Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Model 4 Rudder Pedal Mod

21 posts in this topic

Posted

I was real happy with the rudder pedal modifications I made for my KF-3 (LINK), and I wanted to do something similar with the pedals on my KF-4 as well. The 'E-style' pedals on the KF-4 made the job a lot easier vs. the separate toe brake pieces on the KF-3. In fact, it cost me less than a buck and a half and an hour of my time. The secret is that the holes on the Simpson Strong-tie connector plate are sized right for 1/8" rivets and align perfectly with the 'E'-pedal legs.

post-53-13641856257015_thumb.jpg

post-53-13641856266956_thumb.jpg

post-53-13641856275527_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice...

Posted

My Smitty specials, muchos gracias!

Posted

I was real happy with the rudder pedal modifications I made for my KF-3 (LINK), and I wanted to do something similar with the pedals on my KF-4 as well. The 'E-style' pedals on the KF-4 made the job a lot easier vs. the separate toe brake pieces on the KF-3. In fact, it cost me less than a buck and a half and an hour of my time. The secret is that the holes on the Simpson Strong-tie connector plate are sized right for 1/8" rivets and align perfectly with the 'E'-pedal legs.

OK - got to ask - as a machinist, not a carpenter - what are Simpson strong-tie connector plates and where do you get them and what size? Are they aluminum? Looks like a winner - all my pedals are the E type - was planning to replace them with Cessna 150 aluminum pedals, but this looks doable.

ED in MO

Posted

Ed - they are nail-on tie plates used in deck building or truss construction to hold adjoining lumber together. Pretty common item, HD, Lowes or your local hardware store should have them. I've attached a dimensions drawing but believe the p/n for this one is TP35, you probably can confirm that on their website.

post-53-13642268825153_thumb.jpg

post-53-1364226883174_thumb.jpg

post-53-13642268838299_thumb.jpg

Posted

I'm very intrigued by this, keep us updated. i kept catching the brakes with my toes trying to work the pedals the other day.

Posted

I'm very intrigued by this, keep us updated. i kept catching the brakes with my toes trying to work the pedals the other day.

Should be easy to bend a couple of .032 aluminum sheets or .020 stainless to make these - dont care much for the holes in Dougs - Looks like dirt scraper holes to me, and the dirt would go right on the MCs, IMO.

ED in MO

1 person likes this

Posted

Ed - you're supposed to knock the cow shit off your boots before you climb in the plane! :beerchug:

Posted (edited)

Ed - you're supposed to knock the cow shit off your boots before you climb in the plane! :beerchug:/>/>/>/>/>

And, for certain unnamed writers, the nounage might be "Bullshit"! :lol:/>/>/>/>

Old cropdusters have a lot of fertilize to spread!

I had a CFI who was giving my BFR and he wiped his muddy-graveled shoes off on my new wing-walk tapes on the Ercoupe - He had never been in an Ercoupe - I gave him the ride of his life in my sooped-up Coupe - Before I had finished showing him how good it would do unusual manuevers, he was screaming, "That's enough!" I let him say it several times before landing - he signed me off and never flew with me or wiped his feet on my wing again! :lol:/>/>

ED

Edited by Ed In Missouri
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

i say what i say because the new matco brakes on N94JE will literally flip the plane over they are so powerful.  Locks the tires right up if you dig into them.  Ask me how I know.  I worry about catching them with my tip toes or the sides of my foot.  I'm definitely going to be making some new foot pedals

Edited by RMendler

Posted

Richard - I had the same 'problem' with my KF-3. I could put the plane right up on it's nose and aerate the entire length of the turf strip if I wanted. Going over was always a concern until I made the flat pedals for it. Much more comfortable undefoot and easier to slide your foot up to brake without catching a toe on the tubing. Not sure exactly why but it was a night and day difference for me and I'm hoping this new variant for the KF-4 style 'E' pedals does the same.

Posted

Doug,

Putting all the cowshit aside - and your idea is great - I am just wondering if this could be imporved on by bending the sheet metal to nearly match the contour of the original E-tubes, sort of in a modified V, so that you push on the bottom part more unless you slide your toes up to the top of the V, sort of like the bottom of the Cessna pedals stick out more than the top?

ED in MO

Posted

Ed - I intend to do just that, just need to find a short length of wooden dowel or closet rod first. I will cut it length wise into a half circle profile and screw it to the lower face of the pedal from behind with a bit of Hysol. I am poaching the idea from the same buddy of mine who helped me make my KF-3 pedals (look familiar? :)) This time around, I opted for a little different approach on account I had no suitable aluminum stock on hand and the tie plates were already sitting on the shelf.

post-53-0-41157900-1364482542_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Thats exactly what I was talking about Doug - Looks like a wood copy of the Cessna 150 pedals - Should work great - Was thinking of just bending the sheet metal to that shape or attaching a square tube to the front.

Good Ideas come from all sources - Maybe someone can come up with something better now?

Only problem is - Its hard to get the smell of cowshit out of the wood!   :lol:

Now you know why my floorboards are aluminum!

ED in MO

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

I made a pair of these yesterday, attached them and then covered them in anti skid tape. The airplane is much more controllable while taxing now

Posted

Good to hear it helped you out. I find the large, flat pedal face more comfortable and confidence inspiring all around, particularly when landing and sliding up to brake. Probably be the best $1.50 I spent on my plane. :)

Posted

no joke, i paid $0.88 per plate, $2.88 for a box of aluminum riverts and $2.98 for a long roll of anti-skid tape. 

the cheapest mod i have ever done to an aircraft before and it really only takes a few minutes, no need to remove the pedals i just drilled and cleco'd them in place them went back with rivets when i was done drilling.

Posted

Here's another interesting option for the 'E-style' pedals that incorporates a toe stop.

post-53-0-85509600-1364845023_thumb.jpg

1 person likes this

Posted

These are mine.

post-56-0-67961800-1364863964_thumb.jpg

Posted (edited)

Not sure I know how on this new site - But going to try to post photos of my C-150 pedals - They are 5 inches wide and 6 inches high, but could be shortened an inch either or both ways.   They are much lighter than the E-tubes.  

ED in MO

post-399-0-28565700-1364868926_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ed In Missouri

Posted

Canned the whole idea for something better...

post-36-0-29054300-1364869110_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-98348800-1364869113_thumb.jpg

post-36-0-79554000-1364869117_thumb.jpg