Ivo prop constant speed

10 posts in this topic

Posted

Hello Forum

I have been very pleased with my IVO inflight adjustable prop on my 582 powered Kitfox.

I was considering the IVO constant speed option which costs $320. that electrically controls the prop speed.

Has any one had experience with this device?

Since 2 strokes easily change RPM with slight pitch changes I feel a constant speed would be great.

Thanks Herman

Posted

Hello Forum

I have been very pleased with my IVO inflight adjustable prop on my 582 powered Kitfox.

I was considering the IVO constant speed option which costs $320. that electrically controls the prop speed.

Has any one had experience with this device?

Since 2 strokes easily change RPM with slight pitch changes I feel a constant speed would be great.

Thanks Herman

Let me know how it works out! I was thinking about springing for a CS module, but as much as it will be changing the pitch, I dont see the electric motors lasting very long. I have gone through 4 already and at 95 bucks a pop they are getting spendy.

:BC:

Posted

I'm still having fun tweaking with mine manually while I fly. Can you turn the CS function on and off so you can take off and land with the prop on manual?

After sending my electric motor back twice to get fixed then replaced, I would have the same concerns as Leni. The RPM of the Subi is rock solid compared to the 582 in cruise though, no matter how much the wind in banging you around.

Posted

Leni and Randy,

Chris Bolkan posted a mod on the yahoo site about adopting an electric drill motor b/c of the problems y'all arre having

It's posted in the files section. Bryce

Posted

What is it in the motors that is breaking? The duty cycle of them is low enough that they should last if well built and matched to the load. The actuator motor in an autopilot will easily last 2000 hours of constant motion and that is the old brushed versions. The new stepper motor versions - I have no idea how long; basically limited by the life of the bearings.

Sounds like IVO needs to do some re-engineering.

Posted

What is it in the motors that is breaking? The duty cycle of them is low enough that they should last if well built and matched to the load. The actuator motor in an autopilot will easily last 2000 hours of constant motion and that is the old brushed versions. The new stepper motor versions - I have no idea how long; basically limited by the life of the bearings.

Sounds like IVO needs to do some re-engineering.

In the 3 that have been replaced on mine it is due to the windings breaking at a solder joint. This last one I have been fixing it myself about every 40 hrs or so. I have no idea where they get the pricing from as I can order this motor (Johnson motor part number) for less than 5 bucks each... if I buy 150 of them at a time :lol: I am sure IVO gets them bulk them rapes the heck out of us on the charges.

I will dig up ChrisB's post on the drill motor mod. and check it out.

I love my IVO and never want to be without it due to the performance increases I have seen, especially on floats so I will keep fighting the issues as they come up, I just wish they could find a better motor to use that will take the constant vibration better.

:BC:

Posted

In the 3 that have been replaced on mine it is due to the windings breaking at a solder joint. This last one I have been fixing it myself about every 40 hrs or so. I have no idea where they get the pricing from as I can order this motor (Johnson motor part number) for less than 5 bucks each... if I buy 150 of them at a time :lol:/> I am sure IVO gets them bulk them rapes the heck out of us on the charges.

I will dig up ChrisB's post on the drill motor mod. and check it out.

I love my IVO and never want to be without it due to the performance increases I have seen, especially on floats so I will keep fighting the issues as they come up, I just wish they could find a better motor to use that will take the constant vibration better.

:BC:/>

Hi!

I did a lot of stuff with the IVO IFA with polyswitches and the like, but not a drill motor mod. That is someone else. I'm interested it it when you find out though, because I would love to put an IVO IFA or a GSC IFA on this 912s, and the motor reliability was always a problem!

ChrisB

Posted

I echo Leni's sentiments about the IVO IFA performance that makes it well worth the hassle of the motor issues. I would never have thought it possible to make such a change in my airplane and kind of bought mine on a whim because I hadn't done anything to my plane for a while (I can never just leave it alone). It out performed my highest expectations; most notably initially on the top end adding 15 mph in cruise; but them when I took it off for the first motor issue and put my Warp Drive back on until I got the motor back I really noticed the difference on the takeoff with two on board. I can get another 600 rpm on the bottom with the prop flattened out. I think I got a little less than 30 hours on the motor the first time and it bound up. I sent it back and they didn't replace it but said they got it working and to try it again. It lasted about another 30 hours and did the same thing. When I sent it back that time I think they replaced it. It has been going good since then but I would have to check my log book to see how many hours; I'm guessing another 30 or 40. Maybe the lower frequency vibration of hte Subie will prove to provide a better life expectancy from the motor; I would think the vibration of the 912 would be somewhere in between the Subie and the 582 but there are a lot of variables with the belt vs gear redrive and the rubber donut. From what I have read, you don't want to use one on a direct drive motor.

Chris, What have you heard/experienced with them on the 912?

So far both IVO and Warp Drive have been excellent to work with. I exchanged a used 2 blade Warp Drive with light duty hub for a 3 blade HD hub prop; then sent back that hub (SAE2) and exchanged it for an SAE1. They were very helpful and fair and the hub exchange was no charge. IVO repaired/replaced the motor both times without hassle and no charge. These guys both have been great.

I think the Warp will take more abuse than the IVO if you are cutting brush or doing nose stands with it (it is very tough from my experience) but the IVO IFA has the performance edge.

JackAk is going to try the whirlwind blades in his Warp Drive hub so that will be a great comparison to see how they perform!

Posted

JackAk is going to try the whirlwind blades in his Warp Drive hub so that will be a great comparison to see how they perform!

I am hoping we get a good report on this mod, since I am planning the same for my Soob.

ED in MO

Posted

I thought I had jynxed myself today talking about the prop motor when I took off and couldn't get my prop to change pitch. It turned out to be one of my brushes had got hung up and the spring wasn't pushing it against the slip ring like it should. It might have gotten a little moisture in the brush track and froze. After landing and messing with it for a while it worked fine again.