Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Just joined the Fat Avid Club

233 posts in this topic

Posted

Tonight I am supposed to get (borrow) a MKIV cowl bottom to see if it will mate up with the Fat Avid Cowl top I have. I will report back tomorrow with a picture or two. Luke this may have an impact on whether I will need your cowl set or not.

And to make sure, Luke the cowl set in the pictures was made to fit a MKIV airframe?

Posted

I can't say with 100% certainty that it was made to fit a MKIV. That is my understanding though. The guy I bought the plane from got it from another guy that was going to build the plane with an O-200. The first guy had purchased this cowl to use for this purpose (MKIV with O-200). That's all I know  :wacko:

Posted

Luke and Ed-

I was able to verify that a MKIV cheek radiator type cowl bottom will indeed work with the Fat Avid cowl top that I have. So Luke my direction has changed and I will not need your cowl set. Therefore you and Ed can work something out. Many thanks for the offer though Luke. It was greatly appreciated! 

I think I have a lead on a MKIV cowl bottom too, so hopefully everything will work out.

Posted

No problem Chris. I'm glad you found a solution. Can we expect some updates on your build thread  :P

Ed, I'd be happy to give you the cowl if we could figure out an easy way to get it to you.

Posted (edited)

Thats good news Chris ,im glad you finally have a cowl option so I can stop feeling bad for you giving me the kifox cowl ,hopefully you get it flying soon

Edited by Marshawk

Posted (edited)

Chris,

Maybe you can give me and Luke some info on how to ship a cowl by Greyhound or cheapest way?

BTW:  Hoping to have some photos of my Grove tri-gear to post soon.

Thanx,

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I shipped a cowl by greyhound before, but honestly don't remember what I did! Must be getting old :-)  I would call Greyhound and ask what they need. If it has to be boxed or not. It is VERY reasonable to send by Greyhound!

Posted

I borrowed a MKIV cowl bottom from a friend and it matches the Fat Avid cowl top at the prop and air inlets. It also spreads very easily to accommodate the wider fuselage. It was a bit short but I think it will be easy to add some material to the sides.  So...I ordered a MKIV Cowl bottom from Ron Smith at AllPro Fiberglass, the guy who has the molds for a bunch of Avid fiberglass parts. Hopefully he is working on it this week! Will report back on how it all works out.

Posted

Chris, I am not sure how much shipping will be, but if Ron does not get it to you pretty quick, I have a new MKIV cowling that I would shoot your way if you need it.  If has a couple dings from hangar rash, but it is in the raw so it would be easy match up for you I think.

:BC:

Posted

Crap I wish I would have known. Ida had you ship it to me!

Oh well....I think Ron is talking in the $150?? range to make the bottom and plans to ship greyhound so it should be real reasonable. Even if I am off on the price by a factor of 2 it is still not too bad. I believe Jim Chuck said he is paying like $350 for a complete jab cowl top and bottom.

Posted

Thats a pretty damn good price, I am sure shipping from here would be more than that.  If Ron falls through, let me know and we can figure something out on shipping for ya.

Posted

My new cowl arrived from All-Pro Fiberglass. Ron Smith did a great job on it. He didn't trim a thing so there is raw fiberglass thread hanging everywhere around the edges. It looks looks great! I am so happy. Price for the MKIV cowl bottom, huge shipping box for it and Greyhound shipping to our local bus station was just under $200.00! I am blown away.

So now that I have seen first hand that he is real and SUPER reasonable price wise, here is a big plug for him!

He has Jab cowl molds, MKIV cowl and fiberglass molds and all Magnum fiberglass parts. If you need Avid fiberglass he is your man!

I forget what other thread was being discussed on, but Im posting here because this means I can get back to work on the Flat Avid!

Chris

Posted

Awesome news!  I think we are slowly pulling together some good info on where we can get parts.  Several members here are making some parts here and there that are for sale (toe brakes, F7A refit etc)  one day, we may be able to reliably be able to order the parts needed to fix our planes when they get ooopsied..

The clock is ticking now Chris, progress pictures and flight report in 3...2 3/4... 2 1/2...... 2 1/4....... :lol:

Posted

ChrisB do you have the contact information for Ron Smith at All-Pro Fiberglass, I have an early model cowl that has been butchered pretty bad and would like to replace it with a Model IV.I thought about trying a Kitfox cowl, but they are at $900 plus shipping.

Posted

Trackwelder,

I Posted contact info for All Pro Composites in Avid Kitfox parts suppliers forum so it wont end up buried in this thread.

Chris

Posted

Just ordered the spinner for the prop I plan to run on the Flat Avid. Going to run the same three blade 70 inch Whirlwind that Kitfox is running on their 912's. Whirlwind has bith 9 and 9 3/4 inch diameter spinners. The 9 inch won't work on the three blade unfortunately, so the spinner will be the tiniest amount too large, but I think it will not be too noticable. I am as far on fitting the cowl as I can go without the spinner. Hope it gets here soon! Will post a pic or two of the cowl fit when the spinner gets here.

Posted

Sweet! It's only been 2 years getting her this close to back in the air.. keep at it mr!

Posted

I have obtained a Fat Avid top cowl section, a Fat Avid dash cap and a MKIV cowl bottom and am attempting to fit it all together as a two piece setup like the original MKIV, not as a boot cowl setup. Has anyone set their fat avid up like this? If so would you take a few pics and share? I seem to be having some fit issues with the dash cap, windscreen and cowl top.

Posted

A photo of current cowl work. It's going so slowly I am embarrased to even post, but I am making some progress.

post-258-0-92405300-1428625957_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Chris,

What cowl is that? Looks good - may have to get one!

Love that front Parking Wheel too! It keeps the coffee in the cockpit level!

I wonder if we put an electric motor on that front wheel if we could get flying speed faster - Maybe burn some rubber - Taxi to the gas pumps and let everyone wonder why the prop isn't turning? :lol:

EDMO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

post-258-0-49274400-1439225484_thumb.jpgDoing fiberglass work on the cowl. much progress since the picture above even though it doesn't look like it. Fiberglass, sand, fiberglass, sand, microballoon fill, sand and sand and sand. Camlocs next then firewall.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Looking like good progress Chris - Keep posting - Tell me again what cowl that is, how far from firewall to prop hub? - please.

EdMo

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Ed, it is a MKIV cowl bottom from the guy in Montana that has the molds. He made it for me for a fantastic price. His info is somewhere earlier in this thread. The top is custom to the Fat Avid I think. It was obtained from Brett when he was still around. It did not fit my friend's Fat Avid, so Brett sent him one that was a bit longer at the windshield that did fit. I got this one from my friend and just extended the sides a couple inches as you can see in the photo. It matches the MKIV cowl pretty well in the front. I do not know who made it or who has the mold. I am combining the two. Hence all of the glass work to make the MKIV bottom fit the Fat Avid, and match the top and bottom.

Posted

Distance from firewall to prop hub is same as original MKIV. Will try and remember to measure to give you dimension tonight.

Posted (edited)

Chris,

The reason I was asking was because Kitfox made different cowls for different engines - Wondered about Avid, and what the different lengths firewall to prop were.  Wondering how the 582, 912, and other engine setup lengths compare to my EA-81...

EdMO

BTW:   I found a company, Georgia Equipment Co., that sells angled steel tailwheel forks for brushhogs, hayrakes, etc., that look like they would make good nose forks - Brushhog tailwheels take a real beating.

They come in both 1.25 and 1.50 inch diameter pivot tube --

Don't know what size tire they take, maybe a 15" 600x6, but could always modify that. 

Dang, just a little too late for this one - ( $35 - $45 ) - might have saved some money!

post-399-0-95150800-1439313856.jpg

post-399-0-89956000-1439317602.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri