Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

NEXT QUESTION - WHAT'S A 670?

15 posts in this topic

Posted

JUST furthering the education of one who dont speak Rotax - any info on any engine is appreciated.

My first engine ran on dinosauer farts! :lol:

ED in MO

Posted

I just purchased one from Rotax Rick in Florida, it is basically a 582 with bigger bearings in the crank, a 670 case from a SkiDoo snowmachine. It has 582 heads and dual ignition from the 582, rave valves on the cylinders, same water system as the 582 blue head and the crank is milled to fit the gear box. With stock 582 exhaust it will yield about 65 to 66HP and with the tuned exhaust he says about 86hp. I will find out when I get mine in the air, I have the tuned exhaust and hope that it lives up to its reputation.

Posted

Ole any update on the 670 project?

Posted

I'm very interested in this also.  I've been trying to contact someone who has purchased the 670

Posted

I have stalled on the installation because work has me away from home this year. Hope that this fall eases up on me and I can get it completed. I do know the exhaust system is going to be a challenge being a much bigger pipe than the 582 was. I am also going real experimental by working on a front canard similar to the Peterson Katamei. I hope to be able to decrease the angle of attack on approaches and decrease the stall speed considerably. I have the drawing done and trying to find some with a cnc router to cut out the ribs from carbon fiber and slim plywood composite. I have the wide gear from Airdale and will be putting on Airstreak and Grove wheels and brakes. Just can't get away from work long enough to get anything done. Oilfield has me hostage.

1 person likes this

Posted

Boy do I know that feeling.. I have spent 73% of the year at work.. My time at home has not seen me doing the mods I wanted to get done, just playing as much as I can with the plane the way it is :lol:

Hope you get some time in the near future to get it up and flying.

:BC:

Posted

Ole, are you working up here in good ole ND?

Posted

I have stalled on the installation because work has me away from home this year. Hope that this fall eases up on me and I can get it completed. I do know the exhaust system is going to be a challenge being a much bigger pipe than the 582 was. I am also going real experimental by working on a front canard similar to the Peterson Katamei. I hope to be able to decrease the angle of attack on approaches and decrease the stall speed considerably. I have the drawing done and trying to find some with a cnc router to cut out the ribs from carbon fiber and slim plywood composite. I have the wide gear from Airdale and will be putting on Airstreak and Grove wheels and brakes. Just can't get away from work long enough to get anything done. Oilfield has me hostage.

Out of curiosity, would these canards be adjustable in some way?  Rigged to work with the elevator/flaperons or are they fixed?  This is an interesting idea if you have a nosewheel bird.

Also, let me know what you think about the 670.  Your the first I know to actually bite the bullet and buy one.   

Posted

I would be interested in hearing more about these canards - canards are a different "kettle of fish" and have their own drawbacks - If you want to fly like a Stearman, why not just make it a Biplane?

EDMO

Posted

Yea I am around Dickinson, have been here for about two years in this area. Doesn't seem to be an end to it yet, just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Time off has been getting smaller and smaller too, but cant complain about the money.

Ole, are you working up here in good ole ND?

Posted

I have the drawings done and they will have a moveable elevator. It will have a small travel distance but the response will be significant. If you ever have seen what Peterson does with a 182 at about 35 knots you will be impressed. I am using the same or similar design and will mount on a strut under the engine and mounted to the top motor mounts. Everything will be carbon fiber with aluminum skin attached over it. Very light  and wont add much for weight ahead of the center of gravity. It does take a huge load off the tail though.

Out of curiosity, would these canards be adjustable in some way?  Rigged to work with the elevator/flaperons or are they fixed?  This is an interesting idea if you have a nosewheel bird.

Also, let me know what you think about the 670.  Your the first I know to actually bite the bullet and buy one.   

Posted

If you haven't seen my post on the 670 going into a avid go to the tech section and see what I did to install the 670 and tuned pipe.

Marv

Posted

There's always lots of excitement about 670s and before that 618 motors. To the guys trying this again and again, I wish good luck.

The story, almost always, ends the same. The super human power and performance is breathtaking, but the constant fiddling and tweaking never stops. Then one day they realize that they have a great performer 50% of the time and a project that needs work the other 50%. I've seen this in my group of flyers, several times now. Not one of those planes is still flying with the big motor, or flying at all any more. They have moved on to 912 motors, different planes or different hobbies all together.

Personally, I think Leni is on the right track with a fuel injected motor to solve a lot of the reliability issues. Maybe he's out on a limb with the idea of an Arctic Cat motor, but that's another conversation.

Posted

Once we got the cooling problem solved we have not run into anymore issue's.

Next I'm going to put the RK-400 clutch on the 670.

Posted

I remember when I first put the 604 ci engine into my Duster I ran into one problem after another.

It is just solving problems that are there because of going a different route than is the easy one and not giving up.

It's just about not giving up.

1 person likes this