Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox 1 kit

16 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, A while back, I ran accross a Kitfox 1 kit that had very little done on it. I ended up bringing it home today, I don't intend to build it at this time, more likly going to roll it over and hopefully come out just a bit ahead on the deal. Not sure what will be best, part it out or keep it togeather. So far, it seems I'm missing the doors, and the elevator push-pull tube. The guy is going to look for them, so maybe they will still turn up. Anyway, that's the story for today. Here are a few pics. Got quite a few boxes of small parts, didn't put them on the floor with the big stuff for the pics, but it seems like most if not all of that stuff is there. Take care, Jim Chuk

PS last 2 pics of the wheel hubs and brakes. Never saw brakes like this before, anyone familar with them?

post-329-13630547059771_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630547187424_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630547380553_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630547596685_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630547826762_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630547994576_thumb.jpg

post-329-13630548142779_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jim - I have the elevator P/P tube from my KF-3 lying around somewhere still. At worse, might need to cut it down a tad. And figure out how to ship the darn thing...

post-53-1363062667921_thumb.jpg

Posted

Jim, I have a set of KF1 doors - actually may have more than one set - probably need lexan. Have some other spare parts too.

Let me know what you need.

If you want to PM me, I would like to know what the kit cost you. I've got a partial kit for sale.

ED in MO

Posted

Hi Doug, If it would be possible to give me the dimentions of the tube, I might have somthing here I can use. Looks like aluminum in the picture?? Also, if you don't mind, a closeup picture of each end. Thanks, Jim

Jim - I have the elevator P/P tube from my KF-3 lying around somewhere still. At worse, might need to cut it down a tad. And figure out how to ship the darn thing...

Posted

Hi Ed, thanks for the info. If you don't mind, I would like to talk rather than type, If you PM me your # I could give you a call. Mine is 218-254-2404 Thanks, Jim

Jim, I have a set of KF1 doors - actually may have more than one set - probably need lexan. Have some other spare parts too.

Let me know what you need.

If you want to PM me, I would like to know what the kit cost you. I've got a partial kit for sale.

ED in MO

Posted

Jim, I'll look tonight.

Posted (edited)

Jim, Just a reminder when you make the push-pull elevator tube - If the bushing is already installed in the fuselage, you will need to insert the tube before riveting the last end on it.

If not, then make sure you put the bushing on the tube before riveting the last end on it.

You probably knew that, but just reminding you - when you get my age, you need reminders for everything!

I will try to get measurements on the 1 and 2 tubes this week. If not, please remind me!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Jim, it's buried. I'll try tomorrow. Got one of my boys home from college (he had 4 wisdom teeth yanked today) and we're enjoying the Vicodin and hockey/basketball games now.

Posted (edited)

Hi Doug, If it would be possible to give me the dimentions of the tube, I might have somthing here I can use. Looks like aluminum in the picture?? Also, if you don't mind, a closeup picture of each end. Thanks, Jim

Jim, I roughly measured my KF2 tube - 1" dia. aluminum, approx 112" long, with threaded adapter riveted in each end and sticking out about 1" each end - a 3/16 rod end, and a 3/16 fork end, making it total aprox 119 inches end to end. You could vary the adapters and adjust the tube length to match. The threaded ends were sticking out a long ways, IMO. I plan to change the fork on mine to 1/4" because of bolt wear at the elevator.

I cant get to my KF1 tube now. Hope this helps.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Jim, here's the exploded view from the builder's manual with all the part #'s and measures. I am also adding some pics of my P/P tube because the measures don't exactly match the book. I also see a comment in the margin of the instructions that was put there by the builder, which confuses me even more because it doesn't match the P/P tube he (I assume) fabricated. When you see the tip of the screwdriver pointing to a particular spot on the P/P tube or component, the measure starts from the mirror spot on the other end of the tube (ie., from center of one heim end bearing bolt hole to the center of the other heim end bearing bolt hole).

Dunno if that helps or opens a can of worms! dunno.gif

post-53-13632203926831_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203936215_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203944455_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203952535_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203959673_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203969027_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203978109_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203987063_thumb.jpg

post-53-13632203998823_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Jim,

I have the builder manual for the KF1 - If you need more info, I can check it for you.

Dougs photos look like what I have for the KF2, except the 1 and 2 used a fork end at the elevator.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks a bunch guys! That is really helpful. Ed, could you by any chance get a picture of that forked end on the tube? Thanks again, Jim

Jim,

I have the builder manual for the KF1 - If you need more info, I can check it for you.

Dougs photos look like what I have for the KF2, except the 1 and 2 used a fork end at the elevator.

ED in MO

Posted (edited)

Thanks a bunch guys! That is really helpful. Ed, could you by any chance get a picture of that forked end on the tube? Thanks again, Jim

Jim,

I am not very good at posting photos - It looks like a standard Heim or Aurora fork end, with a 3/16 hole in it and about 3/16 between forks - The internal threaded part could be any size you choose, probably 1/4-28 or larger - I will see what the manual says, or if it just gives a part number.

Ed

The manual gives it as AN320-3. Well, DUH - thats the nut on the clevis bolt - No heim number found for the fork end - Just a KF part #.

The threaded adapter that the ends screw onto are AN490HT11P for the front, and AN490HT8P for the rear - dont know why they have to be different? Evidently, you have to make the step-down bushing that goes between the tube and the adapter - Dont see why you couldnt make this as one piece?

Parting Shot: The KF1 book gives the aluminum tube length as 106 3/8" and overall length, hole to hole, as 112 3/8, so it is about 6" shorter than my KF2..........ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Thanks, Ed, I did a bit more digging through my manual, don't know why I didn't see it allready, but I found the page that shows the tubes and all their pieces and lengths. Page F-6 in my manual. I'm going to google some of those parts and see what pops up. Thanks again, Jim

Jim,

I am not very good at posting photos - It looks like a standard Heim or Aurora fork end, with a 3/16 hole in it and about 3/16 between forks - The internal threaded part could be any size you choose, probably 1/4-28 or larger - I will see what the manual says, or if it just gives a part number.

Ed

The manual gives it as AN320-3. Well, DUH - thats the nut on the clevis bolt - No heim number found for the fork end - Just a KF part #.

The threaded adapter that the ends screw onto are AN490HT11P for the front, and AN490HT8P for the rear - dont know why they have to be different? Evidently, you have to make the step-down bushing that goes between the tube and the adapter - Dont see why you couldnt make this as one piece?

Parting Shot: The KF1 book gives the aluminum tube length as 106 3/8" and overall length, hole to hole, as 112 3/8, so it is about 6" shorter than my KF2..........ED

Posted

Hi all, A while back, I ran accross a Kitfox 1 kit that had very little done on it. I ended up bringing it home today, I don't intend to build it at this time, more likly going to roll it over and hopefully come out just a bit ahead on the deal. Not sure what will be best, part it out or keep it togeather. So far, it seems I'm missing the doors, and the elevator push-pull tube. The guy is going to look for them, so maybe they will still turn up. Anyway, that's the story for today. Here are a few pics. Got quite a few boxes of small parts, didn't put them on the floor with the big stuff for the pics, but it seems like most if not all of that stuff is there. Take care, Jim Chuk

PS last 2 pics of the wheel hubs and brakes. Never saw brakes like this before, anyone familar with them?

Jim the brakes are Airheart brakes. I have them on my Q-2 and they work well if mounted so they float properly.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.airheart-brakes.com/

Paul Spackman

Posted

Thanks for the info Paul! Jim Chuk

Jim the brakes are Airheart brakes. I have them on my Q-2 and they work well if mounted so they float properly.

Here is a link to their website:

http://www.airheart-brakes.com/

Paul Spackman