Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

FUEL MIXTURES and CRANKCASE OIL- 4 CYCLE

15 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

FOR the 4 cycle drivers FUEL TANKS: We used to mix 1 gal of 100LL (which contains 4 times the lead of the old 87) with 3 gallons of mogas and added 2 ounces of Marvel Mystery oil to each 4 gal mix. This cuts down the amount of lead in your plugs and in your oil.

The newer, and I think better, method is to use 2 cycle full synthetic oil in place of the MM oil because the 2cycle oil dont burn up like the MM oil and does a better job of lubing the valves and exhausts. It must be FULL synthetic to work according to my source. This might also help protect your FG tanks?

FOR THE CRANKCASE: The guy who built our C-90 also builds aircraft racing engines: He says they use only

Valvoline Motorcycle 4-cycle 20-50 because it is the only oil that contains ZINK (zinc?) and will lube valves better.

Thats my 2 cents worth of thoughts for today.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Your buddies right about the Zinc not being in our oils anymore.Thats what keeps camshafts from going flat when breaking in a new automobile engine.Shell Rotella supposedly still has zinc but dont know for how long.Marvel mystery oil is good stuff.We mix one gallon of mineral spirits to 1/4 cup of Marvel,paint it on our drag tires and it softens them up and makes for better traction.It also can be used on old car tires that have dried out.We use Valvoline race oil for our drag motors,lots of zinc in it.I friend told me if a can of oil doesnt have the energy conserving logo on it then it probably still has zinc........Randy

Posted (edited)

Your buddies right about the Zinc not being in our oils anymore.Thats what keeps camshafts from going flat when breaking in a new automobile engine.Shell Rotella supposedly still has zinc but dont know for how long.Marvel mystery oil is good stuff.We mix one gallon of mineral spirits to 1/4 cup of Marvel,paint it on our drag tires and it softens them up and makes for better traction.It also can be used on old car tires that have dried out.We use Valvoline race oil for our drag motors,lots of zinc in it.I friend told me if a can of oil doesnt have the energy conserving logo on it then it probably still has zinc........Randy

According to my racing source, and I have no other info - The Motorcycle oil I listed above is the ONLY ONE with Zinc in it now. He says MM oil burns with the gas, so doesnt lube the exhaust valves and exhaust like the "non-burnable" synthetic 2-cycle oil????/>?

I'm just an old machinist - Love the smell of hot black sulpher cutting oil. :lol:

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

According to my racing source, and I have no other info - The Motorcycle oil I listed above is the ONLY ONE with Zinc in it now. He says MM oil burns with the gas, so doesnt lube the exhaust valves and exhaust like the "non-burnable" synthetic 2-cycle oil????/>/>?

I'm just an old machinist - Love the smell of hot black sulpher cutting oil. :lol:/>

ED in MO

In reguard to the Marvel Mystery Oil, if you wonder what it contains, this may tell you. Google MMO NTSB and then look at the first listing. According to the NTSB accident report, MMO is 3/4 mineral oil, stoddards solvent, and 1 percent lard. Not sure that it's true, but it is kind of interesting..... Take care, Jim Chuk

Posted

I've been mixing a couple of ounces of 2-cycle oil per 5 gal in mine just to try to protect the tanks in case I get some alcohol gas but I haven't been using synthetic. Not sure if it does any good but it doesn't seem to hurt.

I know the MMO definately softens rubber; I thought I would use a bit of it on my Ford diesel just to try to keep the injectors lubed. It ate up my recirc lines that I had just replaced in 1 year. It probably keeps things real clean but made me think twice about putting it in my gas tank ir anything with rubber fuel system parts. I have heard it is great to keep valves from sticking or to loosen stuck valves in aircraft motors though.

Posted

2 stroke oil burns VERY well... I use it all the time to start bonfires. Yes, after a few drinks I have even used the high dollar full synthetic oil to start fires. Was kinda pissed at myself the next morning for doing it, but oh well, there were worse things I did those nights to be mad about :lol:

The 2 stroke probably mixes better with the gas than the 4 stroke oil, but it does burn just as well as the 4 stroke oil on a fire.

:BC:

Posted

2 stroke oil burns VERY well... I use it all the time to start bonfires. Yes, after a few drinks I have even used the high dollar full synthetic oil to start fires. Was kinda pissed at myself the next morning for doing it, but oh well, there were worse things I did those nights to be mad about :lol:/>

The 2 stroke probably mixes better with the gas than the 4 stroke oil, but it does burn just as well as the 4 stroke oil on a fire.

:BC:/>

Then how does the 2 stroke engine get any lubrication if the oil burns up???

OLD 4-Stroke ED

Posted

Then how does the 2 stroke engine get any lubrication if the oil burns up???

OLD 4-Stroke ED

it lubricates it on the way through the engine then burns up in the big fire on top of the piston after it has done its useful lubricating. If it didn't burn up, there would be oil pouring out the pipe and the plugs would be fouled in a matter of minutes.

Posted

it lubricates it on the way through the engine then burns up in the big fire on top of the piston after it has done its useful lubricating. If it didn't burn up, there would be oil pouring out the pipe and the plugs would be fouled in a matter of minutes.

Didnt figure there was that much oil in the gas mix?

Going to tell my source to try your burn test - Maybe go back to MM oil.

Thanks,

ED in MO

Posted

My flying buddy just called me - He said he saw a demo at Oshkosh where they put MM oil on a railroad track, and the Synthetic 2 cycle on another part of it - took a torch to both sides, and when it cooled, the MM had burned away, and the 2C side was still slick.

Mean something? I donno......

ED in MO

Posted

My flying buddy just called me - He said he saw a demo at Oshkosh where they put MM oil on a railroad track, and the Synthetic 2 cycle on another part of it - took a torch to both sides, and when it cooled, the MM had burned away, and the 2C side was still slick.

Mean something? I donno......

ED in MO

MMO has alot of solvent in it, I am sure it does burn more. 2 stroke does burn fine, but it probably does leave a bit of residue as it should. It is a petroleum product, it pretty much has to burn :lol:

Posted

MMO has alot of solvent in it, I am sure it does burn more. 2 stroke does burn fine, but it probably does leave a bit of residue as it should. It is a petroleum product, it pretty much has to burn :lol:/>

So...........Now do we say the 2-cycle Synthetic is better than MM to put in your gas for the 4-strokes?

Is it worth the difference in cost?

ED in MO

Posted

I'm at a loss here.

Why put anything in the gas on a 4-stroke? You're going to be running a Subaru auto motor, right? Does Subaru recommend certain fuel additives?

Posted (edited)

I'm at a loss here.

Why put anything in the gas on a 4-stroke? You're going to be running a Subaru auto motor, right? Does Subaru recommend certain fuel additives?

I was referring to what we did to lower the lead content of 100LL, which has 4 times the lead in it as the old 87 for the aircraft type engines, by mixing it with mogas, which was a lot cheaper back then - and the oil added to the gas to help lube the valves might also protect the FG tanks a little bit from alcohol.

My Soob will do just fine on straight mogas.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Larry,

I think that is the nuts and bolts of it. Several guys have stated that with their own testing, they have found that by mixing some 2 stroke oil in the gas it does not eat up the tanks that were pre-moonshine proof tank days (the older resins). The debate on MMO in the gas to help keep valves from sticking etc gets about as controversial as the infamous "down wind turn stall spin scenario" Every one has their own ideas on it and of course, each one thinks that only their opinion counts :lol: