Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Mecury Power Tune

3 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi Leni, in a recent post of yours, you said you use Mecury Power Tune every 100 hrs. to get rid of the carbon in your engine. Can you tell me more about that product, and how you use it. My hour meter is showing 51 hrs. since I rebuilt the 582 last Sept. and I'm thinking about Rotax's saying to decarbon every 50 hrs. Thanks, Jim Chuk

Posted

I get it at the local motor sports shop. You just fire the engine up and spray it into the carbs till it starts choking down. Let it recover, then hit it again till the black crap stops running out the exhaust. WARNING, you will be blowing some SERIOUS black crap out the exhaust so dont do this over your nice clean paved driveway. This works wonders on old boat motors or any two stroke engine. I just picked up another can before I left so I should do a little demo video when I get home.

Make sure you run the engine for a bit (5-10 minutes) after you get done cleaning it to make sure you get all the solvents and crap (power tune) out of the engine and get it fully coated in good clean oil again.

I just googled it and you can get it at West Marine along with a host of other online shops... shipping may be an issue as its in an aerosol can.

:BC:

Posted

Hi Leni, in a recent post of yours, you said you use Mecury Power Tune every 100 hrs. to get rid of the carbon in your engine. Can you tell me more about that product, and how you use it. My hour meter is showing 51 hrs. since I rebuilt the 582 last Sept. and I'm thinking about Rotax's saying to decarbon every 50 hrs. Thanks, Jim Chuk

I think Rotax says to decarbon every 150 hrs. It really depends on the amount of running you do in a short time and type of oil used. Sounds like the Mercury power tune is a nice alternative.

Norm