Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Wing inspection plates

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Do you know if wing inspection holes are required on an AVID Flyer to get the certificate of airworthiness? :dunno:

Posted

Do you know if wing inspection holes are required on an AVID Flyer to get the certificate of airworthiness? :dunno:/>

On four different Avids I've owned, the reinforcement rings were installed, but the center fabric wasn't cut out. I doubt that they are required, it's an experimental airplane, and you can kindof do whatever you want. If you ever have a mouse build a nest in the wing and you want a way to get all the seeds and stuff they carted into the wing out, the inspection holes will come in handy. Cut out the center fabric, and put an aluminum cover over it. Actually if you have a few of them and paint them with the rest of the aluminum parts, they will match if you ever have to use them. I actually put in a few extra rings so if I ever had to change the pitot hose, I could. Little bit of extra work now could save a lot later. Take care, Jim Chuk

Posted

The rings are 50 cents a piece. I put one out in the tip and another by the strut attach points. I went through 3 conditional inspections with an A&P I was paying with the fabric still on them and he didn't say anything. I opened them up this year and used a mirror on a stick and an LED flashlight to look around. What do you know it looked exactly the same as when I covered the wings :blink:

Posted (edited)

The rings are 50 cents a piece. I put one out in the tip and another by the strut attach points. I went through 3 conditional inspections with an A&P I was paying with the fabric still on them and he didn't say anything. I opened them up this year and used a mirror on a stick and an LED flashlight to look around. What do you know it looked exactly the same as when I covered the wings :blink:/>/>/>

I am still a little confused about what to expect when I finally get the DAR to do my inspection. It has been said several times on this forum that "experimental" means I can do what I want to. What is the DAR going to look for then other than the correct markings, ie 2" experimental, passenger notice, 3" n numbers, data plate on tail, etc.

Edited by Avid Heavy

Posted

I am still a little confused about what to expect when I finally get the DAR to do my inspection. It has been said several times on this forum that "experimental" means I can do what I want to. What is the DAR going to look for then other than the correct markings, ie 2" experimental, passenger notice, 3" n numbers, data plate on tail, etc.

I would ask the DAR. One may be a real stickler on things, and another one may say to himself: You have 40 hrs. of phase 1 time before you risk anyone else. If you're willing to risk your own life, who am I to argue. No doubt, those are the extremes, especially the last one, I'm sure they have guidelines they follow, but I recently heard of a DAR that wouldn't do the inspection because the plane didn't have an ELT in it. I thought that was kind of bougus as there are a number of exemptions to the requirement for an ELT and I think the phase 1 test period would fit into one of those exemptions. It would be good to have a working relationship with the DAR well before the plane is ready for inspection. Take care, Jim Chuk

Posted (edited)

I look at the DAR or one of the EAA Technical Advisors as my "Safety Man", who might spot something that I had overlooked that might get me into deep doo-doo once in the air. Anytime you can get a second pair of eyes on your bird, you are better off. He may look for possible future troubles, or for unsuitable fittings, etc., maybe a cable that is going to grind away at my engine mount tube? There have been cases where the builder did not notice that his aileron controls were reversed!

You are better served if the inspector is one who is really familiar with your type of plane, since it is far different than the spam cans with certified engines.

The inspection rings are there for later inspections or repairs if you need them. I will put in more than I think I will need. No need to cut the fabric and plate until used. There are places where a clear Lexan plate might be installed for a frequent means to check something that could be critical and the longivity is questionable.

The ELT is not required in Phase 1 - Only when you can carry a passenger. Single-place planes do not require them, although I would want one from the time of first flight - it could save your life.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted (edited)

For my Airworthiness Inspection it was a check that all the required placarding was there on the plane and instruments, that the instruments all worked, the registration was in place and correct (be sure all of your FAA paperwork is completed), the N number was correct, the warning signs were in place, the dataplate was correct, all of the controls worked properly without binding, all of the hinges and pins and bolts were in place and safetied, etc, the the radio and ELT worked (but as said, the ELT is not required under certain circumstances; one of which is staying within a 50 mile radius of your home airport), all the lights and beacon work, the fuel and electrical systems look like they are well laid out, and safe, the engine fired up and ran smoothly, all of the wiring and fuel lines were well secured and protected from wear, the seat belts were solid and adequately secured, sometimes the DAR wants to know if your seats and seat belts were purchased from an aircraft parts supplier (even if they are not specifically made for aircraft). The DAR probably has a feel for how carefully and safely the work was done when he looks at the overall condition of the plane. He cannot see and inspect everything but he will check off the "required to have" items and look at other things for safety of construction (in my experience).

The airplane should have everything in place and ready to fly so get it to that point with nothing left to do as far as you know. I had done quite a few full power runups and taxi tests by the time I had my inspection, but I had been flying an Avid for several hundred hours by then and felt pretty comfortable doing that. Be careful to heed the warnings about doing high speed taxi tests in these plane though! There were about 3 things that the DAR asked me to change, primarily adding some placards, bolt lengths and lock nuts, etc. I was able to do the first test flight that same afternoon.

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

when trying to decide where to put and how many inspection rings I wanted on my wings one thing I used to determine was that its easier to wish you hadn't "wasted time/resources" installing them than to wish you had installed them later. I started with the few I knew I wanted ie. wing tip for light access, then when it was all done I had one in every bay staggered from front to back. too much... probably, but if I ever need one there is probably one that will work, and if not I probably made a big oops anyways and will not be worrying about inspection rings. for what they cost and weight its not going to decrease performance any and I had all of them installed in just a couple hours. just my .02 cents

-Robert-

Edit: if you center them with the holes in the rib web you can reach across to the adjacent bays from each hole.

post-352-13583514518085_thumb.jpg

Edited by High Country

Posted

I put in the rings but never cut them out. My thoughts were... what could fail that I need to get in there and fix. The strut attach points, the drag link attach points, the area behind the pitot tube etc. If there was a mechanical attachment in the wing, I put a ring over the area in case of need in the future. All that being said, there is no requirement I know of to have a single one in the wing but it will make future possible repairs easier, cleaner and quicker to do.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

I put in the rings but never cut them out. My thoughts were... what could fail that I need to get in there and fix. The strut attach points, the drag link attach points, the area behind the pitot tube etc. If there was a mechanical attachment in the wing, I put a ring over the area in case of need in the future. All that being said, there is no requirement I know of to have a single one in the wing but it will make future possible repairs easier, cleaner and quicker to do.

:BC:/>/>

An AD was issued years ago on the Ercoupe - Added something like 32, 4 inch inspection covers under wings - even in metal wings - my IA wanted a deviance to just do 1" holes borescope the metal wings - FAA said "NO - cut the big holes and inspect". End of story.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri