Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Experimental Amateur-Built "gross weight" myth. (work in progress)

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Leni...,

This is my point exactly. When it is said... "I as the MANUFACTURE of the aircraft can put any damn number I want on it for a gross weight".....where IS it "put down"? It isn't.

As you started correctly, it is not on, and as I say, is not required to be on, ANY paperwork submitted to, or on file with, the FAA.

And... it isn't required on the weight and balance information submitted in the application and inspection process. Nor is it required on the aircraft Data Plate.

It is not specified in (my) the operating limitations either. (pre 1999) 

Note:  Only since 1999 have you been required to show flight testing info to be included in the Operating Limitations, specifically Vx, speed for best angle of climb, and Vy, speed for best rate of climb. There you must state the weight at which the numbers were determined nothing more...nothing less.

Here is a quote from someone who seems to know the score....

"(For example, despite published specs, our homebuilts have no specified gross-weight or CG limits. You "experiment" by loading fore or aft until you run out of necessary elevator and/or stability, and you add poundage until you run out of climb. If your airplane proves capable of operating at twice the published gross--due to the superiority of your workmanship, let's assume--be happy. Go fly.)

http://www.seqair.com/Hangar/Wilkinson/BAFV/BAFV2.html

Hey!!! Here's a thought.....  This is why the Sport Pilot rule defines the weight limit as "Maximum Takeoff Weight"....because not all aircraft eligible for use by Sport Pilots have a mandatory FAA  "Gross Weight"

.... And, as we all should know by now, the definition of "Maximum Takeoff Weight", as it applies to Sport PilotLSA issues IS included in the "Final Rule" Federal Register / Vol. 69, No. 143 / Tuesday, July 27, 2004 / Rules and Regulations 44793

"Some commenters stated that lacking

a definition of maximum takeoff weight,

aircraft with fairly high performance

characteristics could meet the definition

of light-sport aircraft by limiting the

approved weight and payload of the

airplane. The FAA considers this a valid

concern and has provided some

additional constraints on the weight as

detailed below. The maximum weight of

a light-sport aircraft is the sum of:

(1) Aircraft empty weight;

(2) Weight of the passenger for each

seat installed;

(3) Baggage allowance for each

passenger; and

(4) Full fuel, including a minimum of

the half-hour fuel reserve required for

day visual flight rules in § 91.151(a)(1).

http://www.aopa.org/whatsnew/regulatory/sport_rule.pdf

To be continued....... Comments welcome, and encouraged. Pros and Con. 

Steve

84KF

Posted

sum bitch... ya got me.. I am at work and dont have my paperwork in front of me, but I dont recall anywhere on the paperwork, other than the original bill of sale from the dealer that has a hand written gross wgt 1085 on the top of the paper.... No where else is it mentioned.  All I have is the airworthiness, limitations (called out as a motor glider), and the bill of sale / order form.  All other paperwork and build logs were destroyed in a house fire before i bought it.

I do know that if you are ramp checked you better have a current WB.  That would be the ONLY place I could see the number being used just to show how you keep the CG in range for your load.

come on with the rest and enlighten us, I look forward to a good uhhh discussion on this subject.  Wonder how long it will take them to ban your IP again  :nutkick:  :banned2:

:beerchug:

Posted

Leni,

For $10.00 you can get every document that is on file with the FAA for your, or any, aircraft sent to you on a CD.

I obtained all records of 84KF this way.

http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/aircraft_certification/aircraft_registry/copies_aircraft_records/

http://162.58.35.241/e.gov/ND/airrecordsND.asp

I'll e-mail my file to you so you can see what you would receive.

Yes, there is personal information listed, but it is public record so  anyone could access it if the had a mind to....and 10 bucks.

Steve

Posted

Steve,

Thanks alot!  I just spent my 10.00 and have the CD headed my way.  Who the hell woulda thunk the FAA had something in place that was easy to do to get info!!!!!

Nice score!

:beerchug: