Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Got'er flyin'!

9 posts in this topic

Posted

Finally got the Kitfox Model IV where everything's working and is capable of flight!  Took it out for a 1.5 hour test flight and it flew fine.  Gonna take it to the avionics shop Monday to have the transponder/static system checked.  That has never been done since the aircraft was built in 2003.

Posted

What? No pictures??  Supposed to have pictures.  :beerchug:

Posted

No, no peechers! ;D  I have a hell of a time taking pictures of me and the airplane while flying it. 

Got a new aircraft logbook entry though.  Had the Mode C transponder and altimeter check done today, and got in almost 4 hours stick time doing it.  No avionics shops close by. 

Anybody got any idea what the fuel burn should be on the NSI normally aspirated Subaru?  My fuel flow meter says it's about 5.5 at cruise.  Seems a little high to me, but I haven't verified the actual fuel burn by adding measured amounts after a flight with full tanks.  Gotta get 'round tuit one of these days.  :beerchug:

Posted

congrats on getting her back in the air.  I just got back from a one week drunk fest at Arcticman. www.arcticman.com

heck of a party and alot of fresh snow we tracked up!  I have my wing on the saw horses and got a few new cap strips glued in lastnight.  I plan on spending the next week getting her back on her feet and should have the wing covered.

Posted

Git'er dun!  Sounds like your'e gonna have it in the air pretty quick.

That Articman thing is something new since I left Alaska.  Sounds like it could be fun.

Has breakup started yet?

John Hart

Posted

yep break up is in full swing.

ArcticMan has been going on since the mid to late 80's.  It is a total riot with alot of good riding and worst case you end up hanging around a bonfire with your best friends and telling lies..

the "bar" was provisions for 3 people for 6 days, not counting the beer.

I thought about doing a kitfox flyin in along these same lines, but I think the hey yall hold my beer and watch this would not end quit as funny as it does on snowmachines...

:beerchug:

300_AK_representing_jpg08e8168a7643f1a13

302_Aman_2008_Bar_jpg4a930c49ac1a6592f11

304_Close_up_bar_jpgab529b62cc90be3d1347

306_Ridgerat_freestyling_the_110_jpge36c

Posted

Uhhh, I think you're right about the "hold my beer" thing with a Kitfox winter, or even summer fly-in!

Won't be long now before the salmon runs start if you're into breakup.  I'd sure like to get back up that way for a while, but got to ride it out here until I can sell the house.

John Hart

Posted

No, no peechers! ;D  I have a hell of a time taking pictures of me and the airplane while flying it. 

Got a new aircraft logbook entry though.  Had the Mode C transponder and altimeter check done today, and got in almost 4 hours stick time doing it.  No avionics shops close by. 

Anybody got any idea what the fuel burn should be on the NSI normally aspirated Subaru?  My fuel flow meter says it's about 5.5 at cruise.  Seems a little high to me, but I haven't verified the actual fuel burn by adding measured amounts after a flight with full tanks.  Gotta get 'round tuit one of these days.  :beerchug:

Have you checked it out yet by measuring the fuel you put in the tank?  It does seem high, but how hard are you cruising it?  I have seen posts of 3-6 g/h depending on cruise.  You have the CAP prop to if I remember right.  Does that seem to help you out?  What kind of perfomance numbers are you getting?  I am thinking of replacing the 582, but am torn trying to find the highest power lowest weight and trying to balance the fuel burn in there too.

:beerchug:

Posted

No, I haven't been out again since that 4 hour trip for the transponder check.  Seems like I'm up to my ears in alligators, and forgot my primary objective is to drain the swamp, and I can't find the plug!  Busier than a cat trying to cover up manure on a mrble floor lately.  Maybe next week I can go out again.  We're trying to get ready for a road trip pulling a 30' gooseneck flatbed loaded with stuff to take out to Oregon for our youngest son.  We plan on geing gone for a month to 6 weeks.  Got to have a little time to spoil the grandkids rotten while we're there!

John Hart :beerchug: