Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

M.E.K. Substitute?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

Need MEK, went to solvent aisle at my local Lowes and found "M.E.K. Substitute" only. Has anyone used this stuff sucessfully with the Poly-Fiber products, ie. Poly-tak and Poly-brush? Comments, thoughts, suggestions? Tnx

Posted

I use a solvent called "105 Gun and Equipment cleaner". Desinged for cleaning your painting tools 

paint gun and brushes, etc. It's a hot, fast, thinner type solvent.

My local A&E reccommended it and has used it for years with poly products.

My four planes have been painted using it.

I get it at a local auto parts store, Car Quest, in 5 gallon cans for less than $50.

A couple local stores have MEK in 1 gal cans for $40+,,WTF

Posted

I have no idea what it is. I bought a can then chickend out using it with Polyfiber. Managed to get by with a little real MEK I had left in a can. I took it back and got my money back. If someone does know what this stuff is and if it really is a viable substitute, I would love to know too!

ChrisB

Posted

I used acetone to thin all the polyfiber products.  No issues and is not as harsh as the MEK.

:BC:

Posted (edited)

Bob, are you saying that the 105 cleaner was used instead of the RR 8500 reducer to thin the poly-brush, poly-spray, and poly-tone? Also, Leni it seems that's what you used the acetone for? I tried to compare the MSDS sheets for the poly-fiber reducer to see how much difference there was in the different products. Didn't find a poly-fiber MSDS. I have another Avid to recover if the welder ever gets time for my fuselege. Jim

I use a solvent called "105 Gun and Equipment cleaner". Desinged for cleaning your painting tools 

paint gun and brushes, etc. It's a hot, fast, thinner type solvent.

My local A&E reccommended it and has used it for years with poly products.

My four planes have been painted using it.

I get it at a local auto parts store, Car Quest, in 5 gallon cans for less than $50.

A couple local stores have MEK in 1 gal cans for $40+,,WTF

Edited by Jim Chuk

Posted

Jim, 

Yes, I used it for all the thinning on the polyfiber products and for clean up of the brushes and spray gun.  The only thing I did not use it for was to clean up the epoxy primer, I had to get some thinner from the local auto parts store to clean up the epoxy.  I had ZERO issues using acetone used exactly as the book called out for MEK to be used.

Posted

I have used the MEK substitute extensively without issue for polyfiber products and other MEK uses. Ace Hardware and Home Depot carry only the substitite now. Walmart doesn't carry MEK or the substitute here. The label says that can be used anywhere MEK is called for.

Posted

Jim.. Yes I used the 105 for thinning all poly products instead of the MEK or 8500.

It of course it also serves for cleanup for poly and epoxy.

I also used a little acetone before finding out about the 105.

I thought there was no reason to pay $40 a gal when you get  5 gal for $50 

Bob (I have no idea why the type font changed)

Posted

Bob and you other guys that are having issues with the format.  The boxes at the top of the reply box (B I U) etc will make the font bold, italisized or underlined.  My guess is that you may be trying to hit the shift button and another key to capitalize a word, but are accidentaly hitting the control button and then I or B or U and that will trip the button to change the font.  I edited your reply Mr. Bob to change the font

1 person likes this

Posted

Jim.. Yes I used the 105 for thinning all poly products instead of the MEK or 8500.

It of course it also serves for cleanup for poly and epoxy.

I also used a little acetone before finding out about the 105.

I thought there was no reason to pay $40 a gal when you get  5 gal for $50 

Bob (I have no idea why the type font changed)

I was over to the local Auto paint store the other day, and asked about the 105 Gun and equiptment cleaner. This is what I found out. The lady who works the counter there is real sharp on what they sell and has worked there for many years. She showed me what is now called 105 lacquer thinner. She said it is the same stuff as the 105 cleaner, the name has just been changed. Actually before I went there, I had seen the 105 lacquer thinner on the web under Du Pont products and the 105 gun cleaner was not shown on that list. Anyway back to the story about what the gal at the paint store said. She told me it is just a low grade of lacquer thinner and that's why it's priced the way it is. I ended up not getting any at this time. Has anyone knowlingly used lacquer thinner to thin their poly fiber stuff? Thanks, Jim Chuk

Posted

Just wanted to re stir this pot.  I used lacquer thinner for my last recover job on the Kitfox wing.  When I taped it off with masking tape, I used the same blue tape that I've used before with poly fiber products.  Never had any problem before with the tape, but this time I had lots of tape residue left on the fabric.  When I read the warning on the tape, it say not to use with lacquer.....  Wish I had read that before.  I called 3M Scotch today to see what they recommend to use for masking tape with lacquer.  The lady seemed very well informed about this, and gave some suggestions on how to remove the tape residue.  She said I was lucky if didn't lift the paint or make it rough, as that often happens.  What she said to use for tape is their green 2060 masking tape.  I got some this evening, and there were two different shades of green 3M masking tape there.  The 2060 is the lighter color shade of green of the two.  Anyway, hope this helps someone who read the rest of this thread and was going to go with the lacquer thinner.  It seems to work just great, except for the tape problem.  Jim Chuk

Posted

Thanks TJay, I used something like that a few years ago, might have been the same stuff.  Then I found out I had no problems with the blue masking tape so used that as it's 1/2 the price.  Can't use the blue with the lacquer though.  I forgot to mention that with the green 2060 tape, you have to remove it within 3 days.  I believe it sticks better than the blue tape as well.  Jim Chuk