Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

EA 81 Dual pickup distributer

11 posts in this topic

Posted

Good day everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the dual pickup distributer (nippondenso) and GM LS 1 module/coil pack. Can the LS 1 coil accept 12 volts? Do you need a resistor? Diagram would be great. Thanks.

Posted

Good day everyone. Does anyone have any experience with the dual pickup distributer (nippondenso) and GM LS 1 module/coil pack. Can the LS 1 coil accept 12 volts? Do you need a resistor? Diagram would be great. Thanks.

Somewhere in my papers I have an article written by (Myal or Mesinger??) or another which tells about converting the EA-81 distributer to dual points or pickups - no experience with it - but can look it up and see what info is there for you. I figure if the 81 in a car can run 400,000 miles on one set of points, then why change it?

Now, why wouldnt a GM pack accept 12 volts? I know that some Chrysler systems used a 12 volt start power, and a stepdown resister to 6 volts or so for running - havent studied GM.

Could GM parts place give you the info on the LS 1 coil voltage?

ED in MO Chrysler retiree

Posted

Thanks Ed. I do have the article about how to put in the new plate and dual pickups. Fairly straight forward. Just a matter of rounding up the parts. The gm LS 1 setup is actually cheaper than the "paul messinger?" setup with separate module and coil. Flying up here in the Yukon doesn't always leave a lot of good landing spots. I know the single pickup/module in my setup runs great and is reliable but module are not like points that start to warn you that things are going bad. I know about the setup from ram and that looks great just by the the time I ship my dizzy down and back and their charge I'll be around $750+. I am going to see if they will sell me just the pieces I can't get locally. Cheers

Posted (edited)

Thanks Ed. I do have the article about how to put in the new plate and dual pickups. Fairly straight forward. Just a matter of rounding up the parts. The gm LS 1 setup is actually cheaper than the "paul messinger?" setup with separate module and coil. Flying up here in the Yukon doesn't always leave a lot of good landing spots. I know the single pickup/module in my setup runs great and is reliable but module are not like points that start to warn you that things are going bad. I know about the setup from ram and that looks great just by the the time I ship my dizzy down and back and their charge I'll be around $750+. I am going to see if they will sell me just the pieces I can't get locally. Cheers

Sounds like you know more about what you are doing than what I have forgotten.

Yukon is big - got stranded there one trip. About where are you?

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

post-232-13610677265209_thumb.jpgI'm in Whitehorse. It's the banana belt of the Yukon. Got out today. Weather was perfect. Right around 0 C and no wind.

Posted

post-232-13610677265209_thumb.jpgI'm in Whitehorse. It's the banana belt of the Yukon. Got out today. Weather was perfect. Right around 0 C and no wind.

Spent several times in Whitehorse - stayed at Motel across from the DC-3 weathervane - Sorry to say, I ate several times at different places there, and the food was terrible - even at KFC!

Hope you have a good cook at home and dont have to eat out - maybe I am just spoiled by cooking here?

Good Flying,

ED in MO

Posted

Sorry about the food Ed. I don't think much has changed!

Posted

I put the RAM dual distributor in mine; I believe is it running two of the stock ND pickups. When I was looking into this initially I read some discussions about the stock ND pickups being junk and that one should use the GM pickups. Not sure if that is true or not; I just decided to not experiment with it on my own and bought the RAM setup instead. The first setup I got had trouble firing on one of the pickups or coils, I was not sure which. I sent it back and they sent me a new setup (distributor, pickups and coils) and it has been fine. From what Ron at RAM told me; it should not be run with both ignitions on at the same time for a long period of time or it will overheat the coil joiner so I only run one iginition at a time and will have to manually hit the second ignition switch if I ever have a failure. I always check them both at runup though and it adds some peace of mind.

Sorry, not much help on using the GM pickups.

Posted

Thanks for the responses. I have been rounding everything up that I need. Need to due a little research on the voltage going to the LS 1 module/coil pack. Going to look it up on shop key. Pretty sure it is full (12.6) system voltage but just to be sure I don't want to overvolt the coil. Talked to the fellow down in south carolina but he isn't interested in selling me just the wiring harness and technical advice. Can't say I blame him though. Budget on mine so far is: 2 used donor distributers. $40.00. 1 MSD coil selector $85.00. 2 Standard LS 1 module/coils $180.00 (new). Machining Aluminum 6061 mounting plate. $40.00. 2 LS1 unassembled module connectors. $20.00. Add to this the adventure of putting it together. Mine will be stock advance curve-no vacuum. Haven't got the switches, wiring, loom and nicknacks. Total so far $365. New cap and rotor added to this. This price is FOB Yukon so I think I'm coming in at less than half of importing.

Posted

Thanks for the responses. I have been rounding everything up that I need. Need to due a little research on the voltage going to the LS 1 module/coil pack. Going to look it up on shop key. Pretty sure it is full (12.6) system voltage but just to be sure I don't want to overvolt the coil. Talked to the fellow down in south carolina but he isn't interested in selling me just the wiring harness and technical advice. Can't say I blame him though. Budget on mine so far is: 2 used donor distributers. $40.00. 1 MSD coil selector $85.00. 2 Standard LS 1 module/coils $180.00 (new). Machining Aluminum 6061 mounting plate. $40.00. 2 LS1 unassembled module connectors. $20.00. Add to this the adventure of putting it together. Mine will be stock advance curve-no vacuum. Haven't got the switches, wiring, loom and nicknacks. Total so far $365. New cap and rotor added to this. This price is FOB Yukon so I think I'm coming in at less than half of importing.

Hopefully you will save enough to fly over to Tok and get some good grub at FAST EDDIE'S.....:lol:

ED in MO

Posted

Well I going to have to check that out! I know it sounds like being cheap.....but what the hey. I enjoy the challenge of putting it together. I'll give you my food review later. Cheers. B