Kitfox IV Questions

42 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just got my new airplane home and had a few questions regarding the tailwheel.  When I turn it by hand, even with the tail off the ground, it is incredibly stiff and difficult to manipulate and it really does not want to free swivel.  Is this normal?  It seems to do fine under normal flying conditions.

I understand that this is a vague description but it takes a good bit of work to the the wheel to release

Edited by RMendler

Posted

What kind of unit is it?  I have an Aviation Products tailwheel, and my 5 year old nephew can move it by hand easily. Bryce

Posted

Yes. Tell us what kind it is or snap a picture. Sounds like it may need to be torn down and cleaned and lubricated.

I do that to my maul wheel every spring.

Posted

i will be trailering it to the airport tomorrow morning, i will get some pics of the aircraft and of the tailwheel

Posted

the tailwheel is fine, got the first taxi in yesterday and it seemed to do okay except that the oil bath resovoir is leaking and im not sure how.  I pulled it off and cannot find a source of the leak but when i fire up the engine and taxi it around and shut down, the oil bath resovoir is covered in 2-stroke oil and its low.

this is a tricky one.  i did install a rubber isolator behind the resovoir thinking that perhaps vibrations were making the oil come out of the vent in the cap.  We will see if that helped today

Posted

I would reccomend tying the plane down and runnig it with the cowl off.

Sounds like the case halfs might be leaking forsing pressure into the

pumpshaft housing thereby forsing oil out.

Are the oil hoses clear poly? If so you could see bubbles.

Posted

unfortunately i have to go on the road for a few days.  wont be back until April 14th.  Oh and the oil leak is in the rotary valve.  Rotax Rick told me it would be no issue, in-fact it is lubicrating the cage bearings better.  I just have to top off the oil bath resovoir every couple flights

Posted

A leaking (overflowing) rotary valve reservoir isn't normal and I wouldn't settle for this.  Maybe you can finish up your engine testing to see if there are any other gremlins, but if it were me, I'd address the issue.

Posted

We did install a rubber isolator to attempt to stop the oil leak. I will have to see how it goes

Posted

Another fun fact, with me and full fuel I can pick the tail up to level flight attitude while sitting still. Lots of fun

Posted

Does anyone have any experience with Murle Williams Aviation? They have some neat parts available

Posted

I have bought several of their products.  An honest, good and reputable seller to deal with.

Posted

I ordered some stol speed vg's and I think I'm going to order strut speed cuffs and a gas cap fairing. Perhaps I can give my top speed a lil bump up and it gives me something to look forward to when I get off the road.

Posted

Here are some quick pics, I keep forgetting to take some when I'm at the airport.

KitfoxIV3_zps85173acf.jpg

KitfoxIV4_zpsbf7df5d4.jpg

KitfoxIV_zpsb5be3104.jpg

My StolSpeed VG's showed up today.  I'd also like to remove the oil injection system, I'm having some small issues with it.

Any advice on how to remove it?  I have no information available in my manuals on how the system is installed and I have not taken a really close look at it yet

Posted

Holly panal, Batman!  IFR certified?

Posted

nope and i intend on replacing the venturi on the side by replacing the gyro instruments with all electric.  Should save some weight and some clutter.  The gyro instruments only work once you take off and get close to cruise, haha.

I figure with a compass, a DG, LORAN GPS, WAAS GPS and an EFB I'm gonna have a hard time getting lost.

Posted

Make sure when you go all electric that you dont pull more juice than the 582 will put out.

:BC:

Posted

yea good thinking.  I guess the instruments work, I'm not looking to do anything anytime soon.

I already have StolSpeed VG's to install and I just want to fly!

I can't find a local tailwheel instructor

Posted

I saw this plane on TeamKitfox, she looks like a honey. But, Do not invest any money on that Lowrance GPS. It's an unsupported boat anchor.

A buddy just got a garmin glo ($100) to go with his iPad-mini (Garmin App - $50/ year). That is the cats pajamas IMO. He's been running it all week at his day job (he drives a CRJ for a living). If I didn't already have my era 500, I'd do that route.

1 person likes this

Posted

yea good thinking.  I guess the instruments work, I'm not looking to do anything anytime soon.

I already have StolSpeed VG's to install and I just want to fly!

I can't find a local tailwheel instructor

It would sure be nice if you can record your speeds without the VGs, and then again after you put them on.

Did you read the post about putting VGs UNDER the wing for better cruise? It is way down below in "files", I think - Posted by Doug A+. This is supposed to add 10 mph cruise to undercambered airfoils.

ED in MO

Posted

im runnig foreflight and ive been eyeing the new stratus 2 that just came out.  I'm already paying the subscription, might as well get the ADS-B IN

Posted

It would sure be nice if you can record your speeds without the VGs, and then again after you put them on.

Did you read the post about putting VGs UNDER the wing for better cruise? It is way down below in "files", I think - Posted by Doug A+. This is supposed to add 10 mph cruise to undercambered airfoils.

ED in MO

I did read a little about that.  I got enough VG's for the wing and the tail.  If I could bump my cruise 10mph I would be ecstatic!

Posted

Here are some quick pics, I keep forgetting to take some when I'm at the airport.

KitfoxIV3_zps85173acf.jpg

KitfoxIV4_zpsbf7df5d4.jpg

KitfoxIV_zpsb5be3104.jpg

What are the round objects above the IP, with a tube? running down each side?

Ed in MO

My StolSpeed VG's showed up today.  I'd also like to remove the oil injection system, I'm having some small issues with it.

Any advice on how to remove it?  I have no information available in my manuals on how the system is installed and I have not taken a really close look at it yet

Posted

If I am reading those articles correctly you install the VG's at 4" centers just behind the leading edge on the bottom of the wing. 

I may give this a try.  I atleast want to test the airflow over and under the wing with my cameras and the good ole string and tape method.

Posted (edited)

What are the round objects above the IP, with a tube? running down each side?
Ed in MO

They are backup emergency panel lights, the are flexible and run on watch batteries.  They actually work quite well.

Edited by RMendler