Subaru E-81 Engine Service Manual

34 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just ran across this Subaru E-81 Service Manual mislabeled in my files. Seems I saved it way back in 2003 but had forgotten all about it. Maybe you Sube guys will find it helpful.

SubaruEA81-ServiceManual.pdf

[edit] adding a link to: How To Keep Your Subaru Alive - A Manual of Step By Step Procedures For The Complete Idiot

Edited by dholly

Posted

Just ran across this Subaru E-81 Service Manual mislabeled in my files. Seems I saved it way back in 2003 but had forgotten all about it. Maybe you Sube guys will find it helpful.

Thanks Doug.

Ed in MO

Posted

Thanks as well. B

Posted

I was -very- seriously considering a RAM Sube for my Avid+ before they relocated from Ohio to So. Carolina. C'est la vie!

Posted

I was -very- seriously considering a RAM Sube for my Avid+ before they relocated from Ohio to So. Carolina. C'est la vie!

Y'all dont like Bubba-Gump shrimp?

ED in MO

Posted

Love shrimp, just not those Asian cess-pool farm raised shrimp. Yuck! :flush:/>

RAM Performance Ohio was within driving distance for me. Not to mention lack of support locally, shipping engines halfway across the country is not inexpensive.

Posted

Love shrimp, just not those Asian cess-pool farm raised shrimp. Yuck! :flush:/>/>

RAM Performance Ohio was within driving distance for me. Not to mention lack of support locally, shipping engines halfway across the country is not inexpensive.

Just friendly ribbing Doug - Figured that was the reason - Had the same problem, only more expensive, when living in Alaska. Yup, nothing worse than "Giant Asian sewerbugs"!

ED in MO

Posted

I was wondering why I couldn't contact them.  My alternator seems to be decreasing in voltage output to the point I think I need to replace it.  I talked to them a few weeks ago to find out what the part number was; I got the local NAPA to order it and it was not the one I have from RAM.  Tried to contact RAM again and only got a busy signal.  I may have to modify my alt. mount if I cant get a good number for the alt.  I can find the basic 6 lb ND alternator on a 95 Toyota PU but the mount is a little different.  Oh well, I built the mount I have now because the RAM mount did not work with the Stratus manifold/carb set up.

RAM makes some interesting turbo'd and supercharged subies...  I would like to see how they performed but don't know how I could fit any more equipment under the cowl.

Posted

4-5 years back I was very interested in one of the RAM engines, looks like their prices have really jumped up in the past few years. Covering their moving expense or super busy success story?

Posted

Randy,

If you dont get  the info you need, I have one big original alternator, and another smaller one that is on my Reductions engine - I can check the part # on the small one and send it to you.

I have a couple of friends who have used NO2 - one in a car, and dont think I can contact him now, and another who is currently using it for a Harley.   I would think that an aluminum engine might not take the pressures from it, but I will ask my flying buddy about it.

Surely, there are lots of books about it.  I have never studied it, but saw some blown-up engines because of it.

Eggenfeldner had an experimental supercharger for the later soobs, but it was not tested well, and my friend tried it on his RV  and the belt broke and he ended up with a totalled RV because of it.

NSI had a turbo EA-81 some years back - The comp ratio has to be lowered down to about 7:1 for the charged version, compared to about 9:1 for the normal engine.

ED in MO

Posted

Nitros Oxide (NO2) is very basic applied chemistry.  (And the first person to refer to it as "Noss" i will personally punch in the face.)

The elements in it are nitrogen (inert) and oxygen.  When introduced to an internal combustion engine, the nitrogen has a cooling effect (compressed into a liquid state it is also widely used as a flash freezing coolant) increasing the density of the atmosphere in the intake system.  The other half, oxygen, we all know what that does to combustion.

With the additional oxygenating agents there ALWAYS needs to be a second injector for increasing the volume of fuel in the combustion.  If this injector is lacking or there is not enough fuel present, the resultant lean-out will destroy the engine.  Poof.

Nitrous in itself is usually not what destroys engines.  What causes most dramatic failures is the lean-out melt-down of not having enough additional fuel present to balance the combustion.  All that oxygen will burn something.  If not fuel, it will burn the engine itself.

Posted (edited)

I had guessed what you said was the basis for NO2 - My first question would be, Where is the line between "faster burning" and "explosions"?    Would the EGT have time to tell you that things were going wrong before it is too late?    By "second injector", do you mean for the regular gasoline, I am guessing.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

That is a lot of my worry; getting it set up correctly.  I can buy the "Y" injectors that have inputs for both fuel and NO2 into the one injector; and run an injector into each intake.  The question would be what size, and would the 4-5 psi from my fuel pump(s) be adequate?   Good question if the EGT would let you know before it was too late.  I would think so but when you hit the solonoid switch at full throttle it probably happens pretty fast.

Posted

Ed,

Thanks for the help.  I think I found the correct alternator replacement for the one I am running (from RAM).  It is from a 1995 Suzuki Samari; I just picked a new reman'd one up yesterday; just have to pull mine off and make sure they are an exact match.  Then switch pullys to my expensive aluminum serpentine one and get it bolted on.  Normally would do that today but just might have to forgo it and fly Jeff's plane out to the Lodge to meeet Leni for the crawfish boil.... :)

Randy,

If you dont get  the info you need, I have one big original alternator, and another smaller one that is on my Reductions engine - I can check the part # on the small one and send it to you.

I have a couple of friends who have used NO2 - one in a car, and dont think I can contact him now, and another who is currently using it for a Harley.   I would think that an aluminum engine might not take the pressures from it, but I will ask my flying buddy about it.

Surely, there are lots of books about it.  I have never studied it, but saw some blown-up engines because of it.

Eggenfeldner had an experimental supercharger for the later soobs, but it was not tested well, and my friend tried it on his RV  and the belt broke and he ended up with a totalled RV because of it.

NSI had a turbo EA-81 some years back - The comp ratio has to be lowered down to about 7:1 for the charged version, compared to about 9:1 for the normal engine.

ED in MO

Posted

In a failure situation, the egts will spike so quickly it is doubtful that you would have time to react even if you were staring at the gauge. This is why the most successful installations are on fully electronic controlled motors.

Think about this process in terms of a oxy-acetylene cutting torch head. Very similar.

Posted (edited)

Randy,

I havent figured out how to copy your post for my reply on this new site - Your post above wondering if your fuel pump pressure would work -  I checked out one of the sites for injector systems, and it read like your pump pressure would work, BUT, it seemed to indicate that the volume (gph) requirement was very high, so guess this could be critical too, like the line size and other things.

Too much specialized engineering required on this for me to figure out.

I would think for the risks it would involve, I would just convert to the 4 cyl Turbo Honda which weighs only about 10 pounds more than the Soob, and gives 140 horses, and sell the Stratus while it is still in one piece, or find a turbo EA-81 with 125 hp.........either one is cheaper than a 912.

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

If you're thinking the Eggenfellner motor, good luck.

I wouldn't buy a dog house design from that guy.

Posted

I think I have already said I dont like Eggenfeldner engineering, and I dont think they even make an EA-81 now.  All the later models are too heavy for our planes.  There are other turbo EA-81's available, or were?

ED in MO

Posted

(I was referring to the Honda engine comment...   :deadhorse: )

Posted

Not ready to get rid of my Stratus EA81 and I think a turbo on it would bring additional cooling requirements as well and a lot of work to fit it in there and plumb to the dual carbs.  No thanks; I spent a lot of time putting this one together and am not ready to start any new long term project that takes my flying plane out of service.  I don't think I will be putting NO2 on any time soon either but it would be fun to have a test bed plane.  I think the factory SQ2 with the 220 hp Lycoming is running NO2... but they probably had the setup done on a dyno, and could well have it electronically controled as well.  Fun to think about though...

Seems like Eggenfeller really burned their customers with PSRU failures that they didn't warranty and just left them unsupported.  I know of two guys in the EAA up here who bought Eggenfeller motors but swapped them out before the first fligt; did not to even fly them.  They ate the whole cost, ouch!

Posted

There is another company that makes the Honda Turbo - Just saw it in Kitplanes mag......No Eggs for me please!

ED in MO

Posted

Does anyone have pics of the Eggenfeldner PRSU that fails?  I am trying to figure out what the Soob engine / PRSU combination on the Avid (N331DC) that I recently purchased is.  These are pictures of the current PSRU that I am trying to Identify.

Dave in west central IL

IMG_20161016_151325152.jpg

IMG_20161016_151317234_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161016_151253868_HDR.jpg

IMG_20161009_140650619.jpg

Posted (edited)

I believe the only Egg PSRUs that I have seen were internal gears inside a case - Not belt drives.   NSI was also a cased drive, and not a belt drive.  I know that some early redrives used two belts, like yours - later, most all of them went to one belt, but there were different length belts used depending on the reduction ratio.

That is NOT a Dave Johnson redrive either!   NOT a production Stratus either!   I don't know what RAM and others have made.   RFI (Rotary Flight International) (I think in Oklahoma?) was one of the first to modify and use Subaru EA-81 engines with redrives for Gyros - I used to get their "Contact" magazine years ago.   Yours looks like it might be one?   They also made a redrive for the EA-82 when it came out - the bell housing was cut or used with the EA-82.  

Is your engine a single or dual carb?   Jap carb or Holly? 

Do you think it is time to check or grease those bearings in the redrive? EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

That actually looks similar to the first production Stratus redrive that I have. Yet there are a few things that are slightly different. I'll have to go take a look at mine and see if I can tell for sure. I don't know what other redrives looked like that though. Definitely not the Eggs, like EDMO said. His were all gear drive that I'm aware of.

Posted

Is your engine a single or dual carb?   Jap carb or Holly? 

Do you think it is time to check or grease those bearings in the redrive? EDMO

Dual Carb the guy who I bought the plane from said they are Bing Carbs (not verified) as I have only just started on taking things apart and am educating myself as I go.

I got five of the six prop bolts out the sixth is frozen in bad enough that the head broke off and the bolt is still in place. As soon as I figure out how to get it the rest of the way off the whole thing is getting an overhaul level going over.

Dave