Mounting battery in tail

12 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, I've been working on the bent parts in my first Avid MK IV, and have been thinking it would be a good idea to make a battery mount and door to access it near the tail to help out the CG a bit. I've got a number of ideas, but it's often helpfull to see how someone else did it. Anyone have any pics they can post for me to see? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Posted

Hi all, I've been working on the bent parts in my first Avid MK IV, and have been thinking it would be a good idea to make a battery mount and door to access it near the tail to help out the CG a bit. I've got a number of ideas, but it's often helpfull to see how someone else did it. Anyone have any pics they can post for me to see? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Jim,

Someone may have better ideas, but if you look at my "Foxy Flapper Fotos" in Kitfox IV section, I added support tubes on the bottom and replaced part of my wood stringer on the side with tubing. Going to make a pan for under the battery, and an aluminum door pivoted at the front.

ED in MO

Posted

Jim, here's what I did on my Mk-IV. Not quite all the way to the tail, and accessible through the baggage locker floor which was installed with nutplates.

post-53-13633535750795_thumb.jpg

post-53-13633535760064_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hi Jim

Search YouTube for Avid Biggin. I posted a couple of videos on how to do this. Bryce

Posted

Here's my setup.

post-379-13633826680971_thumb.jpg

post-379-13633826827878_thumb.jpg

Posted

Great place for it for CG but strap everything down real good and check it frequently, it will take a pounding back there. Check your ELT after every landing in rough stuff.

Posted (edited)

Great place for it for CG but strap everything down real good and check it frequently, it will take a pounding back there. Check your ELT after every landing in rough stuff.

It smooths out when you move the 3rd wheel up to the front! :lol:/>

Tailskis are better tho! ;)

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Yup for now this plane will be a nose dragger with the 912ULS. Working on getting ready to rib stitch the covered wing.

Travis

Posted

Is it just me or should the "classifieds" section be used for things for sale????

Posted

No it's not just you, That was my fault when I posted the message.  I didn't notice I was in the wrong section and messed up.  I doubt that it's the worst thing I ever did in my life, but if I deserve to be shot for it, I'll just have to live (???) with that.   LOL  LOL

Just to be clear, cause you can't see I'm grinning as I type this,  First part is fessing up and saying I'm sorry, second part was trying to be funny.  Hope it worked.   Jim

Posted

Yup, it's funny. As soon as I get to a real computer I will move this thread. Jim, if you get shot for this then I will truly face a firing squad for the crap I have done wrong in the last week! :BC:

Posted (edited)

You wont have to worry for long Jim,

If they cant take all the guns, then they will take all the bullets!   Homeland Security has just ordered a BILLION PLUS ,223s, to try to dry up the market - While letting 2600 illegal immigrant criminals out of jail, "To save money"?

Strangely, that .223 is what our military uses - Now what are they going to do without bullets.....Oh yes, they have drones!.

Good news Leni - No more firing squads - maybe use the Towelheads death by stoning, or flogging?

Got to stop on here and make some more spearpoints......

ED in MO  Toolmaker - World's Second Occupation!   What was the First? 

Think about that - what was there in the cave to trade the tools for?

Edited by Ed In Missouri