Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Should I paint the wing before covering?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I am wondering if I should paint my wing tanks with epoxy primer before covering?

I want to do this to seal the filler...I have heard that some fillers can hold water if they are not sealed.

I would also like to do it to fill pin holes in the filler, and make sure the shape is correct.

The wing has the fiberglass panels and plastic leading edge that I used filler on to smooth some transitions of the different surfaces.

Should I paint the fiberglass too?

What would be the cons? Extra weight?

Thanks,

Ron

Here is a pic

post-545-13615191747725_thumb.jpg

Posted

Ron, I'll let others address the question. However, if you get a chance, I sure would appreciate some pics of the Magnum's 'Finch-style' tips before covering. Thanks!

Posted (edited)

Ron, I'll let others address the question. However, if you get a chance, I sure would appreciate some pics of the Magnum's 'Finch-style' tips before covering. Thanks!

Ask and you shall receive!

The trailing edge tip has been kicking my ass! I get a new scratch everytime I go around the wing that way!

post-545-13615780731503_thumb.jpg

post-545-13615782062094_thumb.jpg

Edit...finished side view of tips that Randy was talking about. They are bent up...on purpose.

post-545-13617829306893_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ron

Posted

Is that intended to provide an increase in performance or is it primarily asthetic?

Posted

Is that intended to provide an increase in performance or is it primarily asthetic?

Randy,

The 'THEORY' is to shed the vortex farther back and get it off of the wing, to lessen drag -

The other part of the theory is to bend this end up "X-Degrees" would also help - but without jigs, how do you get both tips bent at the same angle - Real good theory - just need better engineering for making parts.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

I am wondering if I should paint my wing tanks with epoxy primer before covering?

I want to do this to seal the filler...I have heard that some fillers can hold water if they are not sealed.

I would also like to do it to fill pin holes in the filler, and make sure the shape is correct.

The wing has the fiberglass panels and plastic leading edge that I used filler on to smooth some transitions of the different surfaces.

Should I paint the fiberglass too?

What would be the cons? Extra weight?

Thanks,

Ron

Here is a pic

post-545-13615191747725_thumb.jpg

You didnt say what kind of filler - Bondo should be sealed with urethane or paint, IMO.

For fiberglas or epoxy filler - I dont have an answer - Some say protect fiberglas with epoxy, others say use the aluminum dope as a sunblock - Yours will be covered, so the fabric will have sunblock. I dont think it matters which way you go - With your 1750 gross, what is another pound or so of paint going to matter?

My flying buddy keeps telling me that "An ounce isnt much, but 16 of them make a pound - a pound isnt much, but how heavy do you want your plane?" He has a point there.

You may get different or better answers here. You do want to seal the wood really well.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

You didnt say what kind of filler - Bondo should be sealed with urethane or paint, IMO.

For fiberglas or epoxy filler - I dont have an answer - Some say protect fiberglas with epoxy, others say use the aluminum dope as a sunblock - Yours will be covered, so the fabric will have sunblock. I dont think it matters which way you go - With your 1750 gross, what is another pound or so of paint going to matter?

My flying buddy keeps telling me that "An ounce isnt much, but 16 of them make a pound - a pound isnt much, but how heavy do you want your plane?" He has a point there.

You may get different or better answers here. You do want to seal the wood really well.

ED in MO

Thanks Ed,

I guess if I was really concerned about weight, I could loose my beer gut...but what fun is that!

I think I will paint at least the wing tank. I just want to make sure everything looks right. It is hard to tell just looking at the filler.

I used some stuff called U Pol. It is good stuff and it says it is water proof.

Thanks for the help.

Ron

Posted

Randy,

The 'THEORY' is to shed the vortex farther back and get it off of the wing, to lessen drag -

The other part of the theory is to bend this end up "X-Degrees" would also help - but without jigs, how do you get both tips bent at the same angle - Real good theory - just need better engineering for making parts.

ED in MO

Ron sent me a PM about landing gear and had a side view of a Magnum; it looks like the finch tip is "bent up" a bit as well.