Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flap handle alternatives

6 posts in this topic

Posted

When buckled tight, I can't easily reach the flap handle on my KF 4-1200.

Either it's a really poor design or I have mutant short arms to go with my mutant big belly.

Regardless, I made a poor man's solution based on Av8r3400's flap handle (not sure if he has mutant short arms or mutant big belly too), but would like to make up a more permanent and elegant, but less intrusive, flap handle.

Soliciting ideas, any input?

post-53-13613842322583_thumb.jpg

Posted

When buckled tight, I can't easily reach the flap handle on my KF 4-1200.

Either it's a really poor design or I have mutant short arms to go with my mutant big belly.

Regardless, I made a poor man's solution based on Av8r3400's flap handle (not sure if he has mutant short arms or mutant big belly too), but would like to make up a more permanent and elegant, but less intrusive, flap handle.

Soliciting ideas, any input?

An extension for those T-Rex arms?

post-545-13614248629301_thumb.jpg

Sorry, couldn't resist, I was in the military with a guy that, we joked, had short arms and he is forever known as T-Rex.

I like your invention...paint it yellow with black stripes and it will look like an ejection handle!

See ya,

Ron

Posted (edited)

Mine on the yellow plane is not as much of a "loop" as that one is. It is more of a 2" radius, 180º bend that comes back 4-5".

I need to also do something on the Mangy Fox to produce a similar result. I do not have long, goony, orangutan arms either, so something will have to be done. I'm actually thinking of a 90º angle back with a small "T" handle on the end...

post-36-13614951636236_thumb.jpg

post-36-13614952036811_thumb.jpg

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

The only other idea I've seen on TKF was some crazy long arm with a big ball, kinda like some 40' or 50' ape hanger car shifter, which did nothing for me. I'm thinking about cutting the original off at the pivot and starting fresh. Anything is better than the way it is.

Posted

Found this pic in my old KF3 Ideas folder, nice clean look but doesn't solve my 'reach' issue. I think this is the only other orange powder coat frame I've ever seen. I'm guessing not too many ordered but it's been growing on me!

post-53-0-67398400-1366641060_thumb.jpg

Posted

Take a look at EZFLAP  about the same situation on certified planes like the pacer, 180-185 etc with manual flaps.  You have to put you head and eyes BELOW the panel to grab the flap handle.  EZ came up with a solution that is much like yours only different :lol:

:BC: