Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

"FOXY FLAPPER" FOTOS

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Here are some photos taken of changing Kitfox type controls to differential ailerons and separate flaps.  The angle of the front bellcrank attachment was changed from 90 degree original to aprox. 118 degrees - this gives a rough measured differential of about 25 degrees up aileron and 13 degrees down.  The right end of the torque tube was opened up so that the opposite control could be added for that side.  The wooden push-pull mockups will be replaced with proper length tubes and rod ends after ailerons are assembled to the wings.  The flaps have a separate simple push-pull control with detents on the manual lever, and this is not shown.   These controls replace the complete mixer assembly. 

Guess I better put the standard cliché here:  "Don't try this at home!"   EDMO

IMG_1634.JPG

IMG_1636 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1635.JPG

IMG_1637.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Here is what you need to put the wings on fairly easy.  I've put wings on a bunch of planes by myself using them.   The scary part is lifting them up on to the stands by your self and worrying about dropping one and messing it up.  Jim Chuk

post-329-0-19725700-1411699653_thumb.jpg

I used a panel lift (drywall lift) to hang my wings.

10 minutes of your life you will never get back: https://youtu.be/inHNNG1EDig

1 person likes this

Posted

Every time I see a sheetrock lift on craigslist for sale cheap, I want to get it.  Didn't plan to do any more sheetrocking though so I passed on it.  Now I have a good reason the next time I see one. This is a good idea!  Jim Chuk

Posted

I got the parts cut for the flaps and ailerons - Now got to get the hangers welded and powder coated - guess I will have to go back to work on Foxy soon.  EDMO

IMG_1670.JPG

3 people like this

Posted

I see you got two different spar size holes in there, Are you using the big tube for the flaps and sliding the small spar through the other to run your Ailrons? I'm sure you know this but Don't forget that the brackets that hold the smaller tube needs to be a bit longer before they get welded up,

Posted (edited)

I see you got two different spar size holes in there, Are you using the big tube for the flaps and sliding the small spar through the other to run your Ailrons? I'm sure you know this but Don't forget that the brackets that hold the smaller tube needs to be a bit longer before they get welded up,

Thanks TJay - You got a sharp eye - Yes, one tube goes thru the other, and the brackets for the aileron tube are about 1/4" longer than the ones for the larger flap tubes - note that one set of hangers have an extra hole in it so I can keep them separated when welding.  I also made one extra of both sizes, in case you counted more than 10.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

That will be a nice touch, I Should have done that to mine, Oh well maybe in a year or two Ill build a new set of wings for it, Or start a whole different bird. Nice work keep it up,

Edited by TJay

Posted

Hey on the first page your second picture you have a couple football shaped piece of metal welded on the bottom side of your front and rear spar carry throu, I am curious what its for?

Kind of fun to look at some new pics, ones that I have never seen before.

Posted

Glad so see you got those cut out. Just about warm enough to start working on it again. 

Posted (edited)

Hey on the first page your second picture you have a couple football shaped piece of metal welded on the bottom side of your front and rear spar carry throu, I am curious what its for?

Kind of fun to look at some new pics, ones that I have never seen before.

Dang TJay - You look too close!  Do you really expect me to admit that I screwed up TWICE with a cut-off grinder?  Ha!  Now I have to hope someone believes that those footballs are engineer-planned reinforcements!  ;<)  Maybe I should have welded the mirror bracket on the front one?   I think I better have you come down and inspect this bird before covering it.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

Ha I thought they were some engineer's idea for strength,

Posted

I got my flap and aileron hangers TIG welded and sandblasted and powder coated.  A Denco place near me gave me a price of blasting and powder coating a fuselage estimate of $500, about half the cost that I paid to get mine blasted and 2 coats of epoxy enamel.   EDMO

IMG_1673.JPG

Posted

Whoo Wee wish my welds looked like that,

Posted (edited)

Whoo Wee wish my welds looked like that,

Me too! - That's why I hire a welder!  The other side is just as good.   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted (edited)

Here is initial layout of parts for Right Hand Flap.  Like the old planes, it will be fabric covered and ribstitched.  EDMO

IMG_1675.JPG

Edited by EDMO

Posted

I like it ED, get that epoxy out,

Posted

I like it ED, get that epoxy out,

I am trying to figure out how to get that 45 degree inside corner like yours, and then the notching, scotching, and gluing will start - only 3 more to go after this one!   ;<)  EDMO

Posted (edited)

oh thats simple, Just take that number 1 rib and cut a 22 1/2 degree angle about 1inch behind the center spar, then glue them back together and put a nice wood gusset on the inside of the bend, Or cut one out of 1/16 inch aluminum and bend it,

Edited by TJay
1 person likes this

Posted

oh thats simple, Just take that number 1 rib and cut a 22 1/2 degree angle about 1inch behind the center spar, then glue them back together and put a nice wood gusset on the inside of the bend,

That's about what I planned, but maybe a little shorter 45, along with another brace between the tip and the next rib at spar junction.  Thanks,  Ed

Posted

oh thats simple, Just take that number 1 rib and cut a 22 1/2 degree angle about 1inch behind the center spar, then glue them back together and put a nice wood gusset on the inside of the bend,

That's about what I planned, but maybe a little shorter 45, along with another brace between the tip and the next rib at spar junction.  Thanks,  Ed

I added some to my above post, another idea

Posted

I added some to my above post, another idea

I got the added - thought of that too - may have to make a longer rib end to make up difference in length the 45 makes so I can keep trailing edge straight - nothing is simple when designing!  :BC:  EDMO

Posted (edited)

I got one 15" chord flap finished except for final sanding before heater quit.  3/4" aluminum tube for leading edge.  1.5" Pivot Tube at turtledeck end was left long and will be cut when needed and lever added.  The other two red hangers go on outside of each end.  Plywood braces on each end.  Got the 45 degrees on that root end.  Thanks to TJay.  EDMO

IMG_1677.JPG

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted

Hey nice work, I like it

Posted

looks good mr!

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Got my 6 foot long right aileron assembled except for end braces and waiting for glue to dry on pivot tube.  I had to add a 2 foot extension to my 12 foot pivot tube but will cut part of that off at the root end on assembly to plane.  The black leading edge tube is steel instead of aluminum like the flap.  Before gluing my pivot tube I put the aileron on a small tube for balance checking and the leading edge pointed straight down, so it looks like it has plenty of counter-balance weight in front.  Should get both end braces on it tomorrow and hang it when glue on them is dry.   Left side still to be made.   Between the 15" flaps and ailerons and 4" Leading Edge Extensions I have added about 30 sf to modified Kitfox 4 wing area.  EDMO

RT AILERON.JPG

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this