate the soft vests anyway, but are not used in pistols.

Does Oh Bummer ever lie?

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I read part of an interview with a 17 year veteran of law enforcement and also a gun store owner. He said the hand guns that might use this round do not bother him. The weapon is so large it is easily seen. It is the small pocket handguns he is concerned with. The article also mentions that the government has not provided any factual data to support the claims. (imagine that) (note to barrack-hire better pr people)

http://m.washingtonexaminer.com/article/2560750

Someone say Christie?  :wasntme:

Posted

Me and the missus like to enjoy the .22 rifles....but have a real hard time getting .22LR. This has been going on for 3 years now. Nothing wrong with some target shooting competition....but cant even enjoy that. Last gun show in town sold out most all ammo by Saturday....anything in bulk was gone. Have heard that Wallyworld had .22 but you had to be there when the truck came in.....limit 3 boxes...of anything.

Posted (edited)

Me and the missus like to enjoy the .22 rifles....but have a real hard time getting .22LR. This has been going on for 3 years now. Nothing wrong with some target shooting competition....but cant even enjoy that. Last gun show in town sold out most all ammo by Saturday....anything in bulk was gone. Have heard that Wallyworld had .22 but you had to be there when the truck came in.....limit 3 boxes...of anything.

Must be a local rule - although I was told that .22LR was scarce here too - Wally just sold me 10 boxes of .223 - Wally sells handguns in Alaska, but not in Missouri - For a while, they did not even sell long guns here.

When I went thru Canada in '95, they let me have 5000 rounds of ammo - when I came back in 2007, the limit was 200 rounds - rules change like the weather!

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri