Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 been sitting

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Guys,

I have a grey head 582 that has been sitting un-used for about three years.  It was fogged and tapped up well prior to storage.  What should I be doing and looking for prior to putting it back in service?  about 110 tt on engine

thanks,

EG

Posted

How long since it had new seals.  Rotax says every 5 years, and while that is probably real conservitive, If it's been a lot longer, it could be a good idea to get new seals and an inspection and decarb could be done at the same time.  That's easy for me to say though, I have a snowmobile outfit about 10 miles from me that will do that for about $250.  They've done something like 8 different engines for me and I flew behind all of them with no problems.  Take care,  Jim Chuk

Posted

If you are happy the way it was sealed, I would be inclined to look at the carbon aspects, and liking that, fly it. Do you have a log book that could give you an idea when it was decarboned? If rings stick, it is generally they will on the intake side, so you won't be able to see it unless you take the head off. If the exhaust and top looks clean, and the rest of the engine appears well taken care of, I would not hesitate to use it.

larry

Avid Mk4 stol 582

Posted

I have a 582 Greyhead for mine, it supposedly has just 75 hours on it and ran good when I took the plane apart to recover it, I was planning on tearing it down and decarboning it and replacing seals and gaskets while I am in there. I am also going the opposite way with the oil injection and putting it back on, I have found the manuals online, but I don't have the specialt tools. Any advice for the guy on a budget and what tools do I really need to tear it down and put it back together right. I have worked on Snowmobile engines before, but this will be the first watercooled one I have torn into. What should I be looking for when I get it opened up?

Posted

Shoot me your addy in a PM and I can shoot you a DVD called "deep inside your 2 stroke rotax"  It will take you through it A to Z.  I also have pullers for the gear on B and C boxes I don't mind loaning out.  There really are no other specialty tools to tear the engine down other than a steering wheel puller for the mag and an allen wrench to drop in the hole to keep the crank from turning when your busting loose the big nut on the end of the crank.

dealing with the circlips on the pistons is a pain but using a screw driver you can do them.  I ground a little slot in the end of the screw driver to hold them, or you can file a notch in a set of needle nose pliers to help with the re-install.  The only other thing to pay attention to is putting the pie plate back on right. 

All in all, its a very easy engine to pull down and rebuild / reseal. 

:BC:

Posted

I picked up a puller for the a box gear, Not many AvidFoxes flying with it, but I would be willing to loan it out if someone needs it, I have my 277 rebuilt for the ultralight.