Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Making new Conform Foam seats

32 posts in this topic

Posted

Doug -

I'm new to this site, but I just wanted to let you know this post is BY FAR the best thing I have ever seen on seat constructions. This was 10 times as informative as the Kitplane article. Bravo! Outstanding work on all accounts. My butt thanks you.

Brad

Posted

Welcome to the site Brad!! Gobs more of information on here.

Posted

Brad, thanks for the post and welcome to the AFF forums.

I noticed I never really closed out the project thread so here are some pics I took of the final product.

Yes, that is simulated Ostrich leather chosen for water repellency, and extreme durability. Hopefully the side bolsters will hold up to to the repeated abuse of sliding in and out. The center fabric is a thicker than normal commercial fabric with high UV colorfastness, super stain resistance and water repellent built in. I included zippers on all covers for easy foam removal and repair, cleaning etc. I also added a wide industrial Velcro strip to each cushion back to keep them in place. As a last touch, I used some scrap to cover the seat pan for a more finished look. All in all, the sew job could have been better but still a big improvement over the old POS cushions the plane came with.

Yes, they are comfortable!

005.JPG

003.JPG

002.JPG

2 people like this

Posted

Great tutorial and fantastic looking seats!  You really classed up the cockpit.

Posted

Thanks for this great article Doug. The seat pan looks very similar to the one I just completed and now I hope my cushions will be half as comfortable as yours look to be. I'll follow your instructions..

Posted

great seats!!

Posted

Great-Looking seats Doug - I will bet they are a lot more comfortable.

I didn't like my Kitfox seats - felt like I was trying to get out of a recliner - and I was getting older and stiffer - so I bought Cabellas boat seats like Suberavid has, and now its more like sitting in a chair, and I sit higher - I know that if I re-covered them with your foam that they would probably feel lots better - Maybe someday?

EdMO