Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Different Magnum Rudder?

26 posts in this topic

Posted

Well, I lost some sleep because I've been trying to figure out if I could do the 3 mount attachment on my Magnum...

Problem one is that the magnum doesn't have the nice triangular support coming down to the bottom longeron, in front of the front gear mount.

Problem two is that even if I added a support, the bottom longeron bends inboard immediately after the front mount.

So the third mount would not be in line with the other two.

I could add a third mount behind the back mount, but the geometry would be awkward and the fuselage is already covered with fabric, so that is impossible.

Looks like I'm stuck using the original mounts.

I wanted to talk to Brett about his Bush Gear, but I can't seem to get ahold of him. Anyway, I'm 99% sure that the bush gear he is building is not going to be strong enough for the GW of the Magnum.

That leaves me building my own. I'm worried about my lack of Tig / torch welding skills. I have stick welded for years as a hobby, but never welded anything as critical as this!

I guess my other would be the grove gear.

I have the original bungee gear now, but I really want something wider, taller and sturdy for back country landings.

Somebody sell me on one of these options, please...I have about 2 months to make the decision.

Thanks,

Ron